all posts post new thread

Barbell Press and Farmer Walk minimalist training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stefano

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone

I’m Stefano from Italy, i’m a huge follower of this forum...this is my first message, it’s an honour to write here!

Due to a life and a job changes I can only train at home at night, I have a minimal equipment: a bench, a barbell, two dumbbells (I can add weight to each of them) and a pull up bar...

My main goals are strength and size, I have also an injury in the lower back so my training plan has to consider this issue...

I discovered Bryce Lane 50/20 workout and I really love the concept and the minimalism of the options it offers (considered my limited equipment)...

So I made this training plan: i’d Really like to pair a big Press, Farmer walk and the Fighter Pull Up program (my goal is 15 clean reps...I started from 8 reps with a maximum of 10 reps) something like this:

Monday/Thursday
Barbell Clean and Press or Incline Bench 50/20
+ Fighter Pull Up Program

Tuesday/Friday
Farmer Walk with Dumbbells 50/20
+Fighter Pull Up Program

So my questions:

- Considering my goal of strength and mass which is the best press option between the BB Clean and Press and the Incline BB Bench

- i’d Really like to implement Farmer Walk with the Press...but...how can I find a way to progress with the 50/20 system? My concern is that Farmer Walk isn’t counted as reps and sets...but distance or time...so what progression can I adopt with 50/20 workout? I haven’t much space in my flat...but I can walk forward and behind

- do you think this is a solid plan? Is something lacking? I know i’m Missing a big lower body movement, when my back heals i’ll Add a deadlift movement!

Hope also that my grip for the pull ups isn’t fried after the Farmer Walk...

Thanks very much for all your advices and sorry for my bad English!! A big hug from Italy

Stefano

I think your plan looks good.

would not suggest the barbell clean and press unless you have a qualified coach teaching you how to clean the barbell. .. especially with back problems

A better (& safer) press option would be incline bench using 2 dumbbells.. or the classic bench press

A barbell press off a rack is great.. but you don't have a rack, correct?

You could also just follow the FPP, and do ~10 easy presses / day with a 5 - 10 minute farmer walk finisher.. I think you would be surprised at how much strength you will gain by doing this (Easy Strength / GTG).. I would not overthink the program past this..

Add weight when the presses feel really easy. Keep the farmer walks doable. I hear that the FPP is a lot on your plate later on in the program.

I don't think you will find anything lacking.

Good luck

Hi Jak, thanks a lot for your reply!

So, if I had understood well:

1) 5xweek Incline BB...total of 10 reps, increase weight when it’ll become easy: what about sets and reps? can I go with two sets of 5 or triples, singles? Do you have any suggestion?

2) 5/10 min Farmer Walk...in this case I prefer to count Time and not total distance...what kind of progression can I use? In order to increase weight when it will be easy...

3) FPP 3/4 times a week (I need a little more recovery with Pull Ups)...when I reach 15 reps BW, i’ll go with the 3RM program with weighted Pull Ups

Is this the complete plan? :)

One more point: in order to increase mass, together with strength, can I add more volume to the Press and Walk (maybe 10 daily reps are a little low)?

One more point: in order to increase mass, together with strength, can I add more volume to the Press and Walk (maybe 10 daily reps are a little low)?

Yeah you probably could. But why not add more weight instead? If you are doing your pressing and walks 5x / week then the volume should be adequate.

If you want mass through pressing then I would follow another plan besides the FPP.

Hi Jak, thanks a lot for your reply!

So, if I had understood well:

1) 5xweek Incline BB...total of 10 reps, increase weight when it’ll become easy: what about sets and reps? can I go with two sets of 5 or triples, singles? Do you have any suggestion?

2) 5/10 min Farmer Walk...in this case I prefer to count Time and not total distance...what kind of progression can I use? In order to increase weight when it will be easy...

3) FPP 3/4 times a week (I need a little more recovery with Pull Ups)...when I reach 15 reps BW, i’ll go with the 3RM program with weighted Pull Ups

Is this the complete plan? :)

1) 2 sets of 5 is standard around here.. 3x3 works, 5x2 works.. just play with it day to day

2) I wouldn't worry so much about progression as I would worry about getting your farmer walks in daily. Like I said, just add weight when it feels easy, some days you will keep the weight low because you will be tired.. some days you will be able to go pretty high in weight because it will feel easy

3)Others who have followed the FPP will hopefully chime in regarding what to do when you hit 15 reps..

I like the concept. You might want to float the question past Dan John, as he is a big fan of loaded carries. Whatever you decide, please report back. It's an interesting program.

Yes, I read about carries in some Dan John article and I was thinking to implement them in my training, considering i can’ Deadlift without pain...so a Press, Pull Ups and Carries should be a good mix for strength and size!

Yes, I read about carries in some Dan John article and I was thinking to implement them in my training, considering i can’ Deadlift without pain...so a Press, Pull Ups and Carries should be a good mix for strength and size!

Have you posted your question at his (Dan Johns) forum?

I got extremely strong and added noticeable muscle with Bryce Lanes 50/20. I'm using it for my Clean and Press work right now. It produced my first strict press with 225lbs.

One of the best things about the 50/20 is that you get solid work in every time without having to worry about much else other just getting your sets in. Not much guess work.

I got extremely strong and added noticeable muscle with Bryce Lanes 50/20. I'm using it for my Clean and Press work right now. It produced my first strict press with 225lbs.

One of the best things about the 50/20 is that you get solid work in every time without having to worry about much else other just getting your sets in. Not much guess work.

Thanks Jeff, I also love the format of the program...my plan was doing Mon/Thur with a Press (CP or Incline) and Tue/Fry with Heavy Farmer Walk

Do you have any tips or advices to progress the Farmers in the 50/20 format? I can’t imagine a way of counting total reps (to reach 50 and the add weight) with this exercise!

I'm curious. I'm thinking of running something like that or the EDT that inspired it later this fall for a few weeks. Same weight for both? Did you clean before each press, or do separate sets? Do you think there is a way to incorporate the FSQ into it?

Thanks Jeff, I also love the format of the program...my plan was doing Mon/Thur with a Press (CP or Incline) and Tue/Fry with Heavy Farmer Walk

Do you have any tips or advices to progress the Farmers in the 50/20 format? I can’t imagine a way of counting total reps (to reach 50 and the add weight) with this exercise!

I think the plan would work great. On the Farmers walk I personally wouldn't worry about "reps" per say in your instance. You should just set your timer for 20 minutes and just work hard to as hard as you can. Just simply work and the Farmers will take care of the rest. Although, I can't see how counting laps in your space could be so difficult. For instance, lets say you make 5 trips down and back, set the bells down and make a mark, repeat and make another hash mark. Easy enough.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom