all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Since coming to Paris, I've felt somewhat at a loss. I've been alienated...I don't feel connected to people or places like I thought I would

I hope things pick up for you @Philippe Geoffrion

For temporary relief, you could also make the trip over to:
108 Faubourg d'Ambrail
Epinal 88000
France

They have a SFL & SFG II gym that you could spend some time at with other lifters

Edit: I just looked up how long it takes to travel from Paris to Epinal... Maybe not the best option for quick relief

Last edited:
I hope things pick up for you @Philippe Geoffrion

For temporary relief, you could also make the trip over to:
108 Faubourg d'Ambrail
Epinal 88000
France

They have a SFL & SFG II gym that you could spend some time at with other lifters

Edit: I just looked up how long it takes to travel from Paris to Epinal... Maybe not the best option for quick relief

Thank you @Kiacek! I've found a potential gym but will make do for now at the park. It is called Athletique Planete and I have plans to visit as soon as opportunity arises.

Great to see you found a way to train and exercise, especially despite the means you have. Shows your motivation.

Hope things pick up for you on the social side. It can be very stressful and it's worth prioritizing to get it fixed in a timely manner. Do you have any social circles where you study at?

Great to see you found a way to train and exercise, especially despite the means you have. Shows your motivation.

Hope things pick up for you on the social side. It can be very stressful and it's worth prioritizing to get it fixed in a timely manner. Do you have any social circles where you study at?

Thank you @Antti . Indeed, it is my sanctuary to lift. Actually, I've met some new good people, my current woes are mostly financial and frustration with other things in France like Fedex delivering my package to the wrong address, which was a time sensitive package, however things are gradually getting better. I've made some friends and we went to the "red light" district near Moulin Rouge the other night and drank wine merrily in the streets. Twas a nice time that I needed.

Barbell

Yates Row w/ 52 Kg + bar x 5 x 3 sets
Hollow Body Floor Press- w/ 52 kg + bar x 5 x 3 sets
Jefferson DL - w/ 104 kg + bar x 5 x 2 sets (per stance)

Front Lever practice
Handstand Pushups on Wall x 4,4,4

Came back to the park with another plate later so now I have 6 x 26 kg plates and did heavier Jefferson singles x 3 per leg w/ 156 kg + bar. Felt very solid.

Did hollow body Floor press because been trying to find a way to make horizontal presses with 52 kg weight on bar, which is probably about 135 lbs. total. I estimate the bar to be about 8-9 kg? The hollow body gives it a little, incline-ish, and no leg support, so what else can I do. 104 kg floor press is pretty hard with the fat bar, and I've lost weight since moving to France from walking / not being able to eat as much from budgeting.
The new plates can help me make an incline to rest my back on for pressing. Also, there is a "knee raise station" I've found adequate for potentially doing squats/heavy supports or overloads for the press (like doing push press starts w/ 104 kg) so I may start toying with that, as I haven't squatted heavy in a while, but have done Zercher squats. I may try some cluster singes on Front squats tomorrow with 104 kg. the only fear is...will the bar tip when I load the plates?

“Trap Bar” DL- 150 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets
Incline Bench w/ pause - 54 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets
F.S. w/ 3 second Pause - 54 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets

3 Rounds
One Arm Chin eccentrics x 1 per Arm
Planche Holds

Bridges + stretches

The trap bar is just me gripping the plates instead of bar. Incline steep as done with back on stack of plates. Front squats pretty easy. Planche is progressing as are one arm eccentrics. Pleased with this for now.

Single Arm DL (front) 52 kg + Bar x 5 x 5 sets
Floor Press- 104 kg + Bar - 1 x 4 sets
Sumo DL - 156 kg + Bar - x 1 x 3 sets
O.H. Top Half press - 52 kg. + Bar x 5 x 2 sets

Later Session
Squat-104 kg + Bar x 5 x 2 sets

Did quite a bit of strength work. Am finding new ways to lift the bar while only have these 26 kg plates. Single arm deadlift felt stronger today than last time I did them suitcase style. My grips is definitely getting a workout every time I lift. Wonder what the transfer over to a standard size would be like. Succeeding in elevating the 104 (115?) kg off the floor in the floor press 4 times, which satisfied me, but the 5th it barely moved. It is an upper body deadlift, for sure. Also tried a very heavy sumo with the fat bar, which indeed was a strong 3 pulls. Felt the pressing patterns needed a little more volume, so I did top half presses, push pressing the weight overhead and lowering to forehead (sticking point) level and pressing to the finish. These really help practice the wedging principle as well as make the pressing muscles work pretty hard. later in the day, I wanted to see if the "ab station" I'd discovered would make an adequate squat rack. It appears that it will! I am very happy with my little gym set up right now, and park observers really seem interested/confused and impressed by what I do there. It's been quite a highlight in my days...which wasn't what I originally imagined in moving to Paris. Here is what it actually looks like.

Floor Press success! Will add singles as I go along

Single Arm DL to front w/ Fat Bar

Sumo DL felt very solid/Hardstyle lifting

And this is how I squat, lost a little depth but not bad for no warmup/not squatting for almost a month

SG high pull - w/ 52 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets
Clean and Press - 2 x5 sets (2 plates)
Front Squat 1 x 3 sets (4 plates)
Reverse Lunge w/ FS rack- 5 x 2 sets (2plates)

Planche/ Lever holds + swings, wrestlers bridge and stretching.

Easier to refer to plates since bar weight unknown and only plate size is 26 kg. The number of plates is total plates, not plates per side.

Was a little sore in hamstrings/low back and chest from heavy day prior. DL, Floor presser snd squatted on the heavier side. Constant similar but different approach. I like lifting daily but I must vary constantly to do so a pull, push and squat. Mobility and flow precede sessions. Higher rep, far from failure, light pump calisthenics seem to help, as well as swings. First time I’ve really been sore.

My strength goals remain.

Have taken it easy past few days as heavy sessions have now increased fatigue, joint stress and muscle soreness. For next few days until I am completely healed, I will abstain from barbell (pipe) and do mostly easy high rep calisthenics. The goal of these workouts is not to kill myself but to merely.

1)Increase blood flow
2)restore tissue length
3)take muscles/joints through full ROM with light loads

Today

5 circuits
Bodyweight Row- x 10
Elevated Feet Pushp x 15
Step -up on 3 plates- x 10
Full Body Swings- x 10

Here is a consolidated list of barbell lifts I can use

Squat-Front, Zercher, Back

Pulls- Row, High Pulls, Power Cleans

Deadlifts- Conv, Sumo, BTB, SG, Single arm, Single Leg, Jefferson, Zercher

Horiz Press- Floor Press, Bridge Press, Incline

Vertical Press- Press, Push Press, BTN, Jerk

This doesn’t even include modifications like partial/ extended ROM or leverage manipulation. I can make the bridge press harder by stacking plates and resting my back on them thus a bench less bench. I can also make the floor press easier by elevating the plates. Pauses, slow negatives, holds will be my friend in times to come as I make my way with this programming.

Felt thoroughly refreshed after 1 day off via calisthenics and neural workout and went heavy again!

Day 1
Trap Lift- 208 kg + bar x 1 x 3 sets
Floor Press lockout- 104 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets
Anderson Squat- 156 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets

A super heavy night. Mostly top end training, i.e. supramaximal lifts. Felt strong. I thing I will be able to soon deadlift regularly the 4 x 26 plates and squat the 156 kg at full range. Floor press should be coming along. Stacked two plates high for floor press, which is one plate higher than from the floor pretty much, taking my elbows into consideration. Trap lift is probably the lift I can handle the most weight on, as the R.O.M is quite short. I also found my Jefferson deadlift is quiet strong, may be able to do 208 kg on the lift as well. Both legs seems to be quiet equal on this lift. Next session I will add a few ore singles with trap lift, and add plats under my feet for Anderson squats to increase R.O.M. as the "rack" I use does not adjust.

Trap Bar lift @ 208 Kg. Hard to center and grip is limiter. The recorded lift looked the most lopsided

Lockouts. Using Paul Anderson's technique to get stronger. These are pretty easy compared to the last R.O.M I did. Thinking of how to progress a little more subtly like adding a mat under my back next time?

Anderson Squats. Once again, bar being balanced is an issue which is why I don't lockout the first few reps. Maybe I should mark the bar with a pen. Nonetheless, feeling stronger everyday.

Day 2

Session 1
A.M.
1.5 reps method/lighter weight, harder reps

Elevated Snatch Grip DL -56 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets
Incline Press -56 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets
Front Squat- 56 kg + Bar x 5 x 3 sets

Implored the 1.5 method to make weights harder and practice flaws in technique. Basically, a pause is used at midpoint, then a return to start, then a full rep. This is one rep. Really helps me train the bottom twice as much as the lockout, which is a nice way to go light after heavy session yesterday and train the bottom of the lift harder after training the top. This definitely added work without adding extra reps per se, so I like that I discovered this method.

Snatch Grip DL (elevated pauses)- grip becomes limiter. During pause, I focus on keeping lats tight and chest up and bar near bottom. Upper back really works hard on this lift, something I want.

Incline press- Pause at sticky point, then go bac down. A good supplemental lift for both my horizontal press and standing press. No leg drive here as legs are straight out, all pure upper body pressing.

Front Squat
Here, I focus on keeping my elbows up and torso upright. This makes the upper back and quads work harder, as opposed to my stronger low back and hips. This will certainly help my back squat, as my quads and upper are naturally the least efficient movers in the lift.

Session 2
P.M.
Dynamic Session

Pendlay Row w/ Supine Grip- 56 kg+ Bar x 3 x 5 sets
Jerk- 56 kg x 3 x 5 sets
Box Squat to Jump- 56 kg x 3 x 5 sets

Another way to help recovery by using lighter weights after a heavy session. Explosive sessions teach aggressiveness and drive out of the hole. I really don't feel the need to train power cleans, since I have to do them before so many exercises anyways.

Jerk is satisfying violent.

Box squat jumps. The jumps aren't super high but it's good to do them as to never decelerate through the lift. Also will help my squat.

Day 3
Heavy

Conventional Rack pull- 156 kg x 3 x3
Bridge Press (back elevated) 104 kg x 3 x 3
Zercher Squat (knee dominant) 104 kg x 3 x 3

Another heavy day. Conventional pulls felt very strong, done off of one plate per side. Wanted to follow yesterday's work with a shorter R.O.M and heavier work. Maybe Snatch Grip rack pulls with 104 kg will be in mix, through the grip aspect will be murder. Elevated my back on bridge presses. This was a bit scary as it was hard to position and set up at first, however it makes the bridge press more horizontal, as the back is closer to hip height meaning the torso doesn't aid in tossing the barbell but the legs still help with the wedge. If I add two more plates to my back, the press will be nearly horizontal, like a bench press with no bench for my bottom. I feel my quads are getting stronger, especially in zerchers today, which I usually use a more hip dominant motion. Still focusing on bringing up my thighs to help my squat, as the hips are getting plenty of work all ready and bring up my quads/upper back and core ar going to really help me squat the 156 kilograms goal.

Conventional Rack Pull

Leverage disadvantage Bridge Press.

Zercher Squat with focus on staying upright.

Clean jump Shrug- 4 x 26 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
Bridge Press/Lowered Hips 4 x 26 kgs x 3 x 3 sets
Anderson Squats- 6 x 26 kgs x 5 x 3 sets

Mod bridge press means hips are just off ground and there's no resting of bar on ground. No thrust assistance from torso and pressing muscles take constant tension. Tis a closer step to a regular floor press, which is the hardest of all the horizontal press variations, until I elevate my back.

Andy Squats

These two workouts were done the same day as the previous heavy workout.

Session 2
Single Leg DL- 2 x 26 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
Press start + Push Press-2 x 26 kgs x 4 x 3 sets
Wall Squats- 2 x 26 kg plates x 5 x 3 sets

Press starts + push press. Surprisingly hard! But works the full range of motion of the press in parts. Ways to modify pressing.

These wall squats were a good idea that didn't pan out to well. Wanted to thighs harder but resistance too light and I can not clean and put 4 x 26 plates over my head onto back to squat.

Session 3
P.M.
The wind was a nightmare today and the rain harsh but felt like pressing. You can see me getting blown around by the hefty gusts!
Succeeded in doing 3 x3 with O.H. Press with 2 x 26 kgs plates and bar! Closing in on 5 reps.

After these 3 day sessions was feeling beat up so I did one morning session at park which was this

3 rounds of
15 Dips
10 Chinups
15 Pushups
10 Horizontal Rows
10 Renegade Lunges
10 SIngle Leg DL
25BW Squats
20 toe touch/back bends

Then an evening D.E. session of
6 x 3 of
Speed Chinups
Plyo Pushups
Broad jumps then Swings (cuz I hurt my knee =( )

I felt very beat up after the multi day lifting days and hurting my knee jumping. So now, I take a few days just doing BW and yoga exercises then will resume heavy lifting. Trying to organize my schedule a bit in this time, make necessary adjustment and such. Goals remain the same

Oh man, got busy but still trained. Before I took a spontaneous trip to Amsterdam and Brussels for a week ( fun times) I also got the strength goal of the 2x 26 kg plates + bar overhead press for 5 reps. I also floor presses 4x 26 plates twice after bridging for the first rep. The first floor press rep, from the bottom position, is usually the hardest so if I want to improve this lift I’ll have to have impeccable start position and strength. These lifts were before my weeklong vacation and today, my first day back, I was definitely sluggish after a week of beer binging, Belgium waffles 3x a day and no lifting. I tested out my main lifts to see where I stand.

Pull progressions
Power Clean x 5 w 2 x 26 plates
Clean Shrug x 3 x 3 w/ 4 x 26 kg plates
Jefferson DL x 1 per side w 6 x 26 kg plates

Floor Press
w/ 2 x 26 plates- 10, 10, 10, 20 (varied grips)

Squats
10 x 3 sets w/ 2 x 26 plates

Evening
Press
2 x 26 kg plates x 1, 2, 3

Conventional DL
2 x 1 set w/ 6 x 26 kg plates

Bridge Press
5 x 1 set w/ 4 x 26 kg plates

Zercher Squats
3 x 3 w/ 4 x 26 kg plates

Chins, KNR, grip work/band work.

Noticed my DL off the ground got an extra rep. Had trouble in the evening session. For many of my lifts (including the DL), my right side was weaker on all lifts. I was imbalanced. I thought it was just bar being not centered or my weaker right shoulder acting up but When inspecting the weights after the zercher, I noticed one of the plates was noticeably heavier, even though it says 26 kegs on the plate. When I looked underneath, I found that this particular plate had cement dried in the divots on its underside. Mystery solved.

Back
Top Bottom