all posts post new thread

Barbell Pressing everyday question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Toomuch4

Level 1 Valued Member
Don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question. I'm currently doing the Bulgarian Method, and I'm doing the bench-press or a variation of it six days a week. Once I get to a point where I feel satisfied, I'd like to shift to working on overhead pressing more. Do you think that benching two days a week and overhead pressing four would maintain the benching strength? Or do you think the bench would start to go down?

I'm thinking something like: Monday: standing strict-press, Tuesday: Bench-press, Wednesday: standing strict-press, Thursday: Bench-press, Friday: Standing Strict-press, Saturday: Push-Press. Do you think that someone with a strong bench would lose bench-press strength doing this?

I've never tried what you're talking about but I've never heard someone complain about losing strength from working out twice per week. It's a bit complicated though because when training daily or near daily every workout impacts every other workout so I guess if you were emphasising your OHP days, even sub-consciously, you might end up backing off a bit on your bench days. But I'm not convinced even that will cause you to lose bench performance. Maybe consider some strict programming to ensure you maintain a good balance but personally I wouldn't be concerned at all

I don't think you'd lose any strength even if you passed on the bench totally for a while but did other pressing. But sure, your idea should be fine.

Personally for daily training I would choose which movement I want to strengthen and minimize if not remove completely the other movement. If you do it right, your bench will hardly suffer.

On a personal note: I have tried a couple different times to bring up my overhead press through daily/Bulgarian style training and failed each time. For most people it seems the overhead press responds best to volume vice intensity. Also, a lotta folks' shoulders don't like high frequency + high intensity barbell pressing for extended periods. For me, 1-2 pressing sessions a week with LOTS of sets of 70-75% (along with LOTS of patience) worked best for overhead press.

Short answer: you will not lose bench strength if you bench twice a week.

Long answer: if you decrease the frequency of a movement, you should increase a little bit the volume, as long as you can recover.
I don't know how you are doing the Bulgarian. The original version is to work up to a max single, and then do 2x2 with 90% of max single.
If you decrease the frequency of benching, I would suggest that you do more back off sets.

Something like that:
Max single
2x2 at 90% of max single
4x2 at 80% of max single

I'm not sure what you mean about losing your pushing strength.
If you're pressing every day, you can expect the number when down for a short amount of time if you lower the frequency. It's more like skill aspect of the lift. Clarence Kennedy (Harry Squatter) said that he back-squats nearly every training seasons, one rest day could cause lost 10-20 kg in squat.
However, if you still keep the muscle mass used in the bench press, you don't have much to worry. Give yourself a few weeks to adapt to new program, and soon your number would go back.

Clarence Kennedy (Harry Squatter) said that he back-squats nearly every training seasons, one rest day could cause lost 10-20 kg in squat.

Yeah, well Clarence also had to have knee surgery and cortisol shots:

It's also highly debatable whether he's natural and not on PEDs, as he refuses to compete in tested / sanctioned events, claiming drug testing is "unfair".

I wouldn't expect to train like him, or get his results, if you're natty.

Yeah, well Clarence also had to have knee surgery and cortisol shots:

It's also highly debatable whether he's natural and not on PEDs, as he refuses to compete in tested / sanctioned events, claiming drug testing is "unfair".

I wouldn't expect to train like him, or get his results, if you're natty.
Yes, I don't think 5x5 squat nearly everyday with that kind of weight is suitable. But I'm talking about skill to handle heavy weight. Some people feel more comfortable with training with heavy load nearly everyday, as long as the volume is suitable.

And yes, he admitted using performance-enhanced drugs.

I’d suggest reading PTTP: Professional and reviewing the system for The Press. The training was similar to what you’re describing. It was not uncommon for the press, and its variations including the BP, to be trained 6-7 days a week. As Pavel loves to say, “to press a lot , you have to press a lot.”

I’d suggest reading PTTP: Professional and reviewing the system for The Press. The training was similar to what you’re describing. It was not uncommon for the press, and its variations including the BP, to be trained 6-7 days a week. As Pavel loves to say, “to press a lot , you have to press a lot.”

It's challenging to discuss frequency independent of intensity.

Training 6-7 days a week at 50% intensity is very different from doing it at >85% intensity.

It's challenging to discuss frequency independent of intensity.

Training 6-7 days a week at 50% intensity is very different from doing it at >85% intensity.

Certainly, the intensity should be wavy, however. A degree of auto regulation is necessary with such training.

@Steve Freides talked about doing a pressing variant of the daily dose deadlift several times..

I recommend asking him how he set it up and implemented it to his routine

Hello,

The daily dose press program is in this thread (post #23)

Otherwise, I currently run a routine which makes me doing 10 sets of 2 HSPU, 6 days a week. It maintains super well my OA push up and OAOL push up. But I do not know if this "rule" may also apply to weight training.

In general, vertical press tend to be "enough" to roughly maintain horizontal pressing. Obvisouly, nothing beats specialization.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom