all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Preparing for a "Pushup challenge"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lais817

Level 7 Valued Member
Screenshot_20220512-185051_Chrome.jpg

Having seen a few of these over the last few years, what would the forum's opinion be on the "best" way for an ordinary person who doesn't do 100+ pushups a day to prepare for such an event?

From what I can see, the best way to do the actual pushups required would be a GTG approach and sets of around 10 every hour, but not sure on how much physical preparation the body would need before hand. I can only imagine that all the physios around the world love these events for all the business it must bring them!

There were several high-rep pushup programs in Beyond Bodybuilding that prescribed a different percentage of your RM and a different rest period for each day (for example one day would be 50% of your max every 30 minutes, another 85% every 80 minutes and so on). I don't think sets of 10 would be sufficient to prepare for doing extremely high reps.

Having seen a few of these over the last few years, what would the forum's opinion be on the "best" way for an ordinary person who doesn't do 100+ pushups a day to prepare for such an event?
The "best" way to prepare for such an event is ALWAYS going to depend heavily on the amount of time one has to prepare.
So is this question presuming that one starts this event in 3 weeks?

Building volume is the main thing. (If one had a longer time to prepare, I would say building strength).

Also hard to tell how the event goes, if it's just a certain amount of volume in the given days, or if long continuous sets are required.

The "best" way to prepare for such an event is ALWAYS going to depend heavily on the amount of time one has to prepare.
So is this question presuming that one starts this event in 3 weeks?

Building volume is the main thing. (If one had a longer time to prepare, I would say building strength).

Also hard to tell how the event goes, if it's just a certain amount of volume in the given days, or if long continuous sets are required.
From the one work had a team in last year, the number of reps each day changed depending on some relevant statistic, but you weren't required to do the whole lot in one hit.

As for prep time, let's say you have 4 weeks, as I've been seeing these ads in my social media since about the start of this month, I'd say that would be the standard time most people would use for prep if they were competing.

I do that challlenge every year
7 pushups wait 10 seconds 7 pushups wait 10 seconds keep going and going if you get tired extend the rest to 15 seconds then 20 seconds.

Quite easy to knock out 140 pushups in 20 sets of 7 in relatively little time.

That particular method came from a chap called Nils Nillson and he called it time volume training

Always works really well for me, do a few trials and play with the numbers ideally its 1/3 of your max followed by a short rest nils nillson time volume training - Google Search

The trick is never go close to failure always have a few spare when you extend the rest time.

Anybody else do it ?

By the end of the challenge I can usually do 40 pushups, never managed to crack 50.

Last edited:
I rarely do push ups as part of my daily training but have done this challenge the last three years. Usually sets of 10 with rest as needed. On the higher volume days (more than 200) I usually GTG the push ups throughout the day. Every now and again I will go for as many as I can which for me is around 20. For people who train regularly the daily numbers are very manageable, less so for untrained folks.

I do Push-ups every day and don't care about how my arms got bigger or not, even though they did as well as my chest. I also dropped some weight but it's more about everything else then just Push-ups itself.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom