all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Power-wheel roll out

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I am a 30 year old man. I have worked out for some years, and have been doing kettlebell for around two years.

Now I am working on getting a full power-wheel roll-out, that means a roll-out where I stand on my feet. From the knees I can do ten reps all the way down.

Any suggestions on how I should train to be able to reach my goal of a full power-wheel roll-out as quickly as possible ?

Thanks for all advice :)

Hey,

From my experience, and no matter the exercise (pull up, push up, hanging leg raises...) I always try to add 1 rep for each set, at each workout. If I can't add 1 rep at each set, nevermind, on a long term perspective, it works. Strength takes time

Another idea:The Fighter Pullup By Pavel Here it is for pull ups, but you can take the same progression schedule.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Anders :
First, from knees to standing rollouts is not a further step, but a whole new level. A VERY IMPORTANT thing is the SETUP: when starting take a breath into your belly, and tense the abs really hard, shoulders into the armpits to tense the lat, pull up the kneecaps, to tense the quads really hard, and the glutes, too, although you won't feel it in the starting position, because they are stretched. The further the rollout, the more the hips extend, the harder you should tense and feel the glutes. This is very important.

Second, it could be a way, to only try controlled negatives. Roll out in a tensed and controlled manner, and go down on your knees, when you feel, that your back is beginning to sack or hyperextend. Maybe you could stand in front of a wall, and roll out until hitting it. You could set markers on where your feet are, and when the distance is easy, just go a little further. Low reps, long rest between a few sets, practiced relatively frequently should build up rollout strength nicely. In the beginning your abs will be REALLY sore.

Last edited:
Good suggestions from Harald.

Rolling out toward a wall to limit range of motion is very useful for transitioning to standing and progressing range of motion over time.

Hey,

You can also use a TRX for this exercise. If you don't have one (or an equivalent), you can tie a rope to you pull up bar and make a loop to the other extremity. Then you hold the rope thanks to the loop and do your stuff.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've mentioned this several times before - use a board on an angle to adjust the level of difficulty. I have a board that's roughly a sheet of 3/4" plywood, ripped lengthwise. I think mine is 30" wide and 72" long. When I haven't done these in a while, I put the top of the board on the 4th step of a flight of steps and stay there until I feel I have good form and full extension, and only then do I begin to lower the end of the board. The OP asked about accomplishing this quickly - that ain't gonna happen, in my experience.

Harald gives a number of very good tips. I will add one - think about arching your lower back up towards the ceiling as you start. I consider the starting position of the standing wheel rollout to be much like a power toe touch - I am really pushing the wheel hard into the ground while at the same time trying to arch my lower back up.

Don't underestimate how different full extension feels. You might even go so far as to simply practice it standing up against a wall, just to get the feeling of rolling all the way out and keeping tight in the right ways.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom