all posts post new thread

Old Forum "Practice" ideas

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

03swing21

Level 1 Valued Member
Greetings friends,

I have been on S&S now for about 6 weeks and enjoying it very much. It's nice to settle into a program and feel stronger as a result of it. I had never thought 32kg one armed swings were within my reach in my last few years as a kettlebell enthusiast but I am now starting to compress my rest periods with the swings in pursuit of the Simple goal. I'm even putting a little bit of mass on as well, which was a surprise. Interesting and encouraging for sure

With that said, I want to start practicing the more advance lifts, being the clean, press and snatch, before my S&S workout. I am not sure if I going straight to the RoP once accomplishing the Simple goal (probably will be covered in a future thread) but I at least want to gain some experience and technique in the lifts. I am rereading ETK now. At the risk of being neurotic, I am wondering if anyone has any rep/set schemes they have used to get a solid practice in these movements while still being able to attack the swings with the proper intensity. I know it is not rocket science but I just want to ensure solid improvement on the swings, hopefully reaching the Simple goal by the end of the month. Thanks all for your time.

For solid improvement on the swings, just keep doing S&S :)

If you wanna learn the clean, press and the snatch, find a certified coach in your area :)

Invest in a few sessions with an SFG. I have studied every book by Pavel, and memorized most of his videos. I also went to a 2 day seminar. I was feeling pretty good about my form on the basics.

Then I went to see a good coach and learned so much more. There is no substitute for the individual instruction from an SFG. A few little tweaks were made, and now I am learning how to properly apply the strength I have.

Kettlebell training is more a kin to a martial art than "lifting weights". It is really hard to learn without expert guidance.

I would probably just follow the same advice in ETK about learning/practicing the C&P and snatch. Just do some reps before S&S to learn the drills.

I would probably do 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps in the press, and 1-2 sets of 3-5 reps in the snatch, both with a moderate kettlebell. Enough to get a good practice in the drills, but not enough to take away from your S&S session.

And keep in mind that the goal is to just learn/practice good technique in both. You're not trying to progress in weight or reps at this time.

And of course, it's always good to have your form checked by a certified coach.

Like others say, I don't think you can go wrong with an SFG coach.

My personal opinion is to not do much practice of lifts while on another program. Especially if you are thinking of a specific rep/set scheme to get used to them.

For me, this can detract from the actual program. Not necessarily in a physical way, but it can draw you away from the program mentally as it gets pretty easy to become excited about the next thing.

And physically, I believe focusing on the simple goal will do just as much for you as practicing these other moves. The clean and snatch, like the swing, can take a long, long time to really get good at. A few reps over the next few weeks will help a little bit. Then you'll get into the ROP and find your form continues to improve for a long time. If you don't practice the moves during S&S, you'll probably find your first week of ROP is something of a break in time, which is fine, as the volume is really low. After a month or two, I don't think you would be further ahead or behind on either approach.

That's just my own outlook on following the programs. Think about what works best for you.

Great input by all thanks as always.

I just recently used the SFG search function and there are several within easy driving distance of me, so that is absolutely something I will invest in here very shortly.

brian d, excellent point about trying not to get excited about new things. Save for a few month long stint of the RoP several years ago, I have been somewhat of a program jumper here and there. When I first read S&S, I thought to myself "there is no way I am going to be able to focus on just goblet squats, swings and get ups near daily". I didn't doubt the program, I doubted my own focus. Well thanks to a ridiculous work schedule right now it has fit the bill perfectly. It is nice not having to put any thought into my strength training. And on top of that, many of the physical tasks at my job (USMC) have been noticeably easier here in the last week. It is much easier to stay on a program that gives tangible results in other areas (WTH?!?)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom