all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program GTG with PTTP

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ben Hoffman

First Post
Hello--
I'm looking for advice on how one would combine a grease the groove style training with a power to the people style training. I have access to weights and obviously my body. Here's my thoughts:

GTG for one exercise (push-ups, pull ups, or pistols): 5-7 days for week, working with principles outlined in Naked Warrior

PTTP for squats, deadlifts, bench. Work the program as outline in the book, using a linear cycle. Train almost everyday. I won't train the same type of movement for PTTP that I would use for GTG. For instance, if using GTG for push-ups, no bench in PTTP.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Too much? Too little? Thanks!

I plan to do something similar at some point.

Pistols and pull-ups fit nicely because they are not in PTTP.

A press every day (even alternating bodyweight and barbell/kettlebell) may be a bit much. As deadlift is the meat of PTTP, if the pressing is too much, perhaps skip the 5x2 (or 5,3,2) presses on PTTP day (or don't do a press GTG move).

I've thought about doing something similar with squats. Then GTG with a bodyweight push and pull. Has anyone ever done PTTP with squats as the main focus?

I've also wondered if you could just do PTTP style squats, then just do a regular upper body push/pull 3 days a week. Something like....

5 days a week

2x5 PTTP squats

3 days a week

50-100 KB swings
Push up progression
Handstand push up progression
Inverted row progression
Pull up progression

The barbell DL offers most people a lot of potential for skill/CNS-based improvements, which is one of the reasons it's a great choice for a high frequency program like PTTP. Although one certainly can do it, in my mind, the BP and SQ aren't quite as good a fit because progress tends (this varies by the person) to depend more on some muscle gains.

JMO.

-S-

The barbell DL offers most people a lot of potential for skill/CNS-based improvements, which is one of the reasons it's a great choice for a high frequency program like PTTP. Although one certainly can do it, in my mind, the BP and SQ aren't quite as good a fit because progress tends (this varies by the person) to depend more on some muscle gains.

JMO.

-S-

I guess maybe this would be dependent on goals and how high you would like to get your squat? This option might not be good if you want to powerlift, but what if you just want a 2.5 to 3x body weight squat with minimal muscle gain?

Hello,

If you do not plan to do weighted pull ups or having a too long TUT while doing them, this is a good choice. Be careful of the grip if you do them with a weight. The same logic apply to the pistol: if you do them with a weight, be careful of hamstring / quads / core recovery.

In terms of skill - to learn balance, developing coordination & strength, etc... - the pistol is excellent. Learning it will never be useless. However, you already have a squat in your PttP plan. Then, take care about hamstrings / quads / glutes / core recovery.

For instance, if we consider Dan John's principle, each program should have a pull, a push, a hinge, a squat, a loaded carry and an "other"
Best Ways to Audit Your Program | T Nation

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Wesker11, to each his own. For general health and fitness purposes, I believe loading the deadlift heavy is almost required if one isn't squatting heavy, and I don't squat heavy - but I have a good squat movement pattern, and that's the combination I like. IOW, squat well, deadlift well and heavy. For me, and perhaps this addresses the longevity question as well, it's a good combination.

When I was a three-lift PL'er, I started getting hungry and started putting on muscle - par for the course if you're squatting, but it wasn't a result that I wanted so I switched to DL-only. I've lately been bench pressing again and, while I won't go crazy with that, it's another lift that tends to put size on people so I'm careful because I don't want any more size than I've got.

I think the problem with squatting and not gaining weight is that the two just don't go together well - people seem to put on weight as they improve their squat. You're right, of course, in that it doesn't have to work this way, but ...

-S-

Anything's applicable to GTG depending on how stressful the movements/leverages/loads applied to GTG are for you.

Low stress GTG is acceptable for anything in my experience. Easy Strength style never miss a
Rep, every rep looks easy, always fresh. Skillful play not stressful practice.

Anything where the GTG uses a variation that is too close to a 1RM, you'll put your self at risk. If it's closer to a 10RM... then no biggie.

Just my experience.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom