all posts post new thread

Barbell Press and Farmer Walk minimalist training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm curious. I'm thinking of running something like that or the EDT that inspired it later this fall for a few weeks. Same weight for both? Did you clean before each press, or do separate sets? Do you think there is a way to incorporate the FSQ into it?

I use this for conditioning along with some muscle building, so I clean every rep. I think it would be too much aggravation to have 2 different weights.

Sure on the front squats. I'd clean, then press, then do a front squat, that would be 1 rep. That would be some tough work. I'd use a weight that allows for 3-5 reps comfortably to sort of tough. Like right now, where I am not in good shape, I used 135 for sets of 3 reps for 10 sets and finished with 4 sets of 5 reps. Those sets of 5 had me puffing nice and hard. This coming Wednesday I'm going to try to flip the script and hit 10x5 and if I have any time left on the clock I'll do what I can. My old man who is 63 years old hit 115lbs for 50 reps the other day and that was only his 2nd time doing this work. He used sets of 2 and 3 reps.

I think the plan would work great. On the Farmers walk I personally wouldn't worry about "reps" per say in your instance. You should just set your timer for 20 minutes and just work hard to as hard as you can. Just simply work and the Farmers will take care of the rest. Although, I can't see how counting laps in your space could be so difficult. For instance, lets say you make 5 trips down and back, set the bells down and make a mark, repeat and make another hash mark. Easy enough.

Great Jeff, thanks! I can count back/forward trips as reps...as I reach 50, up the weight

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan John is a competitor? I thought he was a colleague.

Yeah, I don't know, honestly. I just know he left StrongFirst and went back to RKC, but I could be way behind the times. I suppose competitors and colleges are often one and the same. No big deal, guys...

I think the plan would work great. On the Farmers walk I personally wouldn't worry about "reps" per say in your instance. You should just set your timer for 20 minutes and just work hard to as hard as you can. Just simply work and the Farmers will take care of the rest. Although, I can't see how counting laps in your space could be so difficult. For instance, lets say you make 5 trips down and back, set the bells down and make a mark, repeat and make another hash mark. Easy enough.

Sorry if I bother you again: I had another idea how counting Farmers Walk in 50/20...I have a mileometer on my phone, so I can count easily the total travel I do...what about trying to reach 500m/1640ft in 20 minutes? (Is it too a good goal or maybe I need a longer distance?) When I reach this goal up the weight...it seems more easily countable in this way!

Sorry if I bother you again: I had another idea how counting Farmers Walk in 50/20...I have a mileometer on my phone, so I can count easily the total travel I do...what about trying to reach 500m/1640ft in 20 minutes? (Is it too a good goal or maybe I need a longer distance?) When I reach this goal up the weight...it seems more easily countable in this way!
I'm sure that would be fine. Just getting in 20 solid minutes on Farmers Walk will take care of the minute details.

something to consider also if you're looking for a little extra muscle is the old alternate DB curl and press. The old man and I just got finished training. We did Alternate DB Curl and Press for sets of 10 reps(5 on each arm) and squats for 3 reps. We just did 10 sets of each without stopping. We finished this in around 25 minutes. We weren't doing the 50/20, just putting in the work. Then did some push/pull rows with 32kg Kbs and finished with 120b water bag bearhug carries.

I use this for conditioning along with some muscle building, so I clean every rep. I think it would be too much aggravation to have 2 different weights.

Sure on the front squats. I'd clean, then press, then do a front squat, that would be 1 rep. That would be some tough work. I'd use a weight that allows for 3-5 reps comfortably to sort of tough. Like right now, where I am not in good shape, I used 135 for sets of 3 reps for 10 sets and finished with 4 sets of 5 reps. Those sets of 5 had me puffing nice and hard. This coming Wednesday I'm going to try to flip the script and hit 10x5 and if I have any time left on the clock I'll do what I can. My old man who is 63 years old hit 115lbs for 50 reps the other day and that was only his 2nd time doing this work. He used sets of 2 and 3 reps.
Thanks. I'm doing a 40 day ES run this fall, and I was thinking of doing a three week diversion to a volume/density approach like Staley's EDT or 50/20. I like Staley's intro program of one zone split squat L/R, and one zone of bench and row. But I also like the classic combo of C+P+FSQ. We'll see. It's for variety and giggles. Mainly giggles.

ETA:
I've gotten Staley and Lane thoroughly confused in my head now, but I know I read some versions of their program that relied heavily on loaded carries.

No Stefan, I didn’t know there’s a Dan John forum...could you post the link please?
@Stefano, one of the things we address in our FAQ is that we don't wish to serve as a source of advertising for our direct competitors. Dan used to be part of our program but chose to leave. Those of us who've met him and worked with him in person have nothing but good things to say about him. But we do try to keep our focus on what we do at StrongFirst.

Thanks for understanding.

-S-

I understand not wanting to advertise a competitor's paid for goods and services, but why free content, a forum where people share freely, and the man himself? Since DJ is a big proponent of loaded carries, it makes sense to direct inquiries to him in the spirit of collegiality.

@vegpedlr, we are off the topic of our thread. If you'd like to discuss this further, you may PM me or you can start a thread in our Members Only section on this subject. I am happy to explain our choices, just not here in this thread.

Thank you.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom