all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program for reduction and strength.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

taro

Level 6 Valued Member
I wonder which training program to choose.
I am just finishing 10 weeks of QD (snatches 20kg bell).

I want to exercise with 2x24kg balls.
I tested my max:
C&P - 7x
FR SQ - 10x
MP - 5x
+
Pulling - 10x chinup, 8x pullup

Goal:
- fat loss :)
- strength in MP
- strength and endurance in SNATCH (1RM and Snatch test - 100x24kg / 5min)
- increasing the number of pull-ups

I don't have much time for training with kettles, that's why QD suited me very well.

I am considering the following options:
Moving Target (no snatches and pull ups)
Dry Fighting Weight (no snatches and pull ups)
Armor Building - how to write progress?
5x5?
5x5 -> 5x10? 8x8?
Push - pull - legs (MP / C & P, SQ, SN / SW, Pullup)

A / B trainings that would last 20-30min would suit me best.

Example:
A) MP + FR SQ - 5x5 / 2min super series.
B) Pullup + 1H SN - 5x5 / 2min super series

Example 2:
A) QD swings/pushups
B) Armour Building or sth - CL+PR+SQ
What with pullups and snatches in this case??

Diet - of course it is. Tim Ferriss Slow carb :)
-4kgs/4 weeks

Can anyone advise something?

Your plan sounds reasonable.

Consider ETK+, something like this (this is one of my staple programs, fyi, some of the indentations got messed up on the Paste, my apologies, hard to fix on a cell phone):

In recent years, Pavel and Strongfirst have put out a lot of articles on the importance of Long Rests. I have adapted ETK+, for myself, to follow this training methodology. Therefore, I have thrown out the clock. I no longer worry about time. I roll the dice for how heavy a bell I will be using, and I roll the dice to determine my volume for the workout. Because of this, I now favor heavier weights. CAUTION: I find that I will unconsciously choose lighter kettlebells if I know my volume first. So I recommend rolling the dice, and let’s pretend you roll a 6, which is supposed to be HEAVY RPE. Choose your kettlebell(s) before rolling the dice for your volume (otherwise you may be tempted to choose a lighter bell if your volume is high). NOTE: For single arm lifts, if the volume is 30 lifts, I mean for this to be 30 lifts per arm, not 30 lifts total.
A note on exercise variability. Originally, this variability is what attracted to me to this program. However, in recent years I have been minimizing the number of exercises to improve and I like this better. In fact, the last time I ran this program, I did not vary the exercises at all! I like this best! You don’t have to choose these exercises, but I find these to be the best. For Grind Day, I do Single Arm C&P in parallel with Tactical Pullups (just like the Right of Passage), alternating between each exercise. Then I do Double Kettlebell Front Squats, followed by Double Kbell Military Press. If it isn’t obvious, the difference between C&P and military press is that the former has a clean in between each press.

In terms of the weight, I no longer set a weight for each roll of the die, as in my example, above. This is too cumbersome and difficult to document. Instead I use RPE (rate of perceived exertion). If I roll a 1 or 2, it is Light. A 3 or 4 is Medium. A 5 or 6 is Heavy. So this is very dependent upon you, how strong you are, and how you are feeling that particular day. If I was doing a single arm press, Light would be 24 or 28 kg, Medium would be 28 or 32 kg, and Heavy would be 36 or 40 kg. I don’t own a 44 kg. On a rare occasion If I rolled a 5 or 6 I may use the 48 kg (but likely not, this is supposed to be Park Bench for me). I hope this example makes sense.

My current modified ETK+ inspired program:
  • · Warmup (for each of these Grind and Ballistic days)
    • o A few goblet squats
    • o Halo’s
    • o A couple light TGU’s
    • o Some light 2 arm swings
  • · Grind Day
    • Press #2
      • Single Arm C&P
        • · 1 RPE Light
        • · 2 RPE Light
        • · 3 RPE Medium
        • · 4 RPE Medium
        • · 5 RPE Heavy
        • · 6 RPE Heavy
      • Volume (Ladders 1,2,3,4,5, for Heavy weights I may stop at 3 on the ladders)
        • · 1 15 reps
        • · 2 15 reps
        • · 3 30 reps
        • · 4 30 reps
        • · 5 45 reps
        • · 6 45 reps
    • o Pullup
      • Tactical pullups
        • · 1 RPE Light
        • · 2 RPE Light
        • · 3 RPE Medium
        • · 4 RPE Medium
        • · 5 RPE Heavy
        • · 6 RPE Heavy
        • · 1 15 reps
        • · 2 15 reps
        • · 3 30 reps
        • · 4 30 reps
        • · 5 45 reps
        • · 6 45 reps
  • Squat
    • Double Front Squats
      • · 1 RPE Light
      • · 2 RPE Light
      • · 3 RPE Medium
      • · 4 RPE Medium
      • · 5 RPE Heavy
      • · 6 RPE Heavy
    • Volume (Ladders 1,2,3,4,5)
    • · 1 15 reps
    • · 2 15 reps
    • · 3 30 reps
    • · 4 30 reps
    • · 5 45 reps
    • · 6 45 reps
  • Press #2
    • Double Military Press
      • · 1 RPE Light
      • · 2 RPE Light
      • · 3 RPE Medium
      • · 4 RPE Medium
      • · 5 RPE Heavy
      • · 6 RPE Heavy
      • · 1 15 reps
      • · 2 15 reps
      • · 3 30 reps
      • · 4 30 reps
      • · 5 45 reps
      • · 6 45 reps
  • · Ballistic
  • o Pull
    • Heavy Single Arm Snatches (I favor heavier weights and lower reps)
      • · 1 RPE Light
      • · 2 RPE Light
      • · 3 RPE Medium
      • · 4 RPE Medium
      • 5 RPE Heavy
      • 6 RPE Heavy
    • Volume (Ladders 5,10 for Heavy weights I only do 5 reps rungs
      • · 1 20 reps
      • · 2 20 reps
      • · 3 40 reps
      • · 4 40 reps
      • · 5 60 reps
      • · 6 60 reps
  • Push Press / Jerk
    • Double Clean & Jerk
      • · 1 RPE Light
      • · 2 RPE Light
      • · 3 RPE Medium
      • · 4 RPE Medium
      • · 5 RPE Heavy
      • · 6 RPE Heavy
    • Volume (Ladders 2,4,6,8,10 for Heavy weights I may stop at 6 on the ladders [sometimes I like to go really heavy on these])
      • · 1 20 reps
      • · 2 20 reps
      • · 3 40 reps
      • · 4 40 reps
      • · 5 60 reps
      • · 6 60 reps

Simple programming usually works better for me.

I'd propose running 044/q&d snatch plan with the optional presses at the end of the session. I don't think the q&d book mentions it, but 044 mentioned that practitioners would improve their pressing and even allowed for some pressing practice after the snatches. Your pull-ups will improve just by losing weight, but you Could GTG pull-ups. So in summary:
- diet (80% of weight loss)
- q&d/044 snatches
- optional presses after snatches ( sets of 2-3 reps, for around 10 reps total)
- GTG pull ups

Good luck!

Thanks for answer, but probably I don't understand.
It's to much combinations.

I have 2-4x/week 20-40min for workout.

You may want to check with strongfirst on their 044 plans. They have a 044 plan that's higher volume than the q&d version. This version may align with your goals better.

Thanks for answer, but probably I don't understand.
It's to much combinations.

I have 2-4x/week 20-40min for workout.

I'm sorry. I pasted from something I had previously written. It is confusing. In simple terms. 4 training days per week, alternating between an A and B workout.

A =Grind Day=4 excersises = (1) Single kbell C&P ladders super setted with tactical pullups, similar to ROP (2) double kbell front squat ladders. (3) a 2nd press, double kbell military press ladders

B=Ballistic Day=2 excersises=(1) single kbell snatching like A&A, (2) double kettlebell C&J ladders.

044 is QD snatch workout.
No?
There are 2 different 044 plans (B & C). A low volume & higher volume. The lower volume one is in Q& D. Like I said, I did not see this plan matched up with presses in Q&D, but the high volume 044 plan that I've seen actually encourages you to add some press sets at the end of the snatch session. Of you are kinda like "been there, done that" then by all means, find some thing different to keep you engaged. But, I just thought it would be the simplest and most elegant way to hit your specific goals.

Good Luck!

A thought - how much work one does is an important variable. When considering body composition and also considering keeping the length of one's workout low, picking a lift at which you can move a lot of weight at one time can be beneficial. E.g. I need only 20% of the repetitions with a 120 kg barbell that I need with a 24 kg kettlebell in order to move the same amount of weight.

-S-

Otherwise.
Pavel, which two kettlebells program do you recommend? For strength.
I will be use 5RM for MP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom