all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tobias

First Post
I’m sure this has been asked already but I’m trying to figure out what different kettle bell programs offer given the amount of overlap they all seem to have when it comes to ‘checking all the boxes’. Asked another way, why would I choose Simple and Sinister vs Kettlebell Strongfirst (Bhutto fanatics) vs Quick and the Dead?

For background, I have all three of the above mentioned books/program along with ‘The Naked Warrior’ and have been doing some variations for a couple of years now (90% of the time it’s S&S). I am a 43 yo nurse educator and a father of 3 so I either get to choose training or sleeping. During office hours I can do some bodyweight exercises in my cubicle. Martial artist and for a time held the 10th spot on the all time top 10 in power cleans for my college football team. I was and still am 5’11” (180 cm) 220 lbs (100 kg) not bad for one of the smallest guys on a southern California championship team. Since doing kettlebells I feel like I’m closing in on being able to go toe-to-toe with my 20 year old self. So thank you Strongfirst.

I recently went up in my 2 arm swings to 32 kg, can do get ups with 40 kg easily and can do 3 strict presseswith a 32 before feeling the burn. (I almost never press so ‘what the heck? ;-) )

From what I gather the three programs have a great many things in common, the biggest difference being the rest periods. I’ve gone through all the wonderful bio chemistry in ‘The Quick and the Dead’ several times and feel I have a basic understanding of some of the mechanisms. What I am not understanding is how these three programs different rest periods change the overall outcome. Is there a simple breakdown of why an experienced athlete would choose one program over the other? I know it always ‘depends on what you’re looking for’, so may we imagine 3 different athletes and create hypothetical scenarios as to why each one would choose each program.

Really? No one replied to this?

I haven’t heard of bhuttho fanatics. Simple and sinister is a minimalist kettlebell program, ie, learn just two moves, do them 30-45 minutes a day, get good carryover / bang-for-your-buck.

I haven’t done Q&D. I own the book, I figure I’ll read it when a time comes when I’d like to implement it, but I myself am still unsure what it means to accomplish. Smarter cardio/work capacity which rivals CrossFit’s methods? Minimalist GPP? Certainly it isn’t a strength program… I’d also love some clarity as to what Q&D aims to accomplish specifically so I can become jazzed about reading it and plan when to implement it, as I have with pttp, nw, ss, etk, and so on..

Asked another way, why would I choose Simple and Sinister vs Kettlebell Strongfirst (Bhutto fanatics) vs Quick and the Dead?
They may check all the boxes, but their focus differs.
Naked warrior, PTTP, kettlebell ladders with clean & press - focus on "slow", maximal strength. Ah, PTTP and naked Warrior does not check the endurance box at all ;)
Sometimes I do C&P ladders EMOM with lighter weight for endurance, although there are much better candidates for this, I just like presses.

Q&D, A+A with clean & jerks (and similar) - build endurance by increasing mitochondrial density/function and improving aerobic capacity without leaving a havoc in your body. There is a reason why they focus on explosive/quick lifts.

S&S - something in between. Great for busy people, I like it a lot, but I miss full ROM press here. For me personally, this is the reason I do not this protocol exclusively.

That's why I find good to rotate them, with S&S being the one you can safely spend the most of the time with.
I know it always ‘depends on what you’re looking for’, so may we imagine 3 different athletes and create hypothetical scenarios as to why each one would choose each program.
If I imagined 3 athletes I think likely none of them (depends on the discipline?) should follow Q&D for the most of the year.

@Tobias, I think the answer for most people is to move through the different programs, e.g., work on S&S until you hit Timeless Simple, then try another program. As I've said here many times before, I like to program myself in 13-week blocks - sometimes longer if I'm continuing to make progress in pursuit of a specific goal. You mention 2-arm swings with a 32 kg - 1-arm swings, 100 of them, is the swing portion of Timeless Simple and that would make a fine goal for you.

-S-

I'd work on attaining timed simple first then explore either the rite of passage or Q and D

Thank you all so much! This is a very helpful discussion.
Side note: ‘Bhuttho’ is a typo I missed on my original post and should be ’BJJ’ Fanatics, as in Brazilian JuJitsu .
It is where I found the program by Pavel where you do clean and jerks every 30 seconds until quality of the reps dip. Based on the above discussion I would guess this is about achieving explosive endurance?

I cannot recommend Geoff Neupert's KBWOD enough if you're new to kettlebells. You will progress through the kb universe over 52 weeks. By the end, you will know exactly what you like, and especially what you do not like.

It starts simple with one-handed swings and carries, and it culminates with double kb complexes. (including double kb snatches!)

Really? No one replied to this?

I haven’t heard of bhuttho fanatics. Simple and sinister is a minimalist kettlebell program, ie, learn just two moves, do them 30-45 minutes a day, get good carryover / bang-for-your-buck.

I haven’t done Q&D. I own the book, I figure I’ll read it when a time comes when I’d like to implement it, but I myself am still unsure what it means to accomplish. Smarter cardio/work capacity which rivals CrossFit’s methods? Minimalist GPP? Certainly it isn’t a strength program… I’d also love some clarity as to what Q&D aims to accomplish specifically so I can become jazzed about reading it and plan when to implement it, as I have with pttp, nw, ss, etk, and so on..
What Q/D aims to accomplish is explained quite thouroghly in the book imo. Why not read it

For instance, once you become strong why not try power for….(reasons explained).

I loved the book and go back to it often even if I’m not exactly tng just power. Great resource imo.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom