all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press: clicking in shoulder on descent

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nhaskins

Level 5 Valued Member
This past year I've been doing Simple and Sinister, and I've got my TGU up to 40 kg. I've never done any pressing other than to practice a couple reps.

This coming year, I'd like to incorporate a few cycles of ROP Clean and Press, but I've noticed a clicking in my right shoulder on the first inch or two of the descent after a press.

Should I just ignore it to begin with?
Are there some drills I could incorporate to eliminate it?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The main question is if you notice any discomfort associated with it. If you start to notice any once you start to accumulate some volume, then it’s probably time to get a hands on assessment.

This past year I've been doing Simple and Sinister, and I've got my TGU up to 40 kg. I've never done any pressing other than to practice a couple reps.

This coming year, I'd like to incorporate a few cycles of ROP Clean and Press, but I've noticed a clicking in my right shoulder on the first inch or two of the descent after a press.

Should I just ignore it to begin with?
Are there some drills I could incorporate to eliminate it?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
When you lower the bell are you keeping your lat activated and pulling the bell down vs. just yielding to gravity?

TGU with 40kg is quite an achievement. There are quite a few on this forum who can do that but overall not many fit people can.

Your question goes to the cause of the click and its relation to the overall structure of shoulder and how the muscles are moving the bones (exercise form). Your post shows that you don't want to ignore it until it has been ruled it out as a problem. I think you are aware that it might possibly grow into a bigger one.
You may find that the click is not present with a lighter bell using excellent form. Best to get someone to check your form and also to learn very good form before adding weight. Just as you did when you started S&S.

I've never actually looked at video of myself pressing before. Does it look like there are mobility issues at lockout?

Last edited:
I’m sure others will have details I don’t immediately see, but your groove going up is significantly different from your groove coming down. Going up you press more out to the side and coming down you bring it more in front of your body. It’s more easy to see from the side view. You might experiment with keeping it the same up and down and see if anything changes. I suggest pressing with your pressing arm perpendicular to a wall. This will give you an idea of the angle you’re pressing at. Move farther away to press more “to the side” and closer to press more in front of your chest. Changing form a bit might allow you to train without aggravating anything that might be “off.”

Clicking can be a number of things, so if it keeps up and is uncomfortable I’d get it checked out regardless.

I thought the elbow was supposed to come forward on the descent (like an elbow strike), but perhaps I was exaggerating it a bit. I do find if I take the same groove back down and go really slow, I can avoid the clicking, but it doesn't feel like something I could or should do with a heavier weight.

I'm not actually planning to start seriously pressing until perhaps around March, and then I'm going to start with the 16. So I think my plan for now is going to be to feel out different options for the groove and tension, and to add in some extra mobility work. The search page doesn't show any certified instructors in my area (Kelowna, BC), so I think I'm just going to have to take it slow, and feel things out as I go.

Consider an online session with a StrongFirst Certified Instructor or the new VICTORIOUS video with Fabio Zonin.

Bottom-up pressing can be effective for finding your pressing groove.

I was once told by a physio not to worry if things click, only if they click and hurt, dont know how true that is but its always stuck with me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom