all posts post new thread

Barbell Press progression in PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JGP718

Level 4 Valued Member
hello all.

I'm a few days into PTTP and am curious how to progress my press. I'd like to follow the set/rep scheme of 2 sets of 5. I am using the KB military press right now with a 16kg bell. I can perform this on both sides without much trouble. If I go to the 20kg bell I can't get 5 reps on both sides. How do I progress using this format and how do I know when to make the jump to the next size bell.

Thanks!

The KB press probably needs more volume because of the larger jumps between weights. Have you considered ETK?

+1 for RoP

PTTP varies the load (or actually stress in the body) using intensity (weight on the bar). You increase the weight either linear progression, or various waves or step cycles, but the variable is intensity, always 10 lifts. Since this is pretty much impossible with kettlebells, having 4 - 8 kg jumps KB programs are volume based - the load is varied with the number of lifts (usually denoted as NL). This why RoP is suggested and preferable for use with kettlebells.

From my personal experience lifting over the last 3 years one of the good things about KB work (and big-plates only barbell work) is the only way to progress is to collect volume, own the movement, and constantly use full body tension even when the weight gets easy. This way you don't "sneak up" on the weight with mediocre technique.

The original is probably better than me paraphrasing... This dude says allot of interesting stuff

Hello,

Plus, ROP is not an everyday program. You have to rest because training volume is significant.

What is your current routine ?

Considering elements listed above, ROP will likely force you to cut off a part of your routine. A "modified PTTP!" will not.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm a few days into PTTP and am curious how to progress my press. I'd like to follow the set/rep scheme of 2 sets of 5. I am using the KB military press right now with a 16kg bell. I can perform this on both sides without much trouble. If I go to the 20kg bell I can't get 5 reps on both sides. How do I progress using this format and how do I know when to make the jump to the next size bell.
You'll benefit from reading about "Easy Strength" and understanding its principles. Here's what you need to know for now:

- the Rite of Passage program others have recommended is a great program but it's not an Easy Strength approach. You can still stick with Easy Strength.

- mix the 20 kg and the 16 kg as needed in order to achieve a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 15 reps per day; it doesn't have to be two sets of 5. If you max at 3 reps with the 20 kg, do mostly singles and some doubles. Here are some possible press days for you:

* 16 kg x 5, 20 kg x 1, 20 kg x 1, 16 kg x 3. Those four sets can also done in any order.

* 20 kg x 1, x 2, x 1, x 1, x 1

* 16 kg x 5 reps x 3 sets

* 20 kg x 1, 16 kg x 3, 20 kg x 1, 16 kg x 3

* Once very couple of weeks, try 16 kg x 3, 20 kg x max reps and see how you do. Don't fail on the max reps test, just make sure you don't start a rep unless you're confident you can finish it.

- As you progress, keep to the basic logic of Easy Strength: moderately heavy weight, low volume per day, most days of the week.

- Except for singles, try not repeat the same thing twice in a row, e.g., don't do 16 kg x 3 reps x 2 sets. Stick a 20 kg in between, or do 16 x 2, 16 kg x 4.

-S-

If you want high frequency practice with low taxing than +2 for @Steve Freides's post. Read Easy Strength

RoP and Easy Strength are two different roads to travel.

RoP is a well defined, structured, easy to follow program which liberates you from the need to think on programing for a long time. Time tested and proven.

Easy Strength gives some freedom of choice within a well defined guidelines, can be practiced at higher frequency, lets you follow the natural rhythm of your body and mind. Time tested and proven.

From my point of view there are only pros listed for both approaches (no cons). Easy Strength more loose approach (and being a set of guidelines rather than a program) require more discipline to prevent overreaching. Steve's ideas in his post are a great place to start if you follow the ES road.

Just pick which ever roads you think you'll stick to for longer time, and give it at least 4-6 weeks before you assess it's effectiveness.

@Shahaf Levin, since the original poster is trying to do a by-the-book PTTP, I think it's better to stick with that approach. One can make great gains this way and the daily practice is excellent for learning good form on a lift.

The principles I've given for using a kettlebell for the press portion are derived from PlanStrong's logic, some of which can be gleaned from Pavel's blog, From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S

-S-

@Shahaf Levin, since the original poster is trying to do a by-the-book PTTP, I think it's better to stick with that approach. One can make great gains this way and the daily practice is excellent for learning good form on a lift.

The principles I've given for using a kettlebell for the press portion are derived from PlanStrong's logic, some of which can be gleaned from Pavel's blog, From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S

-S-

You are right. Keeping with PTTP the ES approach is much more suitable.

And I think I am one of many waiting for that PlanStrong book :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom