all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pressing the 48kg without incremental bells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
Do you think it's possible to learn/build strength to press the 48kg without any incremental weights? Let me explain: I learnt to clean the 48kg without any incremental bells (except really really light ones that didnt prepare me at all)...

I basically done a variety of other things, from doing two handed cleans, removing fingers on the supporting hand as I got stronger. I would also use excessive momentum.

So could one not just 'try' pressing the 48kg, getting it in rack position then pushing it very short range of motion at first, using excessive push from the legs, etc. Surely over time I would be able to push it higher.. and higher, etc?

Obviously this is far from the most efficient way, nor is it the wisest in terms of injury prevention, but I would appreciate the communities opinion on this.

Last edited:
I think it’s definitely possible and a fun challenge. You could start with floor presses with help from the opposite arm, then jerks with help from opposite arm, then plain jerks, then push press, then press! This way you can still measure progress in other ways. While it’s not the most efficient way, I think it’s definitely doable, it would just take a while.

I can comfortably press the 32kg for one strong rep with no press training at all for about 2-3 years. What I have done is bent presses, then doing a very slow negative strict press to get the bell back down into the rack.
For reference, my bent presses are predominantly with the 32kg and 40kg. So yes, I believe that a moderate volume of negatives can result in a far stronger press - try it with the 48kg and see how you get on perhaps. :)
I was planning on starting a thread on my WTH increase in press strength at some point, though I've not been able to be very active on the forum as of late. Maybe watch this space!

If you can jerk it then jerk, when jerk gets easier use push press. And use slow negatives.
When you can push press it ~5 times you can propably press it once. :)

So could one not just 'try' pressing the 48kg, getting it in rack position then pushing it very short range of motion at first, using excessive push from the legs, etc. Surely over time I would be able to push it higher.. and higher, etc?

Obviously this is far from the most efficient way, nor is it the wisest in terms of injury prevention, but I would appreciate the communities opinion on this.
If you cannot put the bell overhead by other means, then I wouldn't work on pressing it. If, OTOH, you can jerk it, pushpress it, two-armed press it, bent press it, or side press it overhead, then we can talk about strategies, and I would not do as you suggest but rather work on lowering it under control.

-S-

Do you think it's possible to learn/build strength to press the 48kg without any incremental weights? Let me explain: I learnt to clean the 48kg without any incremental bells (except really really light ones that didnt prepare me at all)...

I basically done a variety of other things, from doing two handed cleans, removing fingers on the supporting hand as I got stronger. I would also use excessive momentum.

This would basically be isometric training and for such you don't even need the bell. Once the upper part of your door frame starts to bend while you push against it, you are prepared!

BTT, another approach... if you have access to a barbell, you can use that to build your pressing strength

@Oscar, in case it isn't clear, the movie is called, "Airplane." I would imagine it's available either dubbed or with subtitles.

-S-

@Oscar, in case it isn't clear, the movie is called, "Airplane." I would imagine it's available either dubbed or with subtitles.

-S-
Yes, I found the scene in youtube. Great movie. Many years ago the TV had the annoying habit of playing the movies dubbed. Fortunately now they play them with subtitles.

I didnt get it, had to google it. I wasnt born in 1980, so my English was not good enough to understand it at that time. This typically gets lost in translation.
Same here. Never seen that movie. Propably because I’m also so young too. ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom