all posts post new thread

Barbell Powerlifting routine questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Krabapplekid

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi All
I am a 33 yo male with a long background of weightlifting and kettle bells. I have always found it hard to squat and deadlift at the same time. All of my significant gains in the past is due to focusing on one lift for a month or two without performing the other.

I seem to respond well to high frequency routines. Never had much success squatting or deadlifting once a week. Also I stand all day at work so long marathon workouts are out. So here is my current routine, please comment on the pros and cons if you have attempted such a routine.

I lift every other day, so 14 workouts over 28 days, alternating workouts A and B.

A: bench press 5x5 then squat 5x5-8 reps
B: Classic press 4x5 then deadlift 5x5

Most days I perform a light warmup set 50% 1RM, then two sets at 70-85%, then two sets at 85-95%, for both lifts that day. My squat technique is wide stance, hips back, minimal dorsiflexion in the hole. My deadlift of choice is sumo.

I keep reps and intensity slightly lower on classic press because I do not want my cervicothorasic spine stiff at work, I keep squat reps and intensity slightly higher because it has no negative effect on my workday unless I am overtraining or sick. Which I currently am not.

My plan is progressive overload. Once intensity gets to high to lift every other day I will lift every three days so 7 workouts over 21 days.

Any comments are appreciated. A powerlifting book for intermediate lifters by Pavel would be great. I love the advice in PTTP Professional and Marty's Purposful n Primative however neither have a routine that fits my needs.

Hey Krabapple

I noticed you are doing a 5x5 format and doing up to 8 reps on the squat, are you training for competition power lifting ?

From what I understand the phosphate energy system can deliver over about 6-8 seconds max (some say 10 sec) and then other metabolic pathways come into play. So if you are training for maximum strength 8 reps for the squat is really pushing the envelope.

If you are training for power then 8 reps is not so bad but it needs to be done at a reduced load as compared to the percentage of your 1rm for a 5x5 workout.

When I was doing squats and deads, I was doing 2 or 3 reps when training for raw strength and when I trained for power I was doing 5-12 reps at a reduced weight and an increased speed. My training was sport specific (cycling) so your mileage may vary.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom