all posts post new thread

Nutrition Precision Nutrition System

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Can someone explain what it is in more detail?
Is it a flexible system, a fixed plan (e.g. exactly 3 meals per day consisting of x amount of protein/carb/fat) or more of a guideline?
Can I eat everything or are certain foods necessary and others a definite no-go (not talking about obvious things like alcohol, but stuff like gluten or dairy)?

I'm currently doing the program and I would describe it as a habit based program, in that it is teaching good habits rather than a strict formula for eating.

It is a web based interface that each day gives you a lesson to read (or listen to, if you prefer), a workout plan for the day (or you can do your own workout) and a habit you should be working on (these typically last a few weeks and each day you just mark whether you practiced the habit).

Examples of eating habits:
  • Eat slow
  • Eat protein
  • Eat to 80% full
  • eat fruit
  • eat veggies
  • eat proper mix of macro nutrients
  • etc
They also have a big social media component through Facebook support groups and almost weekly online sessions. I do not participate in any of those. Maybe they are great but I still can't handle social media for more than about 30 seconds a month.

I'm not sure what I think of it, as I did not realize I was getting into a mostly automated system. I was expecting a much more personal experience where they look at your current eating habits then tell you what to change. To be fair, you are assigned a coach and you can reach out to them with questions, but it's not really personalized. Question are supposed to be on the habit or workout currently being worked on, not some personalized program.

It turns out that over the years of reading on fitness and nutrition I've slowly adopted most of these habits. Having said that, the ones I ignored are the ones PN feel are most important/foundational: eating slowly and to 80% full. Now that I've been doing these for the past few months, I'd say they are very good habits and I see how they can help w body comp and better eating in general.

All in all, I think it's a good program but I'll wait the full year before passing final judgement.

Should you try it? If you are looking for a quick-fix, then no.

If you feel like your eating is out of hand (eat too much, bad food choices, yo-yo weight from quick-fix diets) then I think it could be a life changer.

I think it would help most people who want to improve their eatings long as:
  • They are willing to dedicate a good 15 minutes a day to the reading and logging progress
  • They are willing to make the small changes PN suggests, whether you believe they are important or not
  • You are patient
Just so you know, my wife and I signed up at the same time and the format of this program did not work for personality at all. The reading everyday just wasn't her thing. If you are already actively participating in a forum and like reading fitness/food articles, it won't be a problem for you. She pulled out of the program after 3 months and they gave us our money back (pro-rated).

It's also worth noting that we already eat quite healthy and neither of us have any sort of weight problems. We were just trying to get to the next level of better nutrition and go from healthy with a bit of mid-40's fat to healthy and very little fat.

Hope that helps and happy to answer any more questions.

I've been following the Warrior Diet for years now but I want to try something different. Just to see what it's all about. I wonder if I'll feel better eating more frequently, I guess time will tell. If not I can say I tried it and go back to the Warrior Diet.

I don't know anything about PN, but if you're good with a book as opposed to the wwwsite, you might get Georgie Fear's book Lean Habits. I've enjoyed it & found it very useful- I think she used to work for PN.

I'll second the G Fear book. It's excellent and in the same quadrant (to use DJ jargon) as PN.

I just read the amazon.com blurb for the G Fear book. This caught my eye:

"Easy modifications like learning to sense when you are truly hungry and knowing the difference between satisfied and stuffed, will be your stepping-stones to a healthy life ..."

I agree with every word of it except the first one, "easy." If it was easy, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in the United States.

One can learn to do those things without reading a book. Turn off the TV, prepare healthy food for yourself, eat slowly, and try to start to develop a sense of having eaten enough without feeling stuffed. It will, at best, take weeks of vigilance to make this change and, after a lifetime of eating poorly, it can be like an addiction where one fall off the wagon means you'll need to regain your previous progress slowly again.

For most people, it's really not easy, and that's why most people don't do it. It requires a sense of purpose, and it requires strength of will.

-S-

Hello,

I tried several diets: Paleo, Intermittent Fasting (16/8, 19/5, 24h), Japanese diet.

In all cases, it works - on me. Basically, if someone has not any medical constraints / issues and is healthy at the beginning of the diet, all diets work...to a certain extent. This is good to try some different things from time to time.

However, we do not have to be "close-minded": a diet can be incorporated to a goal:
> mass gain
> simple well-being
> weight loss
> sport specific diet
etc...

If we are not after a "short / medium haul" goal or a sport specific diet, we do not have to forget the pleasure of eating. If there is no pleasure, it becomes a constraint on the long haul

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Steve Freides Do you still use the WD? I've never used it. I agree that habit based nutrition is not easy and I've used MFP to tracks cals but can't sustain it. 16/8 IF has probably worked best for me over the past two years in terms of balancing work life and training.

@conor78, yes. These days I have coffee for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch, and then dinner. I follow the WD in spirit easily - if I'm hungry, I eat, and once in a while, I go out for brunch or lunch just because I'm in the mood. I nibble midafternoon if I'm hungry, e.g., a spoonful of something or a hard-boiled egg at 4 PM - that sort of thing.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom