all posts post new thread

Old Forum Powerlifting beginnings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Siemens, do YOU want to be stronger or your girlfriend want you to be stronger  ? If you are really motivate, studies are not a good excuse to miss this Barbell course run by Pavel and Dr Hartle.

Siemens, do YOU want to be stronger or your girlfriend want you to be stronger  ? If you are really motivate, studies are not a good excuse to miss this Barbell course run by Pavel and Dr Hartle.

Thank you for the explanation Journeyman.

Christine, off course it is I who want to get stronger. And yes, my studies are more important. So I do not agree with you. Lifting is what I want to do in my spare time. Without his studies, Pavel would not give this course I think. My motivation is my own concern.

Seconded. I'm a student--and though I may spend a lot of time studying for my training on my own time, the barbells definitely are a secondary concern to, say, my upcoming master's degree.

I do not think it is prudent to make such rash judgments about a person's life and motivation. Everyone is free to set their own priorities in life, and set their own budgets. "Strong First" does not mean "first in one's life", but strength first in the context of physical training. Family and personal relationships, education, personal finances, etc can all come rightfully first in one's life.

@Jo, not a judgement, just a question after Siemens first post.

@Siemes, I didn't write  " it is not important to study " but " it is possible and important to manage studies with " sports ", it is my opinion only.

@ All, sorry but my Internet connection is not the best, the reason why my post x 2

@ All, still think a luck to have a SF course in Italy  if you live in Belgium. In australia, to attend a certification we all flew to USA, at least 15 hours flights, there is students certified in USA too !

It is not safe to give online training programm or exercises without more informations and VERY unsafe for a beginner.

A Strenght training program work, based on S.M.A.R.T principles ( S for specificity , M for...). To be able to do " power lifting , you must be strong first.

Christine, the question was understandable and definitely an important one to consider. I was referring to the 'studies are no excuse'.

I think it's perfectly fine to prescribe programs on the internet. All my learning has been from online and books and I've been okay thus far--partly because I push when I can and back off when I must, and take a pretty cerebral approach to training in general. Others might not be so cautious, but that is entirely their business. I personally plan on attending a SF cert soon when I have the time and money (again--student!) but I really don't believe it's *completely* necessary for *everyone* to be certified just to train in their basement... or that it's unsafe to start benching and deadlifting by oneself. That's the reason 'power to the people', for example, exists in the first place....

Journeyman, I respect your opinion, The  SFG certification is not the most important you are right, but the knowledges of Pavel and Dr Hartle are, if your goal is to get strong.

Whatever the exercises, using a bad technique is not safe, this is why I wrote first to find a SFG instructors or use an online training thought Skype as Brett Jones is doing. If this " blind " training work for you ? I don't know...possible, books are also a different approach of learning because you can choose a book written by a professional ( Power to the people ), anyway best of luck in your studies and training, same for Siemens.

It is not safe to give online training programm or exercises without more informations and VERY unsafe for a beginner.
That is true, and I think in adult discourse, there is an implicit understanding about this. However, we cannot be paralyzed because of a disclaimer society. I for one have never talked to a doctor or any healthcare professional about what I do, and I really do not think many others have either. That is just to cover any gaps, as it is possible for any given person to have some unknown condition or factor which would need to be addressed first.

The risk of training is always there, but that shouldn't stop people who are willing. Getting personal coaching from a highly knowledgeable and experienced source is perhaps the "best" option, however, that may be premature optimization for most people. While the OP wrote of "powerlifting", it does not seem that competition is the goal. Having the motivation to learn and to work is far more important than finding the right guru.
@Joseph, not a judgement, just a question after Siemens first post.
I was addressing this statement mostly:
If you are really motivate, studies are not a good excuse to miss this Barbell course run by Pavel and Dr Hartle.
While those who ask questions usually want answers, and all sorts of answers can be given, but in an open society, we cannot be too pushy with our convictions on others. I am personally a proponent of training at home, and with calisthenics first and the center of training. Aside from sport specific training, I think that is the best thing to do. Naturally, I would advise others to follow the path I have found to be so fruitful, but I am hardly going to push it, or doubt motivation of others for doing what they want to do. And as I have found to be a good way to end such posts:

This is just advice...do whatever you want to do.

Your studies first! I agree!

If you can make it to the cert, do it! Don't affect your study though.

The 80/20 powerlifting routine run really good along my studying. But now I have other things in family yo attend to, I put training to the slow burners and do things like Program Minimum, Power To The People, Easy Strength, Even Easier Strength...etc

"Whatever the exercises, using a bad technique is not safe, this is why I wrote first to find a SFG instructors or use an online training thought Skype as Brett Jones is doing. If this ” blind ” training work for you ? I don’t know…possible, books are also a different approach of learning because you can choose a book written by a professional ( Power to the people ), anyway best of luck in your studies and training, same for Siemens."

I believe that there is more than one 'safe technique' and that this really depends on individual factors. Of course, 'textbook form' should be learned first, but I really think that most people of average intelligence can figure out how to squat with the aid of a few books and videos, though hands-on instruction would definitely be even better.

As for 'blind training', I've never met or trained with an actual fitness professional... I'm not terribly strong but despite not being built for power at all (tiny wrists/bone structure), and having a lot of inherent weaknesses (bad knees, back, shoulders, pelvic imbalance) I've worked up to a nearly triple bodyweight deadlift, full one arm chins with each arm, and a bodyweight military press, as well as being pretty good with some other bodyweight exercises--pistols, handstand pushups, one arm pushups, etc.

@ Journeyman, We are suppose to be free to do wathever you want, I agree.

" to play the game safe " is a part of my job,  try to prevent injuries is the most important when you are dealing with " sports people ". You are reading this forum and you know that a lot of people have pains, medical conditions or musculoskeletal disorders. Many wieghtlifters, power lifters or bodybuilders to stay only in " strenght training " have all sorts of pains due to bad techniques.

That's why I prefer to give safety guidelines, but do wathever you want to do...

@ Joseph, I agree, in an open society, you can give your opinion and I can give my opinion either. Guru ? If we are posting on this forum, must be for some good reasons ? I don't think that " guru " is the best tittle for Pavel, but I must check in the dictionary.

@ Journeyman, with books and DVD, not the same story ! I agree.

Siemen, there are different versions of 5x5; I prescribed the one in which all sets are 

with the same weight.

Pick a weight you can do at least two strong sets of five with and do five sets. (A standard Russian guideline is 7RM.)  The last sets will be fours or threes.  Do not attempt a rep unless you are 100% sure you will make it. “Save your strength for the next set.” (Faleev)  In successive workouts add reps when you can do it with confidence until you are up to 5x5.  E.g.,

5, 5, 4, 3, 3
5, 5, 4, 4, 3
5, 5, 5, 4, 3
5, 5, 5, 4, 4
5, 5, 5, 5, 4
5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom