all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program Hopping

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SimplicityIsKing

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello Everybody,

I'm extremely guilty of program hopping and looking for the next best thing. Does anybody here have any advice or experience on the merits of sticking to one program? Any tips on how to overcome this program hopping addiction? In the end it just requires discipline to see through what I started.

Many Thanks!

I think you nailed it when you said it requires discipline. :)

You could try setting a specific 6-week goal, like "I will follow Simple and Sinister to the letter for six weeks", and have your goal be sticking to the program rather than chasing a strength metric. Might help you get into a better groove.

Hello Everybody,

I'm extremely guilty of program hopping and looking for the next best thing. Does anybody here have any advice or experience on the merits of sticking to one program? Any tips on how to overcome this program hopping addiction? In the end it just requires discipline to see through what I started.

Many Thanks!
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to "cure" program hoppers. If I was in charge of your program hopper intervention, I would have you sit and interact with a room full of people who had COMPLETED at least 3 solid months of S&S or ETK or ROP. Or any program for that period of time. And not the types who add a bit here, subtract a piece there. That's fine. But it's not "following a program."

What you would learn from interviewing everyone would be that the vast majority are quite pleased with their progress and are glad they didn't hop from one program to another. They made progress. They TESTED before they began their programs and they TESTED after the end of their programs and solid, quantifiable progress was made in 3 months.

Contrast that with a room full of program hoppers. They are not happy with their progress for the last 3 months. Otherwise they wouldn't be program hopping, right? Well, if they hadn't been program hopping they would've had a much better chance of making solid progress.

Some program hoppers are finally cured by watching their friends make steady progress by following programs for long periods of time.

So I guess my advice on how to overcome the program hopping addiction is to get your fill of disappointment and when you've had enough - START AND FINISH A PROGRAM.

This might sound a bit on the rude side, but that's not my intent by the way. If this helps you end the cycle then it'll be worth the tough love.

I'm a sinner too and once went through Stronglifts, 531, PTTP, Greyskull, Easy Strength and DogCrapp in about six weeks. I can't say for sure that I'm cured but recently completed 8 weeks of 1TRM Escalating Volume (google this website) so maybe. An eye-opener for me was reading a study that said the sweet spot for exercise-related gains (based on some criteria I can't recall) was programs of at least 6-14 weeks, with most people requiring minimum 10-14 weeks for optimal outcomes. That sort of makes sense to me. Good luck!

@SimplicityIsKing : I used to hop as well. Having a goal to work to (SFG I certification in October this year) made the difference, and working with an SFG instructor. I have a solid plan now to work with.

I'm extremely guilty of program hopping and looking for the next best thing.

Next best thing for what? Do you have a goal?

Usually the "next best thing" is what it has been from the dawn of times, follow something through... Just pick a program with proven result according to your goal and stick with it.

Any tips on how to overcome this program hopping addiction?
  1. Set a goal.
  2. Find a good coach. He/she will keep you accountable.
  3. Stop hopping!

Hello,

Does anybody here have any advice or experience on the merits of sticking to one program?
It depends on your goal. If you have a very clear and achievable goal (a meet, etc...), it is easier to plan your cycles (strength, power, endurance, ...)

What is your goal ? What are your constraints ?

Otherwise, more or less every program deliver. But you have to give yourself time. Your body needs time to get used to new stressors. 6 weeks is a good judge for most of the programs.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

"What you understand well, you enunciate clearly", Boileau.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I am also going through too many programs, never really reaping all the benefits. Last year started S&S, did it for about a month, get bored, started Total Tension, after 4th workout started doing Pistol and OAPU progressions etc. I think that just too many things looks exciting to me.

One thing that helps me was doing some kind of challenge for a month, in my case 300 swings a day. I learned to be disciplined, patient and just do what I have to do. Looking at this from today's perspective I think that 30 consecutive active days wasn't a smart decision and S&S would be better for me.

Right now I am looking at RoP, want to do double clean & jerk program and thinking that would be awesome to do snatch conditioning program. But I promised myself that I will not start new program until I achieve Simple. Period. (maybe a little pull up here and there and deadlift once a week because I received gym card as gift, sorry.... at least I'm trying!)

@ Pavel Macek
Set a goal > select program > follow the program > meet the goal > select another goal > select program > ...

Have a goal. This is the first step. If fairly well defined, do some homework and build an understanding of how this is commonly achieved.

Find a program that works toward the goal, or build your own based on common strategies employed by others to achieve similar goals. Sometimes people will stick with a program a lot more diligently if they have a hand creating it.

If the goal is general fitness and you are not on a timeline, then program jumping isn't necessarily a bad thing. Any exercise you do in a competent manner will move you toward the goal. But you should stay with each one to see what effect it has based on how it is structured, or at least try different common exercise protocols to see what you respond to best. Understand the expected outcome relative to your goals. Many programs have instructions for tailoring to some extent, but that is not always the best substitute for the correct program in the first place.

If you don't have a goal or vision, or if the vision is unclear, you are always going to have a tough time following a given program.

Hello,

@SimplicityIsKing
What would be your clear goal ? Or do you aim for "GPP" ?

Plus, do you have some constraints such as injury or time or whatever ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@SimplicityIsKing - you could consider program hopping as a trait that isn't inherently good or bad. I have some of that in me as well - the negative, as others have mentioned, is pulling out of a program before reaping the benefits. On the plus side, like me you are interested in learning new techniques and approaches, which most agree is necessary to keep stimulating adaptation in your body.

I try to keep a core of exercises covering basic categories going for 2-3 months at a time (e.g. Squat, DL, press) and intermix occasional lighter days with newer workouts (kb C&P, tgu done with HR target). Also can keep reading to figure out your next cycle of main exercises.

Make it work for you - like diet, politics, philosophy, etc., it is probably not fair or helpful to push one strict plan for everyone.

My personal preference is to divide my year into four parts. For the first and third quarters, I train freestyle - no program. For the second and fourth quarters, I follow a program that leads up to a test at home or a competition. Knowing that a certain date is your test is plenty of motivation to stick with the program for most folks.

-S-

The key for me was to find programmes with a natural in-built progression. Not so much set a goal but see what could be achieved from a programme and then just asked myself if that would float my boat.

Up to Simple, S+S did this for me perfectly, I could feel everything getting stronger and the weights getting easier. This could easily be a 6-12 month endeavour, took about 10 months for me and very rewarding. Beyond Simple I have struggled, rate of progression felt very slow to me - but I will return to it.

A cycle of RoP builds beautifully over 12-14 weeks with a new challenge every week. I managed to run two cycles then started to stall - probably through starting too heavy. Again very rewarding while progress was being made.

I did one of Al's A+A 6 week programmes - worked beautifully and to end up swinging 300 40 kg one-handed swings felt great.

Each time I completed a programme it felt great. If I changed before the end I would have short changed myself.

Currently decided to learn to barbell lift and am now about 12 weeks into Stronglifts 5 x 5, again great progression and feels very rewarding. I'll stay on this until I stall.

Each time I felt:
1) I knew what I would get out of it
2) It was something that felt worthwhile to me
3) Hopping too soon would have felt like giving up.
4) Boredom wasn't an issue, by working on things where I added weight or reps and set mini PRs every week I stayed engaged.

The times I have struggled with my training is where I have decided to free-style and do my own thing. There is an art to programming and I don't have it.

Hello,

For me, a program has to :
> be simple (not a lot of exercises, complicated set / reps)
> be proven efficient
> be time efficient
> be daily if possible
> make me stronger after than before and letting me fresh and "operational

Kind regards,

Pet'
>

A lot has been said of great value above, as someone who has been guilty of program hopping I will just add a couple of things:

1. A great way to avoid program hopping is to have a sport that is your main focus. Whether this is ping pong or powerlifting knowing that you have to improve certain attributes for competition will make a lot of difference. You can also find variety within your sport specific training, and return to the simple but effective strength training of a tried and tested program without becoming bored.

2. Check out the rest of your mental health. Program hopping has always been a surrogate marker of stress for me. When I am really stressed my mind goes away from dealing with the actual stressor and moves towards something I can control. I will be dissatisfied with whatever the stressor is, but decide that I am also dissatisfied with my training. I will then decided to change my training program, chasing after the "perfect" program. This sets up a cycle of guilt about program hopping, which ironically leads to more program hopping.

3. Freestyle training can be great. You won't excel at anything, but you probably won't suck at anything either. Find your own balance.

4. Some paradigms can be unhelpful and trying to incorporate too much into a program can ruin it. Look at what the actual aim of your program is and decide if it is right for you before embarking on it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom