all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Preserving muscle on S&S?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jmoran01

Level 5 Valued Member
I’m an almost 50 experienced lifter and KB enthusiast, but have never run S&S. Am thinking of doing this as a way to cut. Do you all think S&S with proper nutrition is a good way to keep muscle and lose fat? I would also doing push-ups and chin-ups and OHP once a week.

In my opinion S&S is a good program to keep muscle while loosing weight for majority of the population including myself. But you are saying that you are an experienced lifter. If you plan to loose a lot of weight, and you are not de conditioned a lot already , you might be better of with an hypertrophy program. People here recommend Geoff Neupert’s programs. Fabio just released a book on minimalist Hypertrophy. Both might be better options for you.

For an experienced lifter -- mediocre.

It's pretty decent for getting in some extra calorie burning.

But the time-under-tension is not great, so if trying to maintain some hypertrophic stimulus to preserve muscle during a cut, I think there are better options.

Thanks guys! I’m looking for a KB only program now. To mix things up. Will check out these programs you mentioned

I can’t see how you would lose muscle doing S&S. Anymore than any other method of training while on a diet.

Go as heavy as you can and you should surely keep your muscle? Also, add a 5 second pause in each stage of your getups.

I can’t see how you would lose muscle doing S&S. Anymore than any other method of training while on a diet.

Go as heavy as you can and you should surely keep your muscle? Also, add a 5 second pause in each stage of your getups.
In a calorie deficit, an experienced lifter age close to fifty, will lose muscle even with a pure hypertrophy program.

At age 52, I certainly do.

I try to minimize it, but I can't cut without losing at least some muscle these days.
With your experience and current fitness level, it is very normal even pro athletes aged 30 would loose if they are not juicing.

I am on the contrary enjoying the only benefit of my sedentary life. Just dead hangs popped my fore arms, and ground work alone popped my shoulders on a slight calorie deficit , but am sure I am loosing overall muscle mass though certain parts gain.

With your experience and current fitness level, it is very normal even pro athletes aged 30 would loose if they are not juicing.

I am on the contrary enjoying the only benefit of my sedentary life. Just dead hangs popped my fore arms, and ground work alone popped my shoulders on a slight calorie deficit , but am sure I am loosing overall muscle mass though certain parts gain.

My sports and regenerative medicine doctor provides some assistance on hormone monitoring and optimizing of anything that can be that is competition legal, but it's still an uphill battle.

On the plus side, muscle memory improves with training age, so it comes back quickly. It just comes back a weee bit less each time.

My sports and regenerative medicine doctor provides some assistance on hormone monitoring and optimizing of anything that can be that is competition legal, but it's still an uphill battle.

On the plus side, muscle memory improves with training age, so it comes back quickly. It just comes back a weee bit less each time.
As far as I understand you are seriously cutting weight to fit in to weight class? That is even a different level of a calorie deficit. In my case I am probably going from 22’ish body fat to 18’ish. Relatively high body fat helps to keep muscle even in calorie deficit.

As far as I understand you are seriously cutting weight to fit in to weight class? That is even a different level of a calorie deficit. In my case I am probably going from 22’ish body fat to 18’ish. Relatively high body fat helps to keep muscle even in calorie deficit.

It's not that much weight. I'm going from <109 kg to <102 kg.

I competed at 108 kg last May.

With the holidays, I go into maintenance mode and start a strength block, I'm at 104 kg right now.

Reactions: Ege
I’m 15% body fat as of today. I would like to cut lower but definitely want to preserve muscle. Will eat a lot of protein and get into a deficit after today. But want to make sure I’m hitting major muscles at least once a week. I’m not competing but have been stuck at 15% for a while. I’m 5’6” and 160 lbs. not worried about nutrition because I have that down but want a good program to preserve muscle while I cut. I’m open to suggestions but want to use a KB and pull up bar. Trying to avoid a gym membership

Looking into Dry Fighting Weight. It’s clean and press and front squat. I would add chin-ups and push-ups once a week but would that cover it? I think it could. Has anyone done dry fighting weight?

In a calorie deficit, an experienced lifter age close to fifty, will lose muscle even with a pure hypertrophy program.
Depends on the lifter’s % BF. Anything close to 20 and above will give enough of a pad to tighten up a little before any muscle disappears. Get down closer to 15% and the margin gets smaller.

I found, without an intentional diet change, I lost size off my legs, chest while gaining size on my upper/lower back, butt and midsection while doing SS.
Isn’t it interesting? You can observe the changes in body comp real-time when using minimalist routines. Always something slipping through the cracks, however small.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom