all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program minimum/maximum standards for Bent Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stacy Sigfusson

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello. I'm just wondering about minimum/maximum benchmark standards for the bent press, comparable to Simple and Sinister standards for TGU.

Hello. I'm just wondering about minimum/maximum benchmark standards for the bent press, comparable to Simple and Sinister standards for TGU.

Mmm... I'll give it a try while waiting for @Pavel Macek and other more experienced lifters than myself to answer.

This is an attempt to much TGU Simple "structurally". However, Simple is a combined benchmark for swing & TGU so... I don't know...

Bell size
32kg, same as TGU. A well executed bent press allow for most people to lift more than a TGU. However, it is a more technical lift, calling for higher degree of mobility, stability and mental acuity.

Number of lifts in 10 min
Total of 20 - 10 each side. Much shorter time-under-tension than TGU.

Thank you. That sounds like a reasonable and well-thought out answer. Were you going for an ~ 1:1 work to rest ratio as in Simple & Sinister? The work capacity element (IMHO) makes the standard much more "real-world" applicable.

Were you going for an ~ 1:1 work to rest ratio as in Simple & Sinister? The work capacity element (IMHO) makes the standard much more "real-world" applicable.

Yes, S&S ~1:1 ratio was the aim.

I agree that in any non limit-strength standard work capacity make it more "real". Saxon and Justa talk about it in their writings as well, don't see any reason to doubt their view.

Gentlemen, in my RSAS program, I have following a note: TBD.
I have few ideas, but I haven't decided yet. I am looking forward to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for your input Shahaf and Pavel. Pavel will you still be taking volunteers for RSAS or have you recruited a large enough sample size for your study?

Thanks for your input Shahaf and Pavel. Pavel will you still be taking volunteers for RSAS or have you recruited a large enough sample size for your study?

I just did a small revision of the protocol, and will ask Steve to make a private subforum for victi... volunteers! Here are the pre-requisites:

Are you ready for Royal S&S?

Requirements:

• At least "Simple" standard both for swings and get-ups. Preferably more than “Simple”
  • “You should have the 1-h swing mastered before you attempt frequent and/or high volume snatching with a heavy load.” (Al Ciampa).
  • Preferably ROP/SFG2 press standard - ladies 1/3 bodyweight military press, gentlemen 1/2 bodyweight military press.
  • Excellent overhead shoulder mobility.
  • Excellent snatch & bent press technique.
  • Access to various kettlebell weights.
  • Frequency: Almost daily practice - 3-4 times a week seems ideal, or 1 day on, 1 day off.
  • Consistency and sticking to the training plan for few months.

"simple" 3-5 reps per side with the 36

"sinister" 1 rep per side with the 56

Excelent, I absolutely share this target! Not because I own 56 kg myself, but because it's a real and reachable weight, particularly when you own a good technique. From my experience, the bent press should be at least 50% on the top of your standing press.

Bodyweight bent press 1RM for sinister standard. This is RSAS, Let’s up the game a bit ;)

Or, 70% bodyweight bent press, 10 singles per side in 20 minutes.

For simple, 10 singles per side in 20 minutes with 50% bodyweight.

Few people would struggle getting hold of that sized bell :)

Good targets though.

With practice it should be at least 50% (@rickyw ) added to your one arm press. Anything less than that should be for reps.

Some sources claim it should be equal to or greater than your two hand barbell military press but I never came close to that.
I read an S1 article about progressions with S&S movements and the GU->Low Windmill->High Windmill->Bent Press was given. Does the bent press have greater strength adaptations compared to the GU or just different adaptations?

I read an S1 article about progressions with S&S movements and the GU->Low Windmill->High Windmill->Bent Press was given. Does the bent press have greater strength adaptations compared to the GU or just different adaptations?

Yes and no. The GU has a greater level change and more stability component.

If you do the Bent Press to a squat it is a more complete movement in my opinion. The shoulder stability is maybe not challenged as much as with the GU but core is similar and the BP has more back/lat component.

If you just do the BP to a windmill I'd say they have comparable utility but with slightly different adaptations.

So in general you can usually bent press more than MP?
This is a good time to review the three kettlebell presses - military, side, and bent. The idea is pretty simple - in the military press, you stay still and the weight moves up. In the side press, the weight moves up and you move down by leaning. In the bent press, the weight stays still and you move yourself underneath it before you stand up.

The progression should correspond to max weight as well - military press the least, side press lets you get more, and bent press lets you move the most.

NB: The side press as taught in PTTP is somewhat different than the traditional version. All of these presses are contested, no doubt using a variety of hands, implements, and whatever else, in the All-Around Weight Lifting Association.

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
Do you know if all the kind of presses are equal in terms of tension (on the core, arm, shoulder, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom