all posts post new thread

Barbell Press variations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Philippe Geoffrion

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello all

I wanted to inquire about possible pressing variations one can use with fixed barbell weights. I currently train in a park with a gate pipe and 6 x 26 kg plates. There are no clamps or securings on this pipe. So far, I train nearly everyday. Deadlift variations are plenty and the pipe is very thick making for excellent grip work, however pressing is difficult.

I can press the 2 x 26 plates + pipe for several reps but am nowhere near cleaning and pressing 4 x 26 kg. I train for strength, so reps > 5 are out. Floor pressing with 2 plates is too easy while with 4 nearly impossible however I can press from a bridge the 4 plates for > 5 reps. Here are some variations I’ve found.

Incline press (I prop my back on two plates)
and use 2 x 26 plates
Clean and Push Press - (too easy for 5 reps) with 2 x 26 plates
Hollow body Floor press-pretty solid for 2 x 26 plates.

The reverse grip press is another option but really what I’m looking for are ways to make pressed easier with the heavier weights like bridge presses or harder with the light weights, like slow negatives, pauses etc, which I all ready use. Any suggestions? I also practice high tension gymnastics but my current goal is to clean and press the 2 x 26 kg for 5 reps and floor press the 4 x 26 kg for 5 reps. Any advice is appreciated!

You can always do LOTS of low rep sets, increasing your baseline strength until four plates becomes achievable. And if that's not enough, shortening rest times might be a good idea.

This is true. There is somewhat of a DeLorme like quality to these weights I have, although the pipe itself my be too light for anything but mobility and forearm drills.

People have gotten stronger using higher reps. Taking sets closer to failure does result in more complete recruitment and/or more neurological effects. If the equipment is placing limits on you, consider not placing additional limits on yourself.

This is true and valid. However, bein that I am quite broke, I've found high reps harder to recovery from and require more nutrient uptake o benefit from. Could be wrong, but this approach may not be completely suitable at this time, but can definitely be of use in the future.

If you can push press 4x26, consider overhead support holds, overhead carries and slow eccentrics. These will help you get comfortable with the weight overhead.

If you can push press 4x26, consider overhead support holds, overhead carries and slow eccentrics. These will help you get comfortable with the weight overhead.
Indeed. I don’t think I can yet push press it but I can do various horizontal presses with it so hopefully that’ll help me build up to it.

I have also been using the 2 x 26 for lockout work overhead.

@Philippe Geoffrion

Why dont you hold the bar assymetrically, carrying different weight with each hand? You could do some sort of progression 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, 90/10 and by then you would be able to do 4x26. Sets reps could look like this:

3x5 with 60/40
3×5 with 40/60.

You could combine it with a volume day using 50/50 going to 8 reps, or M L H days, or triple progression. Or maybe the original Faleev progression that went to 8 reps?

Another idea is to work on handstand push ups progression or OAPU progressions.

Last edited:
@Philippe Geoffrion

Why dont you hold the bar assymetrically, carrying different weight with each hand? You could do some sort of progression 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, 90/10 and by then you would be able to do 4x26. Sets reps could look like this:

3x5 with 60/40
3×5 with 40/60.

You could combine it with a volume day using 50/50 going to 8 reps, or M L H days, or triple progression. Or maybe the original Faleev progression that went to 8 reps?

Another idea is to work on handstand push ups progression or OAPU progressions.

Thanks for this advice @ Oscar. I have considered doing asymmetrical work. Yes and I have been using handstand push ups and OAP practices to supplement the barbell work. I have found a few other methods since I’ve first posted this. Pausing in key places and doing 1.5 reps has also been useful. It seems minimal equipment breeds a certain creativity.

For those interested, here are some ways I’ve found to work on the press using just the 2 x 26 plates and pipe.

Standard Press
Push Press
Jerk
Press start ( thrust off chest to sticky)
Push Press to slow negative
Push Press to lockouts (start over head then lower to forehead and lockout)
1 press start + push press (1.5 reps)

Also combining starts then doing a push press and doing lockouts is another option. Also, I’ve made an incline setup which also aids in the press as well as using my “squat rack” to do rack work (more lockouts ha!).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom