all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jacob DeRossett

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

Newly certified instructor and relatively new to kettlebell training and StrongFirst. I wish I would have found this site in 2003 when I started training, but alas, I am here now!

Background:
At 12 years old I would ride the bus to Walmart after school each day where I wait for my mom to finish work. I read every magazine in the store I could find that talked about training, diet etc. I've been thinking about exercise constantly ever since.

I have a diverse physical background, a proper master of none; shooting sports, American football, cheerleading, ultimate frisbee, powerlifting, judo, BJJ, Crossfit, olympic weightlifting, strongman. I got off the school bus at Walmart as a 12 year old, while waiting for my mom to get finish work, I would read every magazine in the store that talked about training, diet etc. I've been thinking about exercise constantly ever since.

Current training:
One thing that attracted me about kettlebell training is the accessibility, healing components, and the general unobtrusiveness of the kettlebell. I love that I can elicit a potent physical response, in a short amount of time, and have plenty of energy for other forms of movement (as you'll see from my log). I love experimenting with multiple things at once and I choose protocols that allow that. In the coming months I will maintain what you see now, but, towards the end of the year I plan on beginning my pursuit of Sinister. Enjoy!

Abbreviations:
Q&D =" The Quick and The Dead" by Pavel
GGP = "Great Game Protocol" by Pavel Macek
OAPU = One Arm Push-up
CARS = Controlled Articular Rotations

Programing:
Q&D MWF: Week 3
-dice roll to determine sets and reps.
-speed push-ups with a float at the top
-one arm 32kg swings
-two arm 32kg swings (I'm waiting on my 40kg bell, I'm sure I'll test out of the 32kg)
-not yet using over speed eccentrics

Steel Club Training TTH: Week 3 (15lb club)
-two hand shield casts
-two hand inside circles
-two hand outside circles
-each hand is done EMOTM plenty of rest each time.
-week 1: 10x5 / 10x6
-week 2: 8x7 / 8x8
-week 3: 6x9 / 6x10

GGP MWF (after Q&D)
-10-20 hindu push-ups
-20-40 hindu squats
-10-20 T-spine bridges
-slowly working these numbers up each session to eventually triple digits per exercises. (hopefully).

OAPU & Pistols TTH (after steel club)
-3-5 sets
-1-3 reps
-building these up because I have a outdoor class I'm teaching and need these to demo tension techniques.

Daily work:
-CARS standing
-GGP arm swings 50-100 reps
-Pressing RESET
-Neck training
-Calf training
-PT stretches for (QL ,calf, hip flexor, psoas, glutes)

Last edited:
As life would have it my schedule as changed, before I could even make my first post no less. As life goes. So yesterday I did some club practice to test some new progressions for students. Pressed reset one time and did CARs, get-ups and deadlifts several times to demo for students.

Today: my wife wanted to start the "160 seconds a day keeps the doctor away program." Which I love and we both work from home so that's been added to my training load, I've also decided to switch the Q&D to snatches because it saves more time and my swings are mostly taken care of. I'll post a reply later with my results in the testing of the snatches for that program. But all I've done today so far is Super Joints and 75 swings so far.

Yesterdays Practice
Warm-up:
Combination of -
-breathing (I've been reading BREATH by: James Nestor, tried his alternate nostril breathing before and after training)
-RESETS
-CARs
-mobility exercises.

Club training:
EMOTM for 30:00
-sets 1-10: Two hand pullover x3 Two hang shield cast x 3 alternating arms each minute (5/5)
-sets 10-20: One hand inside circle x 3 Two hand inside circle x3 alternating arms each minute (5/5)
-sets 20-30: One hand outside circle x 3 Two hand outside circle x3 alternating each minute (5/5)

Recovery:
800m-1000m ruck with the club in my bag at the park I did the session in. I love training outside.

Practice Yesterday

Q&D streamline:
10 swings left
10 push-ups
10 swings right
10 push-ups
*each exercises is performed on the 1:30 for 10 rounds each for swing and push-up. I made a mistake and didn't do the second set of push-ups after the right arm swing, I had a feeling something was wrong and the math wasn't adding up. Just goes to show that you must read what Pavel writes 50 times before even starting the program.

Did some RESET based stuff and Indo board during the day.

Today's Practice

120 seconds of swings based on Fabios 160 second protocol.

Q&D minimal volume snatches:
-sets of 5, 40 reps total

finished with some Get-ups.
(2/2) 24kg (1/1) 32kg

I've been craving some get-ups lately. Thinking I'll add them in on my lower volume days.
Experimented with some different breathing techniques as per the book BREATH.

Yesterday's Practice

6 rounds of "GTG swings" (5 sets of 3 alternating hands each set, rest :45 after each set) rest 1 hour after each set.

Rolled the dice and:
Q&D for 12:00
One arm swings, push-ups. sets of 5/4

Played around with some different RESET variations during the day and during my rests of my GTG swings.

Friday's Practice

Rolled the dice over the weekend and was told to not train so I didn't. On Friday I did 6 rounds of GTG swings and hung out.

I believe on Thursday last week I did something fun:
3 rounds of:
1:00 goofy into board ride
1:00 proper info board ride
1:00 mace 360's 10/10

After I attempted a 2:00 elevated crawl but had to switch to a baby crawl after about 1:00, still passively working towards a 10:00 elevated crawl.

Yesterday's Practice

GTG swings for 6 rounds (5x3 alternating hands = 1 rounds) 24kg/2 rounds, 32kg/4 rounds

Q&D 60 reps
-two arm swings / 40kg sets of 10
-burpee / sets of 10 x 2 rounds then I scaled to only 5 reps because I was too winded for the training. I'll need to keep burpees at reduced reps moving forward until I get more conditioned.

RESET as a cool down
GGP in the morning, I'm taking another stab at this program, trying to stick it out this time. Historically my hip doesn't like it, but I'm going to be more diligent about the night time stretching thistle around and give it at least a month. Adding in more arm swings seems to be very helpful in getting me warmed up for the sun salutations.

Yesterday's Practice

GTG swings for 4 rounds all with the 24kg

Rolled a no on Q&D

lots of foam rolling, and stretching, adductors very sore from swings and burpees from yesterday.

Yesterday's Practice

GGP still feeling pretty good.

GTG swings for 4 rounds all with the 24kg

Rolled a no on Q&D

Really wanted to train some get-ups so I did.
10x1 get-ups OTM 24kg
-Directly into-
10x10 one arm swings OTM 24kg

then I played 2 hours of sand volleyball. I'm very happy with how I felt and moved, I went down hard several times and feel great today, all my joint and strength training have been serving me really well.

Thursday's Practice

I was pretty tired and sore so I didn't do swings, I did my GGP and some reset stuff and went to the pool and traded water for a bit.

Fridays Practice

GTG swings 2 sets 24kg 4 sets 32Kg
10x1 get-up EMOTM 2x24kg 2x32kg 6x24kg

Saturdays Practice (back at the barn at my parents house, still my favorite place in the world to train)

warm-up:
10 halos with 50lb Bobba Fett kettlebell
1 prying squat on the rig
2x3 one arm swings
6x1 clean/press/squat (at this point I'm still deciding what I was going to do).

Deadlifts:
3x95
1x135
1x275
1x365 (this felt surprisingly heavy and slow off the floor, but, in retro spect I haven't deadlifted heavy in well over a year)

Press:
3x45
1x95
1x125
1x145 (bar tracked forward off my chest, I decided to call it there since I was just playing around)

cool down:
having from the bar

Week in Review (June 21-27)
Monday:

Q&D 60 reps / two hand swings 40kg / burpees / sets of 10
Wednesday:
S&S 24kg
Friday:
Get-up 2/24kg 2/32kg 6/24kg
Saturday:
Heavy single deadlift and Press
Sunday:
Q&D 80 reps / one arm swings 32kg / sets of 5

Swing volume:
550-600 total

Today's Practice

GGP
week 2 day 1: still only at 6 reps, it's getting easy and starting to flow really well.

RESET before lunch: playing around with rolling, it typically causes some psoas tightness but felt ok today.

GTG SWINGS 6 sets today 2/24kg 2/32kg 2/24kg grip was smoked on the 32 today, every time I do them before 12pm they feel terrible.

S&S two hand 32kg swings and get-ups with the 32kg. I was happy to just jump into get-ups with the 32kg today, the past couple of weeks it's felt a little tough but today was good. Hamstrings are still feeling sleepy lately, having a hard time getting them involved on my swing.

STRETCHING Last night I did the GGP stretches and I'm going to keep that up to help even out my hips and hams, my right has been feeling dominate again, that happens when I do extensive prying goblet squats so I typically just opt for a couple of curls and stand up.

SWING VOLUME 190 reps today

Yesterday's Practice

GGP
200 total arm swings and sets of 6 on all else.

GTG SWINGS 8 rounds 4 of which with the 32kg, swings are feeling off, could be a bit over overtraining.

Q&D 100 snatches alternated sets of 10 and 5, I messed the timer up for this, but was grateful to do snatches again.

STRETCHING 2 rounds of all the GGP stretches.

SWING VOLUME 310 so far this week.

Weekly Structure:
Sunday
Morning Routine: Super Joints / RESET
Warm-up: Super Joints
Training: Q&D - Press

Monday
Morning Routine: Super joints
Midday: RESET
Warm-up: RESET
Training: S&S - GGP

Tuesday
Morning Routine: Super joints
Training: Press - Deadlift

Wednesday
Morning Routine: Super Joints

Thursday
Training: Press - Deadlift

Friday

Saturday
Morning Routine: Super Joints / RESET
Training: Q&D - Press

Totals :
Super Joints - 11 times
RESETs - 10 times
GGP - 3 times
S&S - 3 times
Press - 4 times
Deadlift - 2 times
Q&D - 2 times

Life is happening again, here is an updated version of my week.
MondayTuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
20:00 morning hike S&S 24kg or rest
GGP 18/24/18
Q&D snatches 20kg
Press
pull-ups and dips
20:00 morning hike
S&S 24kg or rest
GGP 18/24/18
Q&D snatches 20kg
Press
pull-ups and dips
20:00 morning hike
S&S 24kg or rest
GGP 18/24/18
Press
Deadlift

My main focus right now is on press, deadlift and Q&D snatches. I'm using S&S on my off days for recovery and skill maintenance because I teach these skills daily. The hikes are for mental health and low grade conditioning (lots of mountains out here). The pull-ups and dips I've added for some arm hypertrophy if I'm being honest. Still doing joint mobility and RESETs nearly daily, but everything has gotten more streamlined now that I'm much busier. I've also started doing my post session stretching in the Sauna and loving the results, I'll be continuing that.

After reading Pavel's blog "repeat until strong" I was mind blown and feeling especially motivated towards my low key sinister goal. Now I think I'll go and get it.

Recap of last week:
Monday - 24kg over speed eccentrics and pausing get-ups. / GGP
Tuesday - 32, 40, 32, 32, 32 swings and get-ups / GGP
Wednesday - flexible steel drills (16kg) & some SFG drill practice (24kg) / GGP
Thursday - Travel day
Friday - 32kg swings and get-ups / GGP
Saturday - (30th birthday) Crossfit WOD with 200lb sandbag squats, carries and rope climbs

Yesterdays Practice:
- super joints & resets
- 24kg overspeed eccentrics
- 24kg pausing get-ups (3 seconds per movement)
- 4 / 4 dragon flags superset with hip flexor stretches
- 3 / 5 , 1 / 10 barbell curls & barbell scalpers

Todays Practice:
- Super Joints
- Swings 32, 40, 40, 32, 32
- Get-up 32, 40, 32, 32, 32
Swings felt strong, with these heavier swings I really have to "squat" a bit more, that was the focus today. On the get-ups when I sweep my leg under, my shoulder feels pretty unstable in the "windmill" portion of the get-up. This will be something I'll address during my pause get-ups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom