all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Pressing Reset:Original Strength Reloaded

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Travis,

Just found this thread; sorry I'm late to the party. Have been doing OS 5-7 times a week for the past 2 and 1/2 years. Yeah, I'm north of 55 (73). OS would be good for anyone, even parents.

Since I exercise the first thing in the AM, OS is a great warm up for me and all my follow on KB sessions. Ten minutes of continuous resets followed by 5 to 15 minutes of crawling. I do all the types of resets except for the breathing ones as I have been a belly breather my whole life due to asthma as a child. For about 2 years crawling consisted of 5 min of spiderman crawls (SMC) followed by 5 minutes of baby crawls, often done in a bird dog manner. Lately I have added loaded crawls that included 17 and 1/2 of a SMC dragging 48 kg and 10 min backward SMC dragging 24 kg. Also doing SMC bird dogs.

To your query about whether you can stimulate the vestibular system by doing OS with closed eyes, I cannot say but can give my experience. Segmented rolls were quite easy for me, so for a long time I did them with no arm movement and minimal leg movement while rolling with my eyes closed. I thought that this was a progression. However, one of Tim Anderson's blogs talked about rolling being basically a form of crawling. Another post by Tim or Geoff Newport reemphasized that babies first see something, move their head toward the desired object, and then move toward it. Bingo! Something clicked for me because now I use exaggerated and more graceful arm and leg movements for my rolls and move my eyes and head first. I believe I am getting much greater benefit from this than with the eyes closed variants.

When I was doing TGU, I had greater difficulty posting to my right elbow on left hand TGU than the other side. So I worked very hard to learn the FMS hard roll. I could do it to the left with difficulty but rolling right was really hard. For the past year and a half I have included 10R and 10L FMS hard rolls in my OS rolling sequence. Just recently I saw a video of Tim doing the hard roll and noticed that all he seemed to do is move his head. When I tried it, I moved my eyes first as far as I could, then my head, and let my body follow. I started to laugh when I discovered how easy the hard roll was now.

While you may get some vestibular stimulation with an eyes closed OS session, my experience is that I got more from moving eyes, then head, then body. FWIW

I was at the OS Recess this past weekend for the LEVEL II and the Coaching stuff. The new book is done and should be shipping this week! I also got to meet John Brookfield. Awesome.

I was at the OS Recess this past weekend for the LEVEL II and the Coaching stuff. The new book is done and should be shipping this week! I also got to meet John Brookfield. Awesome.

I am getting impatient already ;)

@Mark Limbaga my Copy of the new book and my OS loop shipped as of this morning. Hopefully yours have as well. Strength to you my friend.

my loop was shipped last week according to John so I assume it will arrive saturday at the earliest or anywhere between tuesday to thursday next week

Got my book Friday afternoon. It is a revision of the first Original Strength book. Better explanations and pictures in this version and with more MEAT on how the OS system works and WHY. Good stuff.

Which book is recommended to get first among the OS books? Is it the "new" reloaded? Does anyone have the others and care to share an overview of what they contain?

I know I posted this before but I cannot find it.

Just starting out get the new one.

Pressing Reset:Original Strength Reloaded - covers the basics and explains the system

Once you understand that then there are a few others.
OS Restoration is mostly regressions but still good stuff in there.

OS Performance shows how to LOAD the resets for more Options.

Tim says he has another one coming out this year and also OS Coach Chad is coming out with one called OS for the Tactical Athlete's.

I know I posted this before but I cannot find it.

Just starting out get the new one.

Pressing Reset:Original Strength Reloaded - covers the basics and explains the system

Once you understand that then there are a few others.
OS Restoration is mostly regressions but still good stuff in there.

OS Performance shows how to LOAD the resets for more Options.

Tim says he has another one coming out this year and also OS Coach Chad is coming out with one called OS for the Tactical Athlete's.

Great!

Thank you @MikeMoran

I'm late to the party as usual (fashionably?). Just downloaded the kindle version of OS reloaded. This week I have been incorporating into my warmup before S&S and karate. Those leopard crawls are harder than they look in the book! Just curious about volume required to feel a difference. 15 minutes daily?

A few minutes a day goes a long way but if you really want some serious goodness try 10 minutes AM and 10 minutes in the evening. On my recovery days I will do nothing but OS for 30 minutes and feel awesome.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom