all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program Ideas for Upcoming New Father

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Congratulations and best of luck with the baby! As others have mentioned, flexibility will be key, not only in when you workout but also how you’ll feel. Patel wrote this program for people doing BJJ, I’ve been using it and have seen good results even while being pretty beat up from rolling. I do this Tuesday and Saturday with heavy 2H swings on Thursday. A few goblet squats before and finish up w some TGUs and dips.
There is a progression past this that you can buy online from the BJJ Fanatics site.

Greetings all. I have viewed this forum for a few years and loved getting tips and tricks from the wealth of knowledge our members have. My wife and I are expecting our first child this fall. I know sleep will be limited and energy will not be as steady or high for me as it currently is. I am in late 20s and have been on a barbell/dumbbell program for a couple of years focusing on strength and hypertrophy, with some history of S&S and Q&D kettlebells interspersed throughout. Goals for me are to maintain/improve athleticism (strength/explosiveness), aesthetics (sub 15% bf and solid base of muscle), and cardio, with long term focus of longevity and vitality. Any program recommendations for this soon to be father? KBs, barbell, BW, or a mix of any are welcome!
@Tony Gracia wrote an article that might be up your alley - "No Time... No Problem!"

If you aren't concerned about a time crunch or want to spend more time training, do whatever you really enjoy doing. I love cleans, presses, pull-ups, and snatches... So most of the time that's what I end up doing.

We are expecting a baby at the begining of the fall too.
I am going to GTG clean & press and double ktb front squat, + 3-4 short sessions of swings weekly. What I think is very important is that the training must be stress free, no big weight, no big volume (, no big sleep ;) ). Pull-ups or dead hang when going to garage.
Last month to push harder with my training, because after li'l girevik is born, I will have infinitely many times more important things to do :)

Father of two… so speaking from experience: Simple or Naked Warrior.
You will miss days so an A/B/A or H/ML routine may be a source of stress.
You will also have little time for going to the gym, setting up equipment etc.

Bodyweight training and running - you can train everywhere and when u have time (= newborn sleeping).
For bodyweight training i like the simplefit routine.

Tactical Barbell
Or even more simple:

Squat - Push - Pull
3 times a week in the time you Can train that day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom