all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program advice needed please.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My answer would be different if I knew you were possibly thinking of avoiding the gym and getting set up at home , with space constraints.
No, setting up at home isn't an option for me at the moment, my squat rack and bits are in storage. Mentally I have found some barbell strength work is good for me, so gym visits are going to be part of my week. Just struggle sometimes going from having access to all I needed whenever I needed it to that not being the case. Also, as my wife would say, I'm not exactly a people person at the best of times. Thanks for your thoughts.

In response to the spectre of a small amount of space.

Here's my minimalist snatching rig during some very tough times of my life.
Q&D twice a week.
24 kg.
Screenshot_20221006-080315.jpg

Here's my full kit.
Simple & Sinister
16 24 & 32 kg
Screenshot_20221006-080356.jpg

Here's my old mainstay leading up to the end of my simple journey
24kg, 32kgScreenshot_20221006-080418.jpg

A well stocked courage corner doesn't take much room.

Well that was humbling.

I had my new 24kg turn up at work today. Already had my 16kg here, although it was mostly getting used as a door stop.

Did my first go though of S&S, knocked me on my a#@! It took just over 42 minutes and that was without the stretching after.

I know I had said that I wanted to get some barbell work incorporated in a couple of sessions at the gym a week but considering how much this took out of me today I'm reassessing if that is going to be a good use of my time, at least for the first couple of months.

Hopefully with 5-6 sessions a week it won't take too long to have a bit of an improvement on the conditioning side of things and get this down to between 30-35 minutes.

The journey begins

Well that was humbling.

I had my new 24kg turn up at work today. Already had my 16kg here, although it was mostly getting used as a door stop.

Did my first go though of S&S, knocked me on my a#@! It took just over 42 minutes and that was without the stretching after.

I know I had said that I wanted to get some barbell work incorporated in a couple of sessions at the gym a week but considering how much this took out of me today I'm reassessing if that is going to be a good use of my time, at least for the first couple of months.

Hopefully with 5-6 sessions a week it won't take too long to have a bit of an improvement on the conditioning side of things and get this down to between 30-35 minutes.

The journey begins
Awesome! Just a tip: the program starts with you dedicating about 30 minutes a day to practice the exercises. Don't force yourself to make all the reps and sets. And re-read the book regularly to find out what you can do better. It helped me a lot.

Awesome! Just a tip: the program starts with you dedicating about 30 minutes a day to practice the exercises. Don't force yourself to make all the reps and sets. And re-read the book regularly to find out what you can do better. It helped me a lot.
Thanks for that, I had forgotten about that one. To be honest I didn’t know how long it had taken until I was done as I had made sure I couldn’t “clock watch”

I’ve got the kindle version but thinking of getting the audio one as well so I can listen on my commute.

Thanks for that, I had forgotten about that one. To be honest I didn’t know how long it had taken until I was done as I had made sure I couldn’t “clock watch”

I’ve got the kindle version but thinking of getting the audio one as well so I can listen on my commute.
I'm actually re-listening to the audio now. Hearing Pavel with his inflections of speech explain Sinister - is something I've probably done 100 times and somehow there are always these little gems I'm either learning or relearning. (Today I'm reminded to dial back to an 80-90% effort can be helpful to conserve energy. but that's enough of that for now.)

something I did maybe a couple of handfuls of times was set a stopwatch or scribble down a start time. I did this for several time portions.

startstop
before warmupafter stretches
after warmupbefore stretches
before swingsafter swings
before getupsafter getups
etc.

what I can remember off the top of my head (to satisfy my curiosity) was that it waved from ~10 minutes of swings and ~10 minutes of getups - all the way up to ~25 minutes of swings and ~25 minutes of getups. mostly hovering around 30 minutes of practice and a couple of really tough days where I had to step back. especially after taking up 32kg.

I did note the seemingly random disposition my body would take - and the strange dislocations between my recollection and the timer. some days i was sure the clock was broken - there's no way I rested that long - or - why did that go by so fast?

but cest la vie . I haven't done it since, since my curiosity had been satisfied. and that was that.

I'm actually re-listening to the audio now. Hearing Pavel with his inflections of speech explain Sinister - is something I've probably done 100 times and somehow there are always these little gems I'm either learning or relearning. (Today I'm reminded to dial back to an 80-90% effort can be helpful to conserve energy. but that's enough of that for now.)

something I did maybe a couple of handfuls of times was set a stopwatch or scribble down a start time. I did this for several time portions.

startstop
before warmupafter stretches
after warmupbefore stretches
before swingsafter swings
before getupsafter getups
etc.

what I can remember off the top of my head (to satisfy my curiosity) was that it waved from ~10 minutes of swings and ~10 minutes of getups - all the way up to ~25 minutes of swings and ~25 minutes of getups. mostly hovering around 30 minutes of practice and a couple of really tough days where I had to step back. especially after taking up 32kg.

I did note the seemingly random disposition my body would take - and the strange dislocations between my recollection and the timer. some days i was sure the clock was broken - there's no way I rested that long - or - why did that go by so fast?

but cest la vie . I haven't done it since, since my curiosity had been satisfied. and that was that
That looks like a good idea, I might end up doing something similar but I can get a bit obsessive on stats so will see how it goes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom