all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program recommendations for my fun girlfriend

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Squatch

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all!

With the new year comes new goals and resolutions, and I was excited to see "get stronger" on my girlfriend's list. I became a kettlebell proselytizer when I began my practice at the beginning of covid lockdown, so naturally my immediate reaction to her 2021 goal of strength building was to shove Simple and Sinister in her face. She has a vibrant, exploratory, spontaneous personality, which lends well to many things, but unfortunately routine/discipline, etc. feels stifling to her. Consistency is something she wants to grow in, but the idea of doing the same thing every single day for a workout is pretty daunting. If something is to be done consistently, it should be enjoyable, right?

So there's the crux; she enjoys diversity and novelty in her workouts, but to be effective in strength building, one must be consistent, and to sustain that consistency, there needs to be enjoyment. Max effectiveness and max fun.

I know the StrongFirst community has been accused of sucking the fun out of strength building (and is proud of it), but if there are any kindred spirits out there who have a similar aversion to day-in-day-out routine, any programming recommendations or S&S modifications would be greatly appreciated. She would need to start pretty basic, as she has minimal weightlifting experience. Thanks!

Try Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell WOD. It starts very basic. It's five days per week, and the sessions are 15 minutes. This program incorporates all of the Kettlebell movements, but it does so as if to teach a beginner. The program eventually goes from single to double KB movements. I'm a newbie, and I'm now in week 16. I think it's the next best step after starting with S&S.

There are lots of great new live and virtual offerings now for kettlebell training. A class environment and encouragement without ever leaving home! Here is one I recommend, from SFG II Ericka Darst @Ericka (EDK):

I came by to also recommend Kettlebell W.O.D. It has a ton of variety. It also works up from single kettlebell work into double kettlebell work. Double Kettlebell work being an incredible way to build strength. It is just over a full year of specifically designed work outs. 53 weeks.
-DC

Hello all!

With the new year comes new goals and resolutions, and I was excited to see "get stronger" on my girlfriend's list. I became a kettlebell proselytizer when I began my practice at the beginning of covid lockdown, so naturally my immediate reaction to her 2021 goal of strength building was to shove Simple and Sinister in her face. She has a vibrant, exploratory, spontaneous personality, which lends well to many things, but unfortunately routine/discipline, etc. feels stifling to her. Consistency is something she wants to grow in, but the idea of doing the same thing every single day for a workout is pretty daunting. If something is to be done consistently, it should be enjoyable, right?

So there's the crux; she enjoys diversity and novelty in her workouts, but to be effective in strength building, one must be consistent, and to sustain that consistency, there needs to be enjoyment. Max effectiveness and max fun.

I know the StrongFirst community has been accused of sucking the fun out of strength building (and is proud of it), but if there are any kindred spirits out there who have a similar aversion to day-in-day-out routine, any programming recommendations or S&S modifications would be greatly appreciated. She would need to start pretty basic, as she has minimal weightlifting experience. Thanks!
Similar story here with my wife, who already trains with a professional coach, so she's actually more accomplished than I am in lifting weights. She thinks my kettlebell stuff is not to her taste at all.

But, your point about variety being a selling point might be an idea for Strong First. Maybe Strong First should put together a jack of all trades type workout method but keeping aligned with its principles.

Having said that, there are workouts hidden on the site here and there that are indeed meant to appeal to those wanting variety. One of them is called "The Works" for instance.

This is why I'd like there to be a page on the site with a simple list of a lot of different 'approved' workouts.

KBWOD is a good resource for sure..

If you want something a little more structured but still fun, I'd recommend grabbing either KB365 or KSIC from Geoff

Is anyone else thinking of Pavel's guidelines in The Russian Kettlebell Challenge? I'm a free spirited type, and those guidelines looked like lots of fun to me.

Still on S&S though.

Thanks for the recommendations!

She's still reading through the first section of S&S, but now she's got a bunch of alternatives if she doesn't find it all that appealing. I think strength training in general was pretty intimidating as well (conjuring images of 3 hour bodybuilding workouts), but she was pleasantly surprised to hear that a lot of effective strength programs only call for 15-30 minutes of training per session.

There are lots of great new live and virtual offerings now for kettlebell training. A class environment and encouragement without ever leaving home! Here is one I recommend, from SFG II Ericka Darst @Ericka (EDK):

I like the idea of her getting professional training too. That may be something she goes with as well. The online aspect makes it tough to feel like a real "class environment" though, but it may be something she's interested in for a couple sessions. Thanks for the input!

I think I'll advise her to stick with S&S 1-3 sessions per week for a month or so, just to really nail down the two hand swing, then see if she would like to branch out with something with more variety, like KBWOD or GNWOD. If you've got any links to these programs, that would be greatly appreciated. I can find people talking about these programs, but I can't find the actual program itself.

Now I've just got to keep my mouth shut, try to not overwhelm her, and let her make her own decision. Plus I've got my own training to worry about.

like KBWOD or GNWOD. If you've got any links to these programs, that would be greatly appreciated. I can find people talking about these programs, but I can't find the actual program itself.

As near as I can tell, KBWOD and GNWOD are the same thing. Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell WOD program. You'll likely be hard-pressed to find it (I've never tried) other than at link and pay for it. It's #10. I'm personally not familiar with (i.e., I haven't bought it, though I'm thinking about it for my wife and teenage daughters....though don't want to apply......pressure ?? ) the program other than that it's a year long progression of pretty short sessions, and that they start pretty tame.

I will say I'm working through some other of his proprietary work (that I DID fork out for) and have found it money well spent.

Hello all!

Hey, is your profile poster before or after S&S?

If you go to the second thread on this page, Goeff Neupert's Legacy Collection, you can click on the link within. From there you can scroll down and be able to email Geoff. He is an awesome guy. He always has some type of special going on. So, if you buy KBWOD, you'll likely find yourself with a deal on something else later down the road.

Geoff Neupert's stuff looks like it would be a really good option, but I think she would probably shy away from the price tag. Especially since she has opted out of other fitness stuff for price, and you can't just buy the KBWOD programming by itself. Later down the road when I feel like I'm ready to work more complex movements into my own training or do double kettlebell stuff, that may be something I buy myself and she could use too. But I'll for sure show her KBWOD as a good option.

Hey, is your profile poster before or after S&S?
Definitely before. That's when I still had hair.

Geoff Neupert's stuff looks like it would be a really good option, but I think she would probably shy away from the price tag. Especially since she has opted out of other fitness stuff for price, and you can't just buy the KBWOD programming by itself. Later down the road when I feel like I'm ready to work more complex movements into my own training or do double kettlebell stuff, that may be something I buy myself and she could use too. But I'll for sure show her KBWOD as a good option.

Yeah, me too. I lost almost all my hair too. I wasn't as hairy as you were though to begin with. I actually mainly lost hair on the top of my head. But I don't imagine you lost all your hair though. Still, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you are "remarkably hairy". Is it sort of a genetic trait or something like that?
Like, how dramatic was your hair loss from S&S? Like, I did lose hair, but I wasn't, like, you know "totally covered" in hair to begin with.

The whole package goes on sale for $150 from time to time. "Strong!" itself is (in my opinion) worth $100 (though I purchased that on its own through SF, so haven't worked my way up to springing for the Legacy Collection yet; maybe next time it goes on sale, just so I can get KBWOD for my wife).

Sometimes Geoff offers sales on other products if you have previously purchased something else. After you buy something, you are then on his newsletter. He will also offer some free programs, as well.

There are plenty of kettlebell programs out there, and many are free. I haven't thought twice about the money I spent on the Legacy Collection. There is just so much useful information.

Going to break a trend here... but getting strong doesn’t necessarily have to involve a kettlebell or a set program. Sorry, it’s a fact. Consistent use of resistance yes.
So... how about body weight work? Handstands are still StrongFirst enough... learning OAPUs is fun (maybe not in the repetitive SF way for all though). Allocate an exercise to a dice number. Could be KB, could be body weight. Roll dice, practice that one for the day. Utterly random. How about sports? Kayaking and paddle boarding are popular, they’ll get you/her strong. You never paddle the same river twice, that’s how water works.
Just because you/we like S&S, doesn’t mean she has to. Just play. The resolution is get stronger, not get StrongFirst. Better something than nothing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom