all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press RM guidelines

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tom Flint

Level 6 Valued Member
I feel like such a rookie asking this but despite trawling through the forum, I can’t find the answer I’m looking for.

When a pressing program calls for a rep maximum weight e.g. your 5RM, and assuming the program asks for clean-and-presses, should the test be taken to mean your MP 5RM or CP 5RM?

I ask because I’ve begun Dry Fighting Weight with my MP 10RM (per some suggestions, despite the official 5RM prescription - 2x32kg is more like 3-4 MPs for me) but it just feels a bit light. It’s probably my 12RM if we’re referring to CP.

Many thanks!

Any program by Geoff is challenging so it would be wise to start light

You can always pause in the rack for a second before pressing and dropping down to squat

@iron&flint When I ran DFW I based it on my MP RM. I ended up running the program with a pair of 24kg, they too were a bit light (28kg would have been ideal, 32kg was a bit heavy), but the volume can build pretty easy and for me, they were a good choice. Personally, I think going a bit light is better for that program than going heavier.

When a pressing program calls for a rep maximum weight e.g. your 5RM, and assuming the program asks for clean-and-presses, should the test be taken to mean your MP 5RM or CP 5RM?

In general, take the 5RM of the same exercise unless specified otherwise. I've never done DFW, but my MP is about half of my CP; the clean part takes the tension of the arm and gives it a little rest :)

....if it is a clean and press program, then generally the RM would be for clean and presses. Would usually be stated otherwise.

Thank you for the replies!

Any program by Geoff is challenging so it would be wise to start light

You can always pause in the rack for a second before pressing and dropping down to squat

Good thoughts! I may do that, especially before the volume builds.

@iron&flint When I ran DFW I based it on my MP RM. I ended up running the program with a pair of 24kg, they too were a bit light (28kg would have been ideal, 32kg was a bit heavy), but the volume can build pretty easy and for me, they were a good choice. Personally, I think going a bit light is better for that program than going heavier.

I think that’s probably right in my case too. I was thrown a bit when I saw an old post of Geoff’s telling someone to push press their 2-3RM rather than going lighter. Could be interesting trying it that way further down the track! How were your results with the 24s? They’re what I’m on too for this. Hoping they’re not too light for a training effect!

In general, take the 5RM of the same exercise unless specified otherwise. I've never done DFW, but my MP is about half of my CP; the clean part takes the tension of the arm and gives it a little rest :)

Yep that difference is why I wanted to sort out my confusion - my MP is probably 80%-ish of my CP. If you misinterpret the requirements, it turns into a very different program...

....if it is a clean and press program, then generally the RM would be for clean and presses. Would usually be stated otherwise.

I used to assume that but then I kept reading that when presses are mentioned alone - no mention of cleans - that it would typically just mean a single clean followed by unbroken presses. Glad to have this clarified though, thanks!

It does mean I feel I maybe should have gone down the 32kg route but I’ll stick with the 24s for this run, I think. Will see how we go!

Thank you for the replies!

Good thoughts! I may do that, especially before the volume builds.

I think that’s probably right in my case too. I was thrown a bit when I saw an old post of Geoff’s telling someone to push press their 2-3RM rather than going lighter. Could be interesting trying it that way further down the track! How were your results with the 24s? They’re what I’m on too for this. Hoping they’re not too light for a training effect!

Yep that difference is why I wanted to sort out my confusion - my MP is probably 80%-ish of my CP. If you misinterpret the requirements, it turns into a very different program...

I used to assume that but then I kept reading that when presses are mentioned alone - no mention of cleans - that it would typically just mean a single clean followed by unbroken presses. Glad to have this clarified though, thanks!

It does mean I feel I maybe should have gone down the 32kg route but I’ll stick with the 24s for this run, I think. Will see how we go!

I did the exact thing with another of his programs, RMF...

felt much stronger when I decided to restart another 2 week block, handled the heavier weights much better than if I jumped straigh in

I did the exact thing with another of his programs, RMF...

felt much stronger when I decided to restart another 2 week block, handled the heavier weights much better than if I jumped straigh in

Annoyingly I only have 6 weeks until I’m stuck on haphazard ‘park bench’ for the next few months due to work travel so it’s my one shot to make the most of it. Otherwise I’d hop straight onto another heavier block soon after finishing this!

Last edited:
@iron&flint I really enjoyed DFW and will probably finish out the year with it. For me, it was my first press program and I think it worked with good success. I did extend it to six weeks by repeating week 4, other than that, I followed it as written. Prior to starting I was able to press my 32kg twice on the left and three times on my right, following DFW I doubled each of those and they felt really strong. I have not been pressing nearly as much as on that program, but most of the strength seems to still be there. Physically, I definitely saw some shoulder growth and increase in definition. If I do run it again this year, it will most likely be with the 28kg for ladders and the 32kg for the singles-triples.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom