all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program Hopping

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thank you to everyone for the wonderful responses. I'm currently sticking to S&S. I want to at least achieve Simple standards and maybe Sinister. I just want some basic GPP and nothing to stressful that will interfere with my life and job. Thank you to everyone again!

Is it possible that one sets a goal, selects a program, follows it (or at least thinks so) to the letter and yet not have a result?
What would/could be the reasons?

Last edited:
Is it possible that one sets a goal, selects a program, follows it (or at least thinks so) to the letter and yet not have a result?

Two reasons comes to mind. First, the programs does not set the individual on the right path to the goal. A good and proven programs usually set the path from "average individual" to a goal. If ones to much away from this "average individual" than the program might not put him on the right path.

The second reason is that one does not follow the program (what you called "thinks so" is part of it). Some examples: doing PttP twice a week (instead of 5), doing Easy Strength with 95%+ load (instead of varying between 80%-95%), working on Justa's singles with 20 sec rest between singles (instead of 1-2 min) and so on... As part of the second reason, faulty technique will also inhibit progress...

If you check through the literature there are no shortage of studies where participants doing identical activities resulted in a wide range of responses. Any program is going to work "on the average" and some will need to tweak more than others to find a level of intensity, volume, and pacing that achieve a desired result.

I'm a fellow program hopper. I have strictly stuck to some programs too though. It's all about the goal. Generally, 3-4 weeks of a program is enough to identify if it's meeting what you want and if not, I think it's perfectly fine if not better to abandon it and look elsewhere.

It's like dating, why waste either persons time if they have things about them you don't like after getting to know them better. It's when you find the program that you fall more in love with as you get to know it that is worth sticking to. Even after that, in some cases, you'll have a long-term relationship with a program that you'll have to separate from because you and your goals change.

Just don't date so shallowly and with so much variety that you end up old, alone, and littered with diseases ;).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom