all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press ladder medium and light days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
I understand the RoP weekly progression for Heavy days: 3 ladders to 3, then 4 to 3, then 5 to 3. Then one ladder to 4, 4 to 3. Next week 2 ladders to 4, 3 to 3, etc. until 5 ladders to 5.

But for the first Medium day after reaching 1 ladder to 4, 4 to 3 in the Heavy day, is it:
- 5 ladders to 3 (same as the prior week’s Heavy day), or
- 1 ladder to 3, 4 ladders to 2 (following week 2 to 3, 3 to 2, etc)

Similarly, is the first Light day:
- 5 ladders to 2 (same as prior week’s Medium day), or
- 1 ladder to 2, 4 ladders to 1

Basically, are there two big weekly volume jumps (to 4 rungs and again going to 5 rungs)? First jump is 50 reps one week (5 to 3, 5 to 2, 5 singles) to 79 (34 on Heavy, 5 to 3, 5 to 2) the next, then smaller increases for a while until starting the first ladder to 5 on the Heavy day?

But for the first Medium day after reaching 1 ladder to 4, 4 to 3 in the Heavy day, is it:
- 5 ladders to 3 (same as the prior week’s Heavy day), or
- 1 ladder to 3, 4 ladders to 2 (following week 2 to 3, 3 to 2, etc

If I understand correctly, it is:
- 1 ladder to 3, 4 ladders to 2 (following week 2 to 3, 3 to 2, etc[/QUOTE]

I think you have the right idea Sean.

@Steve Freides should be able to confirm

best,

Mark

Question about the ladder system in ROP
There you go!
The first option with the big jump.

To be honest at first I interpreted it like you did with the second option, the one without the big jumps. It was actually @Steve Freides who told me the big jumps are the go-to option.
In the end there's no right or wrong as long as you stay within the boundaries of the program.
Thanks - my plain reading of ETK was the big jumps, but wanted to confirm.

Last edited:
Thank - my plain reading of ETK was the big jumps, but wanted to confirm.

Keep in mind that you don't have to add reps in lockstep every week. Since moving up to a new top rung on heavy day causes a big jump in your new medium day (as you mentioned, it jumps up to what was your old heavy day), consider not only whether you are ready to add that one top rung, but whether you are also ready for the new medium day and accompanying jump in weekly volume.

Depending on how challenging your current bell is, you can accelerate the progression or stretch it out longer.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom