all posts post new thread

Off-Topic President Trump on exercise-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I will allow this only if the conversation doesn't get rancorous.

@jawamac, I watched the video - 2 minutes and change after first having to watch the advertisement for a home security system - and didn't come away with any idea about what the president's theory of exercise was or is, so I confess I don't see the point of the video piece at all. To me, it seems somewhat partisan and, as such, is not of interest to me here on the forum.

-S-

To me, it seems somewhat partisan and, as such, is not of interest to me here on the forum.

I agree with this- seems like a continuation of battle between CNN and Trump...he calls them Fake News and they try every way possible to show he's deranged or a kook. I don't see any purpose served adding this debate to this forum- it's been a good place to come to get away from all this.

That being said "exercise" is a vague term that's held up to be so virtuous, but the way many do it is quite detrimental to themselves. I keep my mouth shut about it generally when I hear people go on about what they do, but StrongFirst wouldn't serve such a purpose if people generally knew how to move and train. Orthopedic surgery has become the most lucrative specialty in medicine for a reason.

When my work stress is high, I have to back off my training somewhat as I can't recover from training and work stress. The effect must be more pronounced if you run your own business at a high a level as he has.

I can't imagine the stress of a presidency.

That being said "exercise" is a vague term that's held up to be so virtuous, but the way many do it is quite detrimental to themselves.
This is the most important lesson SaS has taught me: consistently moderate training.

"...moderate daily training will keep the muscles’ fuel tanks topped off, while making tissues resistant to microtrauma and almost soreness-proof. It is the ticket to being always ready."
Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister​

This is the most important lesson SaS has taught me: consistently moderate training.

"...moderate daily training will keep the muscles’ fuel tanks topped off, while making tissues resistant to microtrauma and almost soreness-proof. It is the ticket to being always ready."
Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister​

This is a PDF, but shows some interesting facts to working out daily (for women at least).

Physical Activity: Can There Be Too Much of a Good Thing? | Circulation

I watched the video - 2 minutes and change after first having to watch the advertisement for a home security system - and didn't come away with any idea about what the president's theory of exercise was or is, so I confess I don't see the point of the video piece at all. To me, it seems somewhat partisan and, as such, is not of interest to me here on the forum.

@Steve Freides, I didn't watch any video, but I read the article, which DID discuss Trump's theory of exercise. His theory is that humans are born with a finite amount of energy, like a battery, and that exercise only depletes that energy.

Still probably not of much interest, but the link did contain what the OP said it did.

@Steve Freides, I didn't watch any video, but I read the article, which DID discuss Trump's theory of exercise. His theory is that humans are born with a finite amount of energy, like a battery, and that exercise only depletes that energy.

Still probably not of much interest, but the link did contain what the OP said it did.

Thanks, Steve W. I found it pretty bizarre to say the least. I wonder how much battery power I have left? Haha

Last edited:
My very active grandma is 90 and still riding her bike and generally living her life without much limitations.
Imagine how far she would make it if she had stayed in her bed or on her couch saving her energy! :D:D:rolleyes:

I still kind of believe Mr. Trump says things like that just to troll people. :D

I agree with this- seems like a
President Trump's opinion on exercise has about the same weight as e.g. my opinion on running the USA.

Please let us keep politics out of this forum.
Nothing "political" about this topic. Funny how some people on here have an "MD" and can give advice they have zero knowledge on (not you, Pavel M) yet someone posts a topic on the U.S President's EXERCISE routine (or lack there of) and it becomes political? Geez people... this forum is becoming quite the entertainment for me! :D

Last edited:
@jawamac, a thread about a politician is political before it starts.

Please refrain from criticizing your fellow forum members in such general terms.

-S-

Nothing "political" about this topic. Funny how some people on here have an "MD" and can give advice they have zero knowledge on (not you, Pavel M) yet someone posts a topic on the U.S President's EXERCISE routine (or lack there of) and it becomes political? Geez people... this forum is becoming quite the entertainment for me! :D
I have to agree with @jawamac . Talking about a topic that's not related to politics doesn't necessarily become political just because a politician talks about said topic.
For example discussing Chief Pavels clothing style is about fashion, not about strength and conditioning.
Discussing the way Tom Brady raises his kids is about education, not about football.
And discussion Trumps opinion on exercise is about exercise and not politics.
I can see that it can quickly get to the point of discussing politics though.

I rather enjoy agreeing to disagree...

I am only commenting on this:

His theory is that humans are born with a finite amount of energy, like a battery, and that exercise only depletes that energy.

... while its more like a battery that is constantly trying to self-charge, he's correct. Adding exercise on top of other accumulated stress will go south, quick; especially later in life.

Unless, by exercise, you mean walking or some other light activity; then adjusting as positive change occurs.

If he watched his nutrition, he'd be better positioned to exercise.

I rather enjoy agreeing to disagree...

I am only commenting on this:.
His theory is that humans are born with a finite amount of energy, like a battery, and that exercise only depletes that energy.
... while its more like a battery that is constantly trying to self-charge, he's correct.

Coincidentally, I just had the following conversation with a student on Friday. I was on the NordicTrack ski machine on the side of the basketball court in the gym at the high school where I teach while the kids played basketball (I am still on the disabled list as far as playing with them like I usually do):

Student: You should hook up your car battery to that thing.

Me: Well, my car battery recharges while I'm driving.

Student: Then you could charge your phone battery or whatever and save a lot of money.

Me: Well, I have to pay for the energy I would be generating by buying food, so I guess I may as well use it for something.

BTW, it was unclear from the article whether the battery simile is actually something Trump has said or is the writer's interpretation of what Trump believes based on various statements he has made about exercise in the past.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom