all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program ideas for a sandbag, kettlebell and weighted calisthenics

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jimdogz00

First Post
First thread here. I’ve done my fair share of barbell throughout the years I’ve lifted (currently 21 and started when I was 17) and to be honest I’ve grown a little bored with it. I just don’t seem to get excited with it anymore . I like the idea of sandbag training because it’s challenging and the centre of mass is always shifting making it even more challenging, kettlebells would be good and different I just don’t know how I would program it. In terms of weighted calisthenics you can’t go wrong with dips and pull ups/chin ups. I’m just not sure how I would program it I want to build strength and I guess with time it will also lead to size gains. Any advice you can guys can provide? Cheers

First thread here. I’ve done my fair share of barbell throughout the years I’ve lifted (currently 21 and started when I was 17) and to be honest I’ve grown a little bored with it. I just don’t seem to get excited with it anymore . I like the idea of sandbag training because it’s challenging and the centre of mass is always shifting making it even more challenging, kettlebells would be good and different I just don’t know how I would program it. In terms of weighted calisthenics you can’t go wrong with dips and pull ups/chin ups. I’m just not sure how I would program it I want to build strength and I guess with time it will also lead to size gains. Any advice you can guys can provide? Cheers

To combine them all without creating your own programming I’d take a look at Mountain Tactical Institute.

My experience with these suggests many calisthenics can be done loaded with sandbag. In the past I used a ABA, BAB strength training with two conditioning days sandwiched between.

For sandbag training, I typically set a volume goal for a certain time period. If I met that goal, I could increase sandbag weight. I typically combined sandbag exercises with weighted calisthenics in that session. Swings were on conditioning days - hill sprints/burpees/short treadmill run and heavy swings.

Just keep in mind sandbags do provide some strength work but for max strength a barbell is superior. After training primarily at home with limited equipment (with sandbags up to 120#), when I went back to barbell work I was far from setting any PRs. I did not lose as much as I thought I would, but I'd say 50-100 pounds off most lifts thus far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom