all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Principles of ladders for pull up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

quentin__bsbl

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello I am new to the world of pyramids, ladder. I think I will do the ladders because they look better to me and I can go higher and do another one afterwards and I will have more volume than with a pyramid.

Example: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 9 + 8 + 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 100
and
(1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10) * 2 = 110

So I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Number of repetitions: 1-2 before failure?
I am currently 20 so I imagine I will go up to 10 something like that but I will see that with my personal experience.

Rest time:
enough to perform the next set (1-2min max?)

Frequency:
I will go to do it 3x a day (morning-noon-evening) and 5 days a week.

Even though I know it's really personal training, I wanted to make sure I was on the right track and not doing too much / not enough.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? What are your training goals?
I’m training for the special Belgian intervention group. So to have a pulling force endure/ force and that it is as functional as possible and also be able to do 30 tractions (personal desire)

Ladders are nice because they can be self-regulating. For instance, if you do 1,2,3,4,5 for two sets, and then can't make the 5 happen on the thrid ladder, you are done. I also like non-sequential ladders, i.e. instead of 1,2,3,4,5 I do something like 1,5,2,4,3. So ladders can also provide a lot of variability within a training session.

Your outlined approach seems alright, but ladders up to 10 repetitions for 3 times/day at 5 days/week might have you creeping up on an overuse injury. It's probably doable but I'd recommend watching how your body and especially your elbows feel very closely. If things feel off on a day, then take a day off or just do much less repetitions that day. At a high frequency you'll be back at it soon enough and will likely benefit from the rest.

Hello,

Ladders are an extremely great tool for both strength and endurance. On the blog, there is this article:

As @bluejeff said, it is possible to train them a lot on a daily basis, but one has to be progressive and carefully listen to one's body. My "regular" routines already involves pull ups, both weighted and bodyweight. During the day, I use GTG with sets of 10. Usually, I do about 150 pull ups a day. I've never had any issue. However, I take a day off GTG (on sunday). This usually makes mondays and tuesday my best pull ups days.

High repetition calisthenics mostly require two things: progression and body listening. This is at least my humble experience.

You can also train with moderately heavy weights (something like 13kg, which is roughly a body armour + a few gear).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don't know about max rep training, but for strength I would work with this kind of ladders (the heavy, medium, light days are part of the original plan):
Zonin-Table-3-1-1024x248.jpeg

Source:

Just test your technical rep max and choose your ladder accordingly.
For a TRM of 10 you would do 3,4,7

Hello I am new to the world of pyramids, ladder. I think I will do the ladders because they look better to me and I can go higher and do another one afterwards and I will have more volume than with a pyramid.
The relative effect on strength and on hypertrophy will have a lot to do with how you structure either. Generally, the pyramid is better for hypertrophy than the ladder while the ladder is better for strength, but things like how long you rest also make a difference in the result you achieve.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom