all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press - Dominant vs Other arm huge difference

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello, Have just finished Swing Sandwich program after @Steve Freides recommended I improve press ability.

Test Day revealed Dominant Arm (RH) much much stronger than Other Arm and much better improvement 64 yo 80kg male
Before Swing Sandwich Right 3 x 20kg Left 3 x 18kg
After Swing Sandwich Right 6 x 22kg Left 4 x 20kg (Left 22kg = dont even think about it)
Did some pullups & pushups to celebrate then tried both arms again on 20kg to compare with with LH
Comparison RH 8 x 20 LH 3 x 20

That is a huge difference in capacity and improvement, is that normal ? Will take some videos to see if obvious difference in technique LH to RH. Am doing the knees glutes abs tension, shoulder blades retracted toward buttocks, irradiation of the fists and cocking the hip.

I am very proud of my 22kg kettlebell = 20kg + 2 ankle straps on the horns - How do other people "cheat" their weights ?

I think 6 x 22kg "qualifies" me for a 24kg 1RM but am not tempted - would not want an out of control 24kg wobbling above my head.

Attachments

• 22kg_Kettlebell.jpg
    22kg_Kettlebell.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 9
Hello, Have just finished Swing Sandwich program after @Steve Freides recommended I improve press ability.

Test Day revealed Dominant Arm (RH) much much stronger than Other Arm and much better improvement 64 yo 80kg male
Before Swing Sandwich Right 3 x 20kg Left 3 x 18kg
After Swing Sandwich Right 6 x 22kg Left 4 x 20kg (Left 22kg = dont even think about it)
Did some pullups & pushups to celebrate then tried both arms again on 20kg to compare with with LH
Comparison RH 8 x 20 LH 3 x 20

That is a huge difference in capacity and improvement, is that normal ? Will take some videos to see if obvious difference in technique LH to RH. Am doing the knees glutes abs tension, shoulder blades retracted toward buttocks, irradiation of the fists and cocking the hip.

I am very proud of my 22kg kettlebell = 20kg + 2 ankle straps on the horns - How do other people "cheat" their weights ?

I think 6 x 22kg "qualifies" me for a 24kg 1RM but am not tempted - would not want an out of control 24kg wobbling above my head.
Self videos can be very revealing and educational for you. They could expose a hip tilt, an extra lean, a subtle difference in bell path, ...etc.

With that much of a difference, maybe double presses or push presses with active negatives can be beneficial in closing the gap. Double kettlebells seemed to link and balance irradiation for me when I was rehabbing an injured shoulder earlier this year.

That is a huge difference in capacity and improvement, is that normal ?
It is normal. Everyone has one side stronger than the other, but as you train more and more you want to get the R and L numbers as close as possible.
As mentioned previously, double presses or just train both arms using the weaker side numbers.
You should be.
I just buy heavier bells. I personally don't like the idea of having stuff attached or hanging from my bells.
Technically your 1rm should be more than 24kg, more like 28 or 30. And also you should be able to easily press the 24kg with your right arm for more than 1 rep, just be confident about it.

Congrats on your achievements.

Hey @Daniel Vintila ........................ Thanks for the advice. You were right !
Technically your 1rm should be more than 24kg, more like 28 or 30. And also you should be able to easily press the 24kg with your right arm for more than 1 rep, just be confident about it.

I had a go, did some warmups 12kg 16kg 18kg 20kg 22kg then
RH 5x24 rest 3min, 2 x 26 rest 10min, 1x27 - (couldn't do 28, gotta get some heavier ankle weights)
LH 1x24 very difficult but managed

Am chuffed - thanks again for the advice. Will start another Swing Sandwich (Freebie on the App) using heavier weights.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom