all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pre-Shower 3-10 min simple BW workout routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi guys, from the title of my thread it's more or less clear what I'm looking for. But let me explain to you my goals and reasons. With 4 kids running around me (actually 2 are still toddlers), work, service and other responsibilities it's more and more difficult for me to set apart time for exercise. Very often, even if I have spare time left, due to inconsistency in my training I lack motivation to undertake some demanding workouts. I heard about some simple bodyweight workout routines that people just do daily and quickly before their shower. I think this could work for me in this period of time. I don't have any ambitious goals (lifting 2x bodyweight or pressing 50% of my weight), I just want to remain healthy, mobile, generally fit, rather lean and yes, I don't want to feel embarrassed on the beach either :) But I'm not searching any kind of bodybuilders nor fitness magazine body. I'm sure you get what I mean. What's also important for me is that even though the routine is simple, short and minimalistic, I can still progress somehow. Even if those are little steps. But I'm motivated and driven by progress (like doing more reps in a time box, etc.).

I want to ask you guys about your experience and especially 3 questions:

1) What kind of routine would you recommend that's minimalistic but still relatively complete (short and done daily) ?
2) Can it be done long term (as a way of life) without causing serious disorders, imbalances, etc. due to its minimalism
3) Have you tried it and seen any results (or have you heard of anyone) ?

Thank you for taking time to answer!

P.S.: Yesterday I noticed the thread that might be tackling that point but I want to hear more variety of opinions. It is based on pushups (3min) and squats (5min) daily. Is this maybe what you'd recommend ? You can find it here: Bodyweight - High rep pushups & squats daily
Ive done nothing but bodyweight and sometimes a 10kg weight vest for probably nearly a year now.

4 days a week i do push pull legs core, so Monday and Thursday i do dips rows single leg dl and leg raises
Tuesday and Friday i do pullups pushups lunges and one arm one leg planks
Wednesday and Saturday 10-20kg 30-60min ruck, depends on time.

3 sets each 2-3 reps shy of failure.

During the week these workouts take me 35min including a 5min warm up of back and forth crawling.

Everything done at home on a door mounted pullup bar with Gymnastic rings hanging on it for dips and rows.

Dont think it can get much more minimalist than that.

To do it even quicker could do a cuircit and skip the core, maybe do you core excersises later in the day or not at all, whatever.

Im 41, 2 annoying kids that stress me out all the time haha.
Probably the best shape of my life
20220916_164715.jpg

Last edited:
Ive done nothing but bodyweight and sometimes a 10kg weight vest for probably nearly a year now.

4 days a week i do push pull legs core, so Monday and Thursday i do dips rows single leg dl and leg raises
Tuesday and Friday i do pullups pushups lunges and one arm one leg planks
Wednesday and Saturday 10-20kg 30-60min ruck, depends on time.

3 sets each 2-3 reps shy of failure.

During the week these workouts take me 35min including a 5min warm up of back and forth crawling.

Everything done at home on a door mounted pullup bar with Gymnastic rings hanging on it for dips and rows.

Dont think it can get much more minimalist than that.

To do it even quicker could do a cuircit and skip the core, maybe do you core excersises later in the day or not at all, whatever.

Im 41, 2 annoying kids that stress me out all the time haha.
Probably the best shape of my life
View attachment 19076
Its alot like myself. Im just older, not in such great shape and my training is only 2-3 times a week with bw training + 3 times a week running.

Its alot like myself. Im just older, not in such great shape and my training is only 2-3 times a week with bw training + 3 times a week running.
Ive always done 3 days but recently started doing 4 and seeing numbers going up slowly

I go through stages where i add running or cycling but it tends to catch up with me after a few weeks and leaves me tired.
i do go for a 20 or 30min walk pm after work as i sit in my van all day and get tight, so i literally pull up outside the house and go for a 2 mile walk, if i go indoors i get jumped by the kids and mrs to play or do chores! got no chance of going back out! So i just sneek off haha
I also do OS resets for 10mins every morning and a quick stretch for 10mins every evening

OS resets are massive bang for your buck and can be progressed to point of great difficulty....eg people mentioned crawling (great shout) with knees up, a progression to knees down.
Rocking to elevated rocking (people will likely be able to crawl knees up for 10 minutes long before they can rock knees up for 10 minutes).
Rolling in its many many forms to elevated rolling in various forms.

So much to explore and based upon how you feel that day can be focused more on strength or just moving to feel good.

Richard

Hi! Have 3 kids, full time job etc… quited gym and started bw training with simplefit (pushups, pullups, squats) 4 years ago. now I alternate between simplefit and some ideas from jim wendler bw routine (walrus) to prevent boredom. I train 3–4 times per week, incl warmup, os resets and some stretches, workout takes me 30–40 minutes. i like the flexibility (train where i am, when i have time), no excuses… never feel better!

OS resets are massive bang for your buck and can be progressed to point of great difficulty....eg people mentioned crawling (great shout) with knees up, a progression to knees down.
Rocking to elevated rocking (people will likely be able to crawl knees up for 10 minutes long before they can rock knees up for 10 minutes).
Rolling in its many many forms to elevated rolling in various forms.

So much to explore and based upon how you feel that day can be focused more on strength or just moving to feel good.

Richard
what is OS reset ?

Hi! Have 3 kids, full time job etc… quited gym and started bw training with simplefit (pushups, pullups, squats) 4 years ago. now I alternate between simplefit and some ideas from jim wendler bw routine (walrus) to prevent boredom. I train 3–4 times per week, incl warmup, os resets and some stretches, workout takes me 30–40 minutes. i like the flexibility (train where i am, when i have time), no excuses… never feel better!
and what is Simplefit ?:)

I'd be happy to give you some ideas for quick BW routines.. What bodyweight skills do you know? LMK :)

Could possibly do burpees. X number of burpees per min for 10 min... EMOM. Would tick a lot of boxes and be kind of hellish after a while. Could start at 3 and add one every week till it got totally miserable.

Or a less miserable experience might be to pick 5 exercises and do as many as you can of each 30 sec on 30 off. Run through it twice.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to give you some ideas for quick BW routines.. What bodyweight skills do you know? LMK :)
Hi Karen, that's nice of you! Well I can do push ups, squats, lunges, pull ups, half bridges. But I'm sure I can learn more :) I cant do a single limb exercises though...

Do you wear kneepads for that?

I don't think I could crawl for 10 minutes straight without chewing up my knees (at least not on my tile floor /carpet).
Good news and bad news. Good: the standard for crawling ala OS is on hands and feet. "Bad": 10 minutes straight of such crawling is brutal but will give amazing results. Or so I'm told. I'm ready to lead the pirates to the family treasure after about 90 seconds.

You could give The No BS Kettlebell and Bodyweight Kickstart Program by Aleks Salkin a shot.

There is a thread on here called;

SFG's kettlebell and bodyweight program #1 on Amazon.

It explains in detail the content. All bases covered in 20 minutes a day seems to be the summary.
I just started this yesterday and am happy with it so far.

Imho
Pushups, Pullups, Squats,HLRs and janda situps with jumprope for cardio.
Re doing GTG i don't know if this would work for you but me and my brother once had a "toll" to access diff rooms in the house.
One room had an over the door Pullup bar -3 Pullups toll.
The other room required 10 pushups..
Cheaper then NYC tolls me thinks...

This is what I might try

Day 1 Even Minutes - Split squats. Odd Minutes - Push ups.

Day 2 Even Minutes - Jump Squats. Odd Minutes - Chin Ups.

I'd pick a number between 5 and 10 as my start and keep adding a rep every week.

Can't say this enough if you had a Kettlebell you could add tons of variation. Almost unlimited variation. I am a particular fan of swings and clean and presses.

10 min EMotM you can make up a ton of workouts. Even with just body weight exercises.

Lots of great options in this thread. Personally I am drawn to simplicity. This is why I would pick two movements and repeat them back to back for a certain amount of time, for example 10 minutes. Quality reps, easy sets, nasal breathing, far from failure. Rest as needed. Over time you will be able to do more and harder movements.

This article has the same approach with an added crawl or carry: Super Simple Stength | Original Strength

Lots of great options in this thread. Personally I am drawn to simplicity. This is why I would pick two movements and repeat them back to back for a certain amount of time, for example 10 minutes. Quality reps, easy sets, nasal breathing, far from failure. Rest as needed. Over time you will be able to do more and harder movements.

This article has the same approach with an added crawl or carry: Super Simple Stength | Original Strength
+1
Very nice resource.
That is more or less what I was trying to convey above. The outline in the article is a great guideline.

The book "Becoming Bulletproof Project" offers some more ideas for 10 minute blocks of different intensity and skill level, mostly carries, jumping rope, skipping, and pushups + squats.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom