all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pre-Teen: S&S or Yessis 1*20

My son who is 13 and I have tried a lot of different workouts. I have observed quite closely what worked and what didn't.

Things that worked best - repetition of key movements, body weight exercises, larger more whole body exercises like KB swings, circuits
Things that seemed to have less value - traditional weight lifting, exercises that are braced by a bench, exercises that have a difficult form to master, exercises that only work a small area
eg Push Ups seemed to carry a lot more Value than Bench Press

That being said the Yessis program would be my pick of the two. My kids hate Get Ups and I am not sure they get much from them.

What does he like?
The workout he does like is (and we do this in an I go you go fashion) setting a timer for 20 min. We do Swings + One other exercise. So I do 10 Swings then he does 10 swings. I do 3-10 of Other Exercise he does 3-10 of the other exercise. Rest as needed but we rest only till our breathing settles.

I could see this working with a host of exercises. We have done it with Front Squats, Clean and Press, Bench Press and Push Ups. All seemed effective but Push Ups and Front Squats seemed the most beneficial.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom