all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program suggestions post Tommy John surgery

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bill5xc

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm going to be getting a essentially a tommy John surgery in June, and I'd like to keep working on myself during the recovery period, but I honestly have no idea how to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm going to be getting a essentially a tommy John surgery in June, and I'd like to keep working on myself during the recovery period, but I honestly have no idea how to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many surgeons do recommend occupational or physical therapy after this type of procedure. Has your surgeon discussed this option for you? I would strongly encourage that you speak with the surgeon and/or a Sports Medicine clinician to discuss.

+1 to speaking with PTs and sports docs.

My additional two cents:
-Make sure they know what activities you want to get back to (e.g. lifting, sports, etc). When I had shoulder surgery a handful of years back, I asked the surgeon what the recovery time would be. He said, "12 weeks to full activity." What he should have said, was "12 weeks to lifting a 5 lb dumbbell." I wanted to get back to gymnastic strength training. It was a good two years before I stopped having residual soreness and discomfort.

So I am a big advocate of pushing for information and clarity from your surgeons, doctors, and physical therapists. Make sure they know what your goals are, and make sure you find someone to help you get there.

Outside of that: there is no harm in training the non-injured arm. Studies have shown that training only one limb results in strength gains in the untrained limb (though slightly lower), so it may even help you come back to pre-surgery strength faster once you're healed up. You can do legs of course, and core work that doesn't involve the recovering limb. The biggest thing is to make sure you don't involve the recovering limb too much in any way that might hinder its recovery. That's a question for a physical therapist :)

Hope it helps, happy healing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom