all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press...Press....Press...where's the pull?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Complicated and Sinister ? ? ?
Ha, I was thinking s&s. push- get up(floor press). Pull- swing. Hinge- swing. Squat- goblet. Carry- getting my bells to the courage corner to start s&s. Even mobility- get ups, & pretty much the s&s warm up.

I am trying to put together the ultimate free weights & kettlbell program-
Pavel did this almost twenty years ago: the original program minimum
S&S is his regression, if you will, of the original program minimum-designed for the less mobile

Guys, getup is hinge, squat, push, pull, carry, abs, groundwork. Why even add swings? Plus, it has an actual dynamic upper body pull which swing doesnt. Stop complicating this!

Hmmm, remember- my program will also have barbell lifts- at this stage here are the moves: Bench/Low Bar Squat /Dbl. KB Press/DBL KB Squat will be the four main lifts. There will also be TGU's and Swings. And Chin Ups....plus I've got a day for loaded carries. And I've got waved periodization. As noted prior, this will be the ULTIMATE FREE WEIGHT AND KETTLEBELL PROGRAM. I forgot to add, I should have a monthly deadlift day thrown in. This program is getting really complicated now, maybe I need some of those "Zercher" squats to balance out the back squats?

Bent press is a barbell lift....TGU can be a barbell lift....;)

What I loved about finding Strongfirst and Pavel's work was...drumroll....I didn't have to obsess about designing programs anymore. 2 moves, plug and chug. I now spend less energy thinking about strength training design and have more success strength training. Go figure.

I think some Steinborn squats to balance all the frontal plane work would be good too.
Add a Lano Lift once a month with the deadlift and you’ll be golden.

Hmmm, remember- my program will also have barbell lifts- at this stage here are the moves: Bench/Low Bar Squat /Dbl. KB Press/DBL KB Squat will be the four main lifts. There will also be TGU's and Swings. And Chin Ups....plus I've got a day for loaded carries. And I've got waved periodization. As noted prior, this will be the ULTIMATE FREE WEIGHT AND KETTLEBELL PROGRAM. I forgot to add, I should have a monthly deadlift day thrown in. This program is getting really complicated now, maybe I need some of those "Zercher" squats to balance out the back squats?
I hope this doesn't come along as too rude, because it's meant as honest advice.

- You're not a personal coach, physical therapist or something similar.
- You have not undergone any kind of certification (like SFG, SFL or similar certs from other institutions).
- From what I read in your posts you didn't even attend a course about training (like the SF 1-day courses, the Starting Strength seminar. etc.).
- You're 51, which means (ideally) you had ~35 years to train and say that you are already training with barbells (bench press etc.), yet you struggle to press the 24Kg and call it "heavy" and "Monster" in other threads.

At this stage of your journey to strength, fitness and health you have absolutely no business in designing any kind of routine or program.
You simply have to follow the proven routines from people who actually are in the position to design routines -> people who are coaches or PTs, people who underwent certifications or at least people who walked the walk for a couple of years and reached respectable numbers by doing a couple of different existing routines as written!

I hope this doesn't come along as too rude, because it's meant as honest advice.

- You have not undergone any kind of certification (like SFG, SFL or similar certs from other institutions).
- From what I read in your posts you didn't even attend a course about training (like the SF 1-day courses, the Starting Strength seminar. etc.).
- You're 51, which means (ideally) you had ~35 years to train and say that you are already training with barbells (bench press etc.), yet you struggle to press the 24Kg and call it "heavy" and "Monster" in other threads.

At this stage of your journey to strength, fitness and health you have absolutely no business in designing any kind of routine or program.
You simply have to follow the proven routines from people who actually are in the position to design routines -> people who are coaches or PTs, people who underwent certifications or at least people who walked the walk for a couple of years and reached respectable numbers by doing a couple of different existing routines as written!

Y'know I cannot argue with any of this...conditionally.

At 50+ years old, one is liable to have gone up and down in fitness metrics any number of times, with all manner of success or failure using a bunch of programs, modalities, or simple linear progressive resistance. The top end weights I have moved have gone up and down by large amounts depending on the decade, and the same may very well be true in this case with KIWI5

I personally have done very few formal "programs" though have followed program advice. I have never had a program written specifically for me, and all the other programs are based on an average. So the idea of following one when I already have a good idea how to make gains while working around over 40 years of accumulated training wear and tear (not to mention my work and home schedule) simply doesn't appeal to me.

No programs come with a guarantee and not everyone who fails to reach a standard at the end of a given training cycle has done anything but what was prescribed. If they all worked we would never stop gaining, and never be looking for another program to try. That clearly is not the case.

That said, the literature on waving weekly/daily/by system is widely available, as is a ton of linear progression strategies that virtually anyone with good movement mechanics and gear might follow, plugging in applicable exercise selections from a variety of modes, with a great deal of success. Of course they might also not want to call it "The Ultimate Free Weight and Kettlebell Program!" - such a thing simply does not exist for starters, not to mention all the other reasons you've listed.

I might be wrong, but I thought kiwi was joking.

Last edited:

Nahh, but you do need a Plyo day, just because.

After a 31 year hiatus in any resistance training I am back! I started lifting again last year and have read lots of forums. My qualifications as a custom programmer cannot be disputed! Disclaimer: my sense of humour may escape some folk! Apologies.

Last edited:
After a 31 year hiatus in any resistance training I am back! I started lifting again last year and have read lots of forums. My qualifications as a custom programmer cannot be disputed! Disclaimer: my sense of humour may escape some folk! Apologies.
Not me, picked ya early.

dc- funny you mention clubs. Anyone who closely (if not obsessively) follows my posts knows my interest in club swinging. And yes- there will be space for 2lb clubs in my ULTIMATE program. Currently, I'm buying a pair from FMS. With all the pressing I'm doing in DFW, some club swinging as active recovery seems like a durn good idea.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom