all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Problem with tight hip flexors

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

johnny2710

First Post
Do any of runners have any suggestions for alleviating sore/tight hip flexors when running?

It seems to come on after about 10-12km on the flat and a bit sooner if there's lots of uphill.

I run 6.6km once a week without any issues but in the last month have done a 14km and yesterday a 20km run. The 14km one was pretty much flat with no pain until the last couple of km. The 20km one had about 470m of uphill over a mix of forest tracks, tarmac and bog... The final uphills we had to walk fast up as we were both in pain yet as soon as we get to flat or downhill sections we can run fine again.

These longer runs are done at a very leisurely pace (we can chat) and are basically just a way of rescuing poor weather days. However both myself and partner are struggling with sore hip flexors. The day after I'm fine and no residual pain etc.

Any suggestions welcome

I run 6.6km once a week without any issues but in the last month have done a 14km and yesterday a 20km run.
If I’m understanding correctly, you run once a week, which is usually around 6-7km?

If that’s the case, then these two long runs are double or triple your average length. Imagine what would happen if you suddenly doubled or tripled volume in other styles of training such as weight lifting. This sort of increase in running is often advised against, with maximum increase in weekly long run only being 10-25% increase from week to week. Running, even at a Z1-2 pace still entails some significant impact forces and literally thousands of reps per hour. Often, a runners “suspension” has issues before their “engine” gives out.

A few suggestions:
  1. Go back to your original distance and gradually increase:
    • Increase weekly volume by 10-25% of extra running at most
    • or at the end of your normal distance, add some extra time walking
  2. explore your running form/style and see if you over emphasize your hip flexors in some.
  3. Learn some hip flexor stretches.
    • I like typical kneeling hip flexor stretch, kneeling quad stretch, and the AGT split squat
  4. Exercise your hip flexors at other times
    • stand on one foot (or make it more intense by balancing on the ball of your foot) and raise your other knee in front of you repeatedly (with or without weight) - this helps with hip flexors and stride length.
    • make it a core exercise by doing hanging leg raises.
Here are a couple of helpful resources for running:

If that’s the case, then these two long runs are double or triple your average length. Imagine what would happen if you suddenly doubled or tripled volume in other styles of training such as weight lifting. This sort of increase in running is often advised against, with maximum increase in weekly long run only being 10-25% increase from week to week. Running, even at a Z1-2 pace still entails some significant impact forces and literally thousands of reps per hour. Often, a runners “suspension” has issues before their “engine” gives out.
This^

There is a thread on here about @Geoff Neupert P3 protocol. I’ve had major issues with tight hip flexors and as I’ve hit level 2 my hip flexors are looser than they have ever been.
Is that the same program as his knee /joint one?
How long has/does it take you? Min per day/days per week?

Yess ^^

That kind of volume increment in endurance running will lead to a case of “too much too soonitis”.

If you keep doing that, unless you got elite genetics, (one in less than one thousand chance) chances are something will break. Period.

Your hip flexors have given you a warning, heed it for your own good.

If you like long runs:
No more than 50% of weekly volume (if you are running very little, such as 30km/20 miles). If you get to running more weekly mileage (30-40%)
Do not extend them more than 10 min weekly
Do them around 2-3 times monthly.
Monitor recovery, and deload accordingly.
OFC you are already doing this: keep them easy (Z1)

Is that the same program as his knee /joint one?
How long has/does it take you? Min per day/days per week?
It is, also marketed as the Sore Knee or Sore Joint Solution.

It is a systemised version of OS where you progress through. I think you can still get phase 1 for free without having to give card details etc. to test out before getting the rest.

OFC you are already doing this: keep them easy (Z1)
This I think depends on the persons depth of aerobic base. Lots of people have limited true aerobic fitness and Z1 can be numbingly slow, to the point of not being able to jog before their HR goes above Z1. This can even be true for people who have run quite a bit and/or done HIIT, as they have overemphasized the glycolytic energy system and neglected the aerobic system. In this case Z2 (in the 5 zone system) is probably easy enough on the muscles and joints. On the other hand, elite endurance athletes have such deep aerobic fitness that Z2 is too fast to run several times a week because of the neuromuscular toll it takes.

Using the talk or nose breathing test is probably the easiest shortcut to find a safe pace to do long runs at regularly.

Do any of runners have any suggestions for alleviating sore/tight hip flexors when running?
If you look at Pavel's, "Relax Into Stretch" and "Super Joints" you'll find a hip circle movement and also a belly-dancing kind of movement. A lunge stretch is classic thing to do in this case as well.

-S-

The final uphills we had to walk fast up as we were both in pain yet as soon as we get to flat or downhill sections we can run fine again.
Possible Cause of Issue

Weak Glutes

1666961564662.png
Tightness in the hip flexors and low back are associated with weakness of abdominals and glutes.

Both two-hand and one-hand kettlebell swings are great exercises to strengthen the glutes

Last edited:
This I think depends on the persons depth of aerobic base. Lots of people have limited true aerobic fitness and Z1 can be numbingly slow, to the point of not being able to jog before their HR goes above Z1. This can even be true for people who have run quite a bit and/or done HIIT, as they have overemphasized the glycolytic energy system and neglected the aerobic system. In this case Z2 (in the 5 zone system) is probably easy enough on the muscles and joints. On the other hand, elite endurance athletes have such deep aerobic fitness that Z2 is too fast to run several times a week because of the neuromuscular toll it takes.

Using the talk or nose breathing test is probably the easiest shortcut to find a safe pace to do long runs at regularly.
Fully agree on this @Georgiaoutdoors !
I was just playing it conservative / simple but you are spot on.

It is, also marketed as the Sore Knee or Sore Joint Solution.

It is a systemised version of OS where you progress through. I think you can still get phase 1 for free without having to give card details etc. to test out before getting the rest.
Thank you!
How much time a day/per week do you spend on it?

@johnny2710 there are some great suggestions above.

+1 to managing volume of your runs.

I would also look into finding someone who can film you running and watch your running gait. As @Kenny Croxdale was saying, if the glutes aren’t doing their job appropriately, something else has to take up the slack. I may be off base here…. But my thinking is that running is forward motion. Your glutes and hamstrings and calves should be the big players in propelling your forward. If they aren’t, you may be “pulling” yourself forward by the hip flexors. In other words they may be working harder to get your legs in front of the body.

So if managing your training schedule a little differently doesn’t help, and you’re serious about running, I’d find a coach or someone who can film you on a treadmill or something. Physical therapy could be helpful, however, I’d want my PT to watch me do the things I like to do and not just lay on a table doing testing.

Hope it helps.

Weak Glutes
Glute Training For Runners To Consider

The research provides intresting information for distance runner to consider.

If I’m understanding correctly, you run once a week, which is usually around 6-7km?

A few suggestions:
  1. Go back to your original distance and gradually increase:
    • Increase weekly volume by 10-25% of extra running at most
    • or at the end of your normal distance, add some extra time walking
  2. explore your running form/style and see if you over emphasize your hip flexors in some.
  3. Learn some hip flexor stretches.
    • I like typical kneeling hip flexor stretch, kneeling quad stretch, and the AGT split squat
  4. Exercise your hip flexors at other times
    • stand on one foot (or make it more intense by balancing on the ball of your foot) and raise your other knee in front of you repeatedly (with or without weight) - this helps with hip flexors and stride length.
    • make it a core exercise by doing hanging leg raises.

This! Especially the strengthening part! Hip flexors are often weak and tight. Don't make the mistake of assuming that a tight muscle means that it is strong.

Just another in favour of backing off long runs and building up slowly.

Also, what is your occupation? Are you spending more time sitting recently. Sitting has our hip flexors shortened under next to no load and glutes lengthened under next to no load. Standing and walking can be a shock after sitting - when suddenly asking these muscles to concentrically/eccentrically load to get us into full hip extension....running obviously being a step up from that.

Maybe your hip flexors aren't right but struggling to fire lengthened.

Something to try:
Get into a lunge position with back knee on the floor. Everything should be at about 90 degrees (ankles, knees etc).
From here slightly tuck the pelvis. You will probably feel the hip flexor firing. It feels some what like a stretch but is the hip flexor firing in its lengthened/weakest position.
After this pelvic ruck try to pull the from foot backwards. By this I mean attempt to pull the whole floor underneath the foot backwards.
Now ramp up the tension. The more you put through the front foot the more you will feel the back lengthened hip flexor.

Give it about 5 seconds and stop. 2-3 times on each side.

Strengthening the muscles in its longest and weakest length.

Richard

Foam roller helps to loosen you up. Don't follow a program, just find the sore spots and work on them.
Some of us are pretty effed up, and for the price of a foam roller and a lacrosse ball, and some alone time you can save yourself some serious cash as opposed to visiting the local physio

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom