all posts post new thread

Kettlebell previous tips revisited...TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
Just wanted to share a tip I had been previously given by SFG instructors I have seen in the past, regarding getups. Of course I know this tip, but had neglected to practice it (was concentrating on so many of the other nuances of the getup)....really squeezing the handle, holding it diagonally through the palm, which I do, but....concentrating on really digging the pinky finger in...recalled this today in my S&S session.

Holy Mother of Batman, it works, lol! I have sometimes had the sensation of my elbow softening slightly sometimes when getting down onto my knee and really have to concentrate on staying tight during this stage. Well folks this works...that sensation gone and wow does it fire up your tricep, and I felt a huge difference both with standing from lunge and kneeling down to lunge parts of the getup. Elbow felt so much straighter !!

just thought I would share, in case it would help anyone else. I love that I still am learning so many things every day! :)

Yes, the feeling of it being diagonal in the palm is something I discovered by trial and error. The TGU is such a great exercise! It has 6 or 7 or more movements in it - just beautiful, like a Karate kata. Contrary to popular belief, it does have a press in it - the first move is a "floor press".

Yes, the feeling of it being diagonal in the palm is something I discovered by trial and error. The TGU is such a great exercise! It has 6 or 7 or more movements in it - just beautiful, like a Karate kata. Contrary to popular belief, it does have a press in it - the first move is a "floor press".
@Kozushi I agree...! I have never done karate, but to me a getup is like poetry in motion. I often use music in swings, but usually shut it off when I do getups. So many things to concentrate on and think about, not in a mentally strenuous way, but makes me feel really Zen and tuned in.

great tip - will try it out next session. I must have glossed over this instruction if I have come across it before. Another fan of the get up for both the mindful flow aspect but also as someone who was quite stiff before starting S+S it is pretty cool to be able to get up and down to the floor easily - especially with a baby (who is now my movement coach)

@Kozushi I agree...! I have never done karate, but to me a getup is like poetry in motion. I often use music in swings, but usually shut it off when I do getups. So many things to concentrate on and think about, not in a mentally strenuous way, but makes me feel really Zen and tuned in.
Comparing the benefits of ROP vs S&S, which has been on my mind for the past few months, while the efficiency of the C&P for developing the body probably can't be matched by any exercise in terms of how much stronger you can get with so little movement or complication, effort or time, the TGU has an enormous mental component which the C&P just simply does not have nearly as much of. The TGU is a highly intelligent movement, like a karate kata whereas the C&P is like a boxing punch; my analogy is the the kata develops your mind more and your general awareness but the punch is a surefire, quick way to train to get ready to fight and you barely need any other moves. Overall the TGU is better than the C&P in my mind because of its multi-directional nature, developing all kinds of different muscles and directional strength, but I can't see any convincing reason not to do both, so I do!

Just wanted to share a tip I had been previously given by SFG instructors I have seen in the past, regarding getups. Of course I know this tip, but had neglected to practice it (was concentrating on so many of the other nuances of the getup)....really squeezing the handle, holding it diagonally through the palm, which I do, but....concentrating on really digging the pinky finger in...recalled this today in my S&S session.

Holy Mother of Batman, it works, lol! I have sometimes had the sensation of my elbow softening slightly sometimes when getting down onto my knee and really have to concentrate on staying tight during this stage. Well folks this works...that sensation gone and wow does it fire up your tricep, and I felt a huge difference both with standing from lunge and kneeling down to lunge parts of the getup. Elbow felt so much straighter !!

just thought I would share, in case it would help anyone else. I love that I still am learning so many things every day! :)
Thanks for the reminder, Crazy. I read that earlier thread that I think @Steve Freides started a few weeks ago about gripping tightly with the pinky finger and he even included a poll for us to vote on. I think 11 of 12 said it had positive benefits for their TGU's and presses. I tried it and it seemed to work very well for me but then totally forgot about it until now.

I'll have to try and remind myself next workout, too late for today's. Thanks again!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom