all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Problem: Single Handed Swings with the 32kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I can do 10 x 10 two-handed Swings with the 32kg and, while it's a good, challenging workout, there's never any real pain or risk of injury. Yesterday, after doing 8 sets, I thought I'd try some one-handed Swings. These felt very tough, which I expected. However, by today I had developed significant pain in my right shoulder and hand. To the extent I'm taking a rest day(or two)to let the effected areas recover.

Is there a, "safe" way to progress from double to single hand Swings?

Is there a, "safe" way to progress from double to single hand Swings?
Yes, starting them at a lighter bell. Go back to a light bell, where you can perform them with good form and packed shoulders and then work up weight slowly. Not good for the ego, but great for the shoulders. S&S book covers some ways to make transition. hand-to-hand swings may help.
Good Luck!

Hi,

Some stuff to consider:
- add the heavier set after the first one, not almost last
- start at lighter bells
- do only few reps, say 5, at the beginning
- try mixing in between two hand swings, say 2 reps of each within a set

@NormanOsborn great work getting to where you are at. To get the best advice it would be best to post a video of a set of swings so that any technique errors can be corrected.

Have you felt this pain before?

Also, you say there’s never any real pain, does this mean you feel some discomfort doing swings? If so, I would again consider posting some technique videos.

@NormanOsborn great work getting to where you are at. To get the best advice it would be best to post a video of a set of swings so that any technique errors can be corrected.

Have you felt this pain before?

Also, you say there’s never any real pain, does this mean you feel some discomfort doing swings? If so, I would again consider posting some technique videos.

Thanks for replying. In answer to your question: when I'm doing two handed Swings with the 32, my forearms feel tight and pumped up, but that usually goes away twenty minutes or so after I've finished working out. My shoulders ache, but in the, "good" way you get after a tough session. Not the kind of pain you get from injury.

@NormanOsborn Can't give you any medical advice, but developing significant pain in your shoulder and hand should be a red flag for you. I will go ahead and guess that you are gripping the holy hell out of the handle and transferring that tension all the way up the chain right into your shoulder and upper traps.

Take another look at S&S where Pavel talks about the skill of tension and relaxation, especially concerning grip control. Think of it like controlling the volume on your stereo. The song is the same, it's just playing softer or louder. That is how you need to manage grip on the single arm swing, cleans and the snatch or your hands and forearms will fatigue way before your prime movers. Also, in between sets be sure to practice fast and loose drills. All the best.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom