all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program Recommendation Needed!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ynvg.nick

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone! This is my first post to SF and wouldn't normally start a post unless I really needed some answers. I am a junior in high school and recently started lifting (past four months) consistently in an attempt to become better at the two sports that I do. Soccer as well as track and field(800m and pole vault). When I first started lifting I just picked some random fitness program, the Greyskull Lp which is basically two alternating days Bench/Squat and Overhead Press/Deadlift with an increment of 2.5lbs for upper body and 5lbs lower body each time. I did this for a bit and have seen modest gains. I did this program because I understood it and was able to complete it relatively quickly after a track or soccer practice without much thought, but now because of the Coronavirus, canceling school and all athletic activities, I have had much more time to research strength and the optimal ways to increase it.

With all of this downtime, it is essentially like a 6-month off-season until soccer and a 12-month off-season to track and I have several hours per day to train. Because these upcoming seasons are going to be my senior seasons, I want them to be the best they can be and that means training efficiently and maximizing my time to perform at my highest level. This caused me to start researching for the best programs and I came across Pavel's two podcasts on youtube and am convinced of his scientific, empirical-based training protocols. This is where I started being confused I am paralyzed as there are so many choices to consider and ways of training that the more hours I spend researching the less time I actually train and improve myself. I have taken countless notes and I just need an honest recommendation of what programs to use in order to become as athletic as possible within 6 and 12 months. In short-

My demographics - 6'3" 170lbs, My current lifts are pretty low and also want to get them up. Bench: 120lbs Squat: 180lbs(restarted as I wasn't going low enough) Overhead Press: 80lbs Deadlift: 160lbs(focusing on technique as it is very hard for me to keep a straight back) Relatively slow runner, Very inflexible - always been like this, always been skinny and weight is harder for me to gain but I am eating more.

Goals - Become as athletic as possible within the 6 months for soccer and 12 months for track season
-Increase stamina and endurance as there is a lot of repetitive sprints and rests within a 90 min match of soccer
-Increase total body strength across all lifts
-Increase speed for middle-distance runs (soccer and 800m dash)
-Increase upper body and ab strength (pole vault)
-Increase flexibility (be able to do basic gymnastic moves, pole vault)

I am fortunate enough to have a squat rack, bench, pull up bar, and a kettlebell so I am capable of doing most programs at home along with pretty much most of the day to do nothing but train. Basically a pro athlete, thanks Covid-19!

I am also willing and probably capable of doing several programs at once because I am much younger than the average person here and can probably recover faster. I am also aware that a bit hypertrophy will be needed because I am skinny but I see that as a positive as long as it comes with the strength.
Each day I will probably be able to do some kettlebell training (S & S?), cardio (treadmill running), do some barbell work(programs for this is what I mainly need a recommendation on), sport-specific training(soccer drills), then end the day with flexibility stretching. This might be too ambitious but it is worth trying as I am focusing on becoming more disciplined during my days. During the week I am also willing to try and train the "slow-twitch" fibers or what Pavel described in his podcast with Tim Ferris as slow, no momentum, no support from bones, burn inducing, 30-60 sec set exercises. He explained the great success this protocol had on athletes but am unsure on how to implement it. Finally, training abs as all I have ever known until Pavel is countless reps and minute-long planks of ab exercises.

I know I may not be the typical SF member or have different goals than most but I am a fan of the SF philosophy and Pavel's work on strength and training. Thank you to everyone that reads this post and responds!

Appreciate your detailed explanation..

Why not grab a copy of reloaded and then s and s on recovery days??

Great introductory post! You've got a good focus and a rare opportunity with time and equipment available.

I know this isn't a very complete reply, but a few thoughts/questions:
  • You can only do so much training volume, but with a lot of time on your hands you could really focus your time and training on exercises with a high skill component. Kettlebell lifts, barbell strength technique, barbell quick lifts/weightlifting/Oly lifting. Does any of that particularly interest you? You can't do it all, but you could make a lot of progress in one area, while using it to further your physical training goals at the same time.
  • Have you thought about hiring a coach if it is within your resources? Could really help with the whole picture of nutrition, short and long-term programming, technique, and progression.
  • Do you do barbell power cleans?

If it were me at that age with those sports and goals:

Mon: Reload (Squat and Bench Press)​
Tue: A+A Snatches​
Wed: Threshold Run​
Thur: Reload (Bench Press and Deadlift)​
Fri: Q&D Sprints (10/2 timing)​
Sat: Threshold Run​
Sun: Off​

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re you still able to add weight to the bar every week? If so you could stick with the a program like starting strength. And move to reloaded after

I have some expr with soccer, so i think i could speak a bit. Not pro, but i always tried use strength training to improve my game.
Something i highly recommend:

Swing. Both one arm and two arm. Single bell, not double. It teaches you switch between relax and tension quickly, that is very important in soccer. We constantly need to make desicion, and no good decision could be made when you are always tense.

Farmer walk, or suitcase walk: the ablity to "shield the ball" - i don't know how to explain in English, this is not my mother language. But someone play American football find it helpful, then soccer players get same benefit too. I like farmer walk with different weight in each hand - has both benefit of normal farmer walk and suitcase walk.

Clean: I perfer double clean. Same reasons for farmer walk. It teaches you how to absorb the force quickly.

Something for the akle. Probably jump rope.

My position was central back, which requires lots of short burst, banging (is that right word?) and jumping. And i was quite strong in the upper body compare to other players. A bit of information so you can understand my choice.

My training could be like this.
4 time per week: swing. With one day harder. Some people recommend 3 days, but because i tend to use low volume on swing (50 - 70 reps), i can sneak out one more. The harder day i use 15-25 reps per set.
Farmer walk: 2 season, 15 mins. I workout in my apartment, so i don't count distance.
Upper body push: 2 seasons. I take it easy
Also, i run one time per week, i find out that i need to run a bit to transfer my strength the game. I keep it easy. 30 minutes running, then walk back. So it takes about nearly one hour and 30 minutes.

If you familliar with Pavel/RKC/Strongfist work, you will know that he recommend some easy walk/shadow boxing ...between sets of swing to lower your heartbeat. I usually juggle ball/light dribble between sets.

People already recommend awesome program above. If you like my idea, you can also break it and take it piece and put to others. Let say you do Reload, you can choose Swing and double clean for SV. I think it could be fine.

Hope this help.

Hard to program without knowing or have worked with you. If you have a strength coach I would reach out to them if possible. Also when this is over as mentioned might be worth while looking into working with a s&c coach in person if resources allow it. Here is a good starting point in mint opinion and you can find exercises on YouTube. Hope it helps l?

Two days a week

Wk1 wk2 wk3

Day 1
KB swing 5x10
Alt deadbug 5x5/ea
Rest 1 min

Bench press wk1 3x8 wk2 3x10 wk3 3x12
Front rack split squat wk1 3x8 wk2 3x10 wk3 3x12
Anti rot press 3x10/ea

ex: bench 3x8 first set warm up second set medium weight third set hard but all reps were accomplished with great form
Day 2
Barbell jumps 5x5
Toe touch squat 5x5
Lateral bound and stick 5x3/ea
1min rest
Chin ups wk1 3x4 wk2 3x6 wk3 3x8
Barbell hip lift wk1 3x8 wk2 3x10 wk3 3x12
Side plank x30s/ea

Day 3 tempo sprints run 50 yards at about 65% walk 50yds backward run 50 yards 100% walk 50 wk1 6/ea wk2 8/ea wk310/ea

Day 4 shuttle runs down and back 50 yds using a cross over sprint explode out of the start and transition and glide at 65% rest of way wk1 x4 wk2 x6 wk3x8 2-4 min rest between sets

The conditioning can be done at end of lifts or separate days

Hey Nick welcome to SF.
Already great suggestions above. Thought i will give my two cents about this topic as im playing soccer too and also do some strength training according to SF principles since several years now.
-Regarding the barbell work: was not really helpful too me. Felt not much stronger in the game and made me stiff and more prone to injury. But this might only be the case for me and is subjective. Also i dont think the Bench Press is a good choice for a soccer athlete. Working on pushup and one-arm pushups might be a better choice as you are working more on body tension.
-Programming: I think the Easy strength Programm would fit you really well at the moment. Im also doing this at the moment working on these 5 exercises:
-OAPU
-Pullups
-Pistol (Slow-Twitch Protocol)
-Swing/deadlift/Power clean
-HLR/Abroll
So you can work on strength and will not gain too much body mass. (You will gain some muscle though) Thats another thing i would watch carefully. Thats my morning Session then in the afternoon i work on sprints/skill/endurance as follows:
Mo/Wed/Fr: Sprints/Shuffle sprints: A+A/AGT/Q&D
Tu/Th: Swings: A+A/Q&D
Aftwards some easy runs or skill practice. You can even split this further into morning/lunch/evening.
I think the greatest impact on endurance and power i got was from the hill sprints in Q&D/A+A style with easy running afterwards.
I also implemented the slow twitch protocol you mentioned in the easy strength regime. Be sure to leave enough time between the ST session and your explosive work. (The ST protocol is only performed two times per week as outlined in the article) It would Be best to do your explosive Session before your ST Session.
For the Q/D and A+A Session i vary between 5s and 10s sprints and also alternate between Q/D and A+A.
So thats about it. This is of course only for the off-season. In in-season you might only do easy strength or S&S which i have also used already in in-season and felt fresh and strong for every training/game.
Hope thats help!
Have fun and Power to you on your journey!

Growing up in England where we call it football I know a thing or 2 about playing football.

I also know a thing or 2 about running too.

I would advise an easy run at a conversational pace Monday to Friday. Starting at 30 minutes a day and slowly I creasing your time to 60 minutes.

A long run on Saturday starting at 60 minutes and slowly building up to 120 minutes

S&S at least 3 times a week. I truly beleive that swings are one of the best and simplistic movements in existence. Also the get ups have a big bang for your buck too. Explosive power, aerobic capacity, muscular endurance, dynamic core strength and many other benefits can be gained from this very simple but effective program.

Sprint work. A hill session a week and a track session a week (if your track is closed at the moment then fartlek run). For your hill session find a good hill and do 8-10 sprints on week 1, 10-12 week 2 and 12-14 on week 3. For tracks start with 12 sets of 100m at 20 seconds faster than your 800m PB. Then 12×200m and then 12×300m. Walk down the hill/100m/200m/300m etc. For your track work after 400m taper down the working sets as the distance increases week to week. For a fartlek swap between your easy pace and then hit a sub maximal but fast 800m section. Drop back down to your easy run pace until you feel FULLY recovered and then repeat 5 more times.

In addition one of the bodyweight courses will help to build up muscular endurance without too much extra bulk.

Xtraining to be added if your joints start to get beat up. Swap your running sessions for cycling. The only caveat for the monostructured sessions is you would double the time spent cycling.

Additional notes -

Technique when running, ensure you are using a mid foot strike for your slower runs to avoid injury.

Stretch your hip flexors, hamstrings, calves and tibs after EVERY run without fail and even numerous time a day if you are feeling tight.

Hydration is critical. This doesn't just go for your water intake but also things like your salt, potassium, magnesium etc. Salt your food and eat plenty of fruit and veg.

Do not get so caught up on getting a big squat, deadlift, bench, press etc. There will be a point where it would be helpful and then it will just become a hindrance.

Every 4th week do a deload week where you cut all your intensity runs and your long runs. Start from week 1 afterwards with everything back your track sessions.

Keep the different types of training sessions 6 hours apart so you don't create conflicting adaptations. However not doing so will not stop you from making gains.

In your case I would find a local coach. Specifically try to find a StrongFirst coach...
Technique will be the biggest concern, more so than programming.

From there they could do some really good things with you.

As you develop a program - let each of your coaches know the details of your plans!!!
cross communication is important!!! especially with your central coach!

Simplified programming? 6 week blocks
no BB work simply because there's only so much time and energy, even for an athletic kid.

Block 1
S&S 3 days Mon Thurs Sat
800M sprint routine from your track coach 2 days /week Tues Fri
every day 1hr soccer skill - keep it fun and light. Speak to your soccer coach
rest on Wed and Sun

Block2
front lever progressions 2-3 sets done first thing in the morning
NW - GTG Pistols and One Arm Pushups
Tabata sprints Tues+Fri (not more than twice a week) you can do this just before you soccer skill practice.
every day 1hr soccer skill - keep it fun and light. Speak to your soccer coach
rest on the weekends

Not listed here - Pole Vaulting work (I don't know it at all, but recognize it's highly technical)
you should dedicate 1-2 session per week with your vaulting coach.

regardless, keep a training log
review what you wrote down once a week. Make sure you keep feeling alive, progress, pain free.
tired means you need 1-2 days rest.
stalled progress means 1 week rest
pain means you need to stop and rehab. It also means you ignored the other two signs...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom