all posts post new thread

Barbell Powerlifting improved?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The “judging problem” with the Press is just the result of a bunch of Olympic politics, ineptitude, and a bit of venality. There’s a whole big history out on line somewhere (it might’ve been written by Bill Starr, I can’t remember) discussing the history of the unraveling of the Press in international competition. Way more than you’d ever actually need to know. .

I imagine the article you are thinking about is this one by John Fair.

What about push press instead of press? According to Glenn Pendlay (Better Than CrossFit and Powerlifting | T Nation) it is easier to judge.

Even the push press can create a judging problem. I know when I go heavy on push presses it is very tempting to get that last rep in by slightly bending the knees turning the lift into somewhat of a power jerk.

I would say the easiest lift to judge and one that would be fun to watch is to allow the lifter to take the bar from the racks and put it overhead anyhow. That means the lifter can do a jerk but it would not need to comply with the rules for the jerk that require that the movement be finished on straight arms with no press out at the end. I think a few years back there was some noise being made in Olympic weightlifting to eliminate the no press out rule but nothing came of it. I think the log press in strongman is something of an overhead anyhow because I've seen competitors use leg drive and press out at the top, and that was a good lift. The log lift is super fun. This implement is more awkward to lift than it looks. But I think a log lift might be moving too far away from traditional powerlifting, I don't know.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom