all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program Advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MikeyJoe

First Post
At 39 I stepped on a scale, looked over my big fat paunch - and weighed LESS than I had since High School?!

How could that be possible?

In my 20s I had a 30-inch waist, could rep handstand and one-arm pushups, pull-ups and pistols, and NOW I had a 36 inch waist, could barely do a few pushups and couldn't go up the stairs without breathing heavily.

How did I become this pudgy sad sack?

Now, a year and a half later, I've got a shaky handstand pushup back, a 30-inch waist and blurry abs now and then - and my weight's 10 lbs higher.

I'd started with StrongLifts, added pull-ups and chins, with HIIT on off days. After hitting the beginner goals I switched the program up to a 4-day split, added a little goal-related support work and more variety in reps/set, but kept the emphasis on progressing on big lifts.

At this point, I've hit most of the Intermediate 2 goals. (StrongLifts 5×5 Workout Program for Beginners | StrongLifts.) My squat's bad because I hate gyms and don't have a rack, so I currently do high reps around 130lbs and zercher squats up to 160lbs. I've started working with pistol squats, too.

I'm still consistently progressing on everything but shoulders (stuck repping around 130, 1RM: 150) but it has gotten slower. No injuries. No constraints.

I feel great, never miss a workout, stick to my programs, enjoy big lifts, getting stronger, meeting goals.

Now I want to focus on getting leaner (lose the back fat and "thick skin" around my middle) getting fitter, work on conditioning, but keep getting stronger, too.

I'd be happy to continue my program with small adjustments to bust plateaus, but then...

Enter the Kettle Bell. I picked it up and quickly understood it could teach me things. And I suspect TGUs will help break my 4-month shoulder press plateau.

I'm drawn to the simplicity, mastery and progressive nature of SS, but don't want to lose my lifts. Or muscle - if I'm not lifting heavy while trying to lose some body fat.

Do I do the periodize SS a few months anyway, and test lifts on variety/light days? Will I even be able to do heavy lifts "for fun" on variety days?

Or do I stick with what I'm doing and just replace my HIIT with some KB work?

Other?

I would do what's working until it doesn't work anymore.

S&S instead of HIIT might actually give you more energy for lift days. Would recommend it.

Doing S&S will likely not decrease your lift numbers, and if they did it would take a short peaking cycle to return. Likely will keep them constant or even slightly improve.

I wouldn't do heavy sets on variety days. A little too taxing. Many things work with S&S, I can't recall exactly which threads right now but hopefully someone can link for you.

/.02

Loose body fat in the kitchen.

Do something like
Mon & thu S&S
Tue & fri stronglift. Eg. Tuesdays bench, dl. Fridays pullups and squat

Keep doing what you do, but add few days of s&s. I think you could also do kb presses instead of Barbell press sometime. It may help you with that plateu, it may not help, but you don’t progress anyway so it’s not the end of the world. :D

Thanks, all. I'm going to follow the general advice here, keep lifting and add S&S on rest days and see how long I keep progressing. 1 week, so far so good. Maybe I'll drop some sets lifting when I have to

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom