all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program Hopping

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I feel as though a mantle has been passed on to me…

I wonder if @Adam R Mundorf has found the answer it his inquiry.
I think I found the answer to my question. The way I see it now is that all roads leads to Rome and what matters most is that you choose a path that you believe in. Also that consistency rules over everything else, as Dan John would say : "Just show up."

That's not to say that everything has the same risk to reward ratio but everything provided you stay consistent, will get you to a similar place in the end.

I think I found the answer to my question. The way I see it now is that all roads leads to Rome and what matters most is that you choose a path that you believe in. Also that consistency rules over everything else, as Dan John would say : "Just show up."

That's not to say that everything has the same risk to reward ratio but everything provided you stay consistent, will get you to a similar place in the end.
But do they all lead to the same NEIGHBORHOOD in Rome? Maybe there are some crappy parts of town......

I noticed that, and that my emoticon was changed to an emoji/smiley.

Even with a winking emoticon, it's not the most noble sentiment, so I felt bad that it was attributed to someone else.

I'm guessing that @Philippe Geoffrion started to include a quote from you in his post along with one from me, and then deleted yours before posting it, but inadvertently retained your tag.
Or there is something wrong with the forum. I got a message saying you quoted me in a post...

But do they all lead to the same NEIGHBORHOOD in Rome? Maybe there are some crappy parts of town......
Very true. That's where the risk to reward comes in for me and proper progression. I mean how can you really progress bosu ball goblet squats in a safe manner?

Or there is something wrong with the forum. I got a message saying you quoted me in a post...
Actually...that wasn't a glitch.

I mistakenly tagged you (not quoted you) in a post. As soon as I hit submit, I realized that I had tagged the wrong user and immediately edited my post. But the forum must have already notified you that you had been mentioned.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have started exercising at age 47 after la sedentary life. I have reached my “goals” with in 1.5 years of exercising. But now after getting introduced to more focused SF programs and people I feel like I need a “goal” and consistency of not just showing up but a preset program, though I have to admit that I find it difficult.

It depends on the personal choice, in my current status of life where I wandered around for a few years I feel like Seneca’s quote is what I need…

"If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable." Seneca

Consistency trumps intensity 90% of the time, but when approaching a new program or training block you should get in it like your hair is on fire.

Nothing reinforces consistency more than success. Hit it hard so you get some positive feedback, punching the clock is no way to create confidence, good habits, honest effort.

All roads might lead to Rome but the shoulder is littered with the carts and chariots of those who wrecked on the way or decided it was too far to travel without knowing the remaining distance.

I have started exercising at age 47 after la sedentary life. I have reached my “goals” with in 1.5 years of exercising. But now after getting introduced to more focused SF programs and people I feel like I need a “goal” and consistency of not just showing up but a preset program, though I have to admit that I find it difficult.

It depends on the personal choice, in my current status of life where I wandered around for a few years I feel like Seneca’s quote is what I need…

"If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable." Seneca
Perhaps set yourself on some performance goals?

In Never Let Go, Dan John talks about the need to have contrast between life (or season) and training.
If life, routine and habits are ordered then you need spontaneity in your training.
And vice versa, if life is in a chaotic patch (perhaps even only so far as having kids to organise) then structured punch the clock workouts are beneficial.
Perhaps your hopping relates to seeking an escape from monotony elsewhere in your life? In which case, it is possibly serving you well health wise.

Perhaps your hopping relates to seeking an escape from monotony elsewhere in your life.
Self Doubt

The foundation of constantly chaning programs is based on self doubt and questioning the program you are on.

It is usually initiated by reading something new and different and believing it is a better choice than the program someone is currently on.

Short Term Chronic Changes

It is ineffective for training, diet, jobs, relationships, etc.

It ensures that an individual's progress in an area is limited.

Last edited:
Perhaps set yourself on some performance goals?
Hi Mark,

That is one of the things that I am learning and working on. I was thinking of setting my eyes of SFGI masters goals, it requires a significant cardio/endurance piece which would be healthy for me but KB path seems to be a longer path for me at least. So I have seriously started to look in to SFB masters requirements.

I beleieve for my personal preference, discipline and situation, such goals will speed up my process .

I don’t program hop but I also don’t doggedly stick with some program that bores me to death. Similarly if someone runs a program and tells me “I actually lost strength” I’m no going to entertain it frankly. Why I’ve never in my life ran German Volume Training. I’d sooner squat until I vomited and eat PBJ sandwiches until I was blue in the face. By some reasoning on here the program is more important than the human being.

Hi Mark,

That is one of the things that I am learning and working on. I was thinking of setting my eyes of SFGI masters goals, it requires a significant cardio/endurance piece which would be healthy for me but KB path seems to be a longer path for me at least. So I have seriously started to look in to SFB masters requirements.

I beleieve for my personal preference, discipline and situation, such goals will speed up my process .
Have you gotten your skills evaluated by an SFG instructor?

That will clearly give you a picture of where you're at and what are the next steps to take

Have you gotten your skills evaluated by an SFG instructor?

That will clearly give you a picture of where you're at and what are the next steps to take
Yes. And I have a interim program that I follow as of now. We are more clearing the way for near future. My mobility issues are similar for S&S and a BW program.

Hey StrongFirst,

As some of you may know, I have huge problems with program hopping and have currently been on S&S 2.0 for three weeks.

I am sticking to my plan, thank God, but it wasn't without literally writing up a whole rite of passage plan and almost changing direction again.

Does anyone have any insight or opinions on why I'm like this? Is it a lack of discipline or maybe just my handling of stressors in my life?

Thank you, Adam
your humility is impressive.
respect!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom