all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program that work with running

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
I went for a run last week for the first time in a long time and really enjoyed it, keeping HR under MAF.
I know the obvious is S&S which ive been doing this week but i want something to include some pressing, i like the armour building complex but its more focused on the squats which im not sure will work well with running

Is there any minimalist clean & press programs out there?

I was going to start the giant 1.0 this week but not sure I'll be able to maintain both as the running needs some getting used to

I'm doing swings and presses and easy running. Not a programme as such. Waved swings, waved presses to get to 5x5. Park bench style. Do what I feel to tick over sort of thing.
Did etk as a newbie and had an easy run and one longer easy run each week. Used as marathon prep. Then switched to long run and 400 interval for pace. And then it was bodyweight stuff as i remember.
All good.

@Gary Wilson
It sort of depends upon what you mean by running.
I think most strength programmes work with running, as long as you don’t get carried away. If you are training for ultra’s then... not.
Check in with @Sauli for pressing (and he runs as well)

S&S like you mentioned, works very well.

What are you trying to achieve?

Not trying to achieve anything really, just do what i enjoy at the time.
At the moment im getting back into running, 5k tops and its hard work at the moment
Im aiming for a short run during the week and and 5k at the weekend, plus 3 days strength training.

S&S works well i just find it boring and much prefer some double clean and presses.

Ive just fisnished DFW and don't think i could have done any running along with that!

Last edited:
The new StrongFirst program on bjjfanatics.com is like S&S 3.0 then rolls into LCCJ, and it is designed to be run alongside someone that grapples frequently and doesn't want to blow all their aerobic/skill time on weight training. You may find that to be a good program for your needs even if you don't grapple, as there really is nothing in it that is specialized for grapplers other than time investment and move selection.

If you run 2-3 times a week It does not matter that much what you do in lifting, but If you run 1-2 times a week you want to do something which helps your running... things like swings and snatches. I think that s&s and q&d are good choices for runner. For me I have noticed that pure strength training does not keep my running alive If I do not run, but ballistics do.

Hello,

@Gary Wilson
Red Zone can be an option.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think that amount of running will work with every strongfirst program i can think of! In some cases the running will even help (as active recovery, some additional aerobic capacity etc)

Not trying to achieve anything really, just do what i enjoy at the time.
At the moment im getting back into running, 5k tops and its hard work at the moment
Im aiming for a short run during the week and and 5k at the weekend, plus 3 days strength training.

S&S works well i just find it boring and much prefer some double clean and presses.

Ive just fisnished DFW and don't think i could have done any running along with that!
Well... not to sound glib... but if you aren’t trying to achieve anything, then it really doesn‘t matter much what you do.
Like you said... do what you enjoy... everything will be just fine...

I do a lot of barbell deadlifts too before my main KB sets. Deadlifts are amazing for runners - as a protective excercise as well - strengthening your whole back body, and creating overall strength and tension awareness. I deadlift year round, cycling through various programs. My running suffers when I’m building to the TSC and a RM for instance but comes back quickly when I back off. I do programs with KB cleans and presses too. I love swings, snatches and S and S and these programs have helped me build strength and maintain my conditioning so I can run less mileage (which is hard on the body) but still feel awesome when I run. I would say DL and swings and snatches have also made me a beast uphills!

Pavel came up with Red Zone, which is where you do either military or clean and press, alternating hands until you get to 50 reps total, then you do your 100 swings like in S&S and other programmes, and then you do another 50 reps of presses.

Running or walking should be done by everyone. Either it is part of your typical day getting around town, or it's something that should be programmed in somehow. We are made to walk and to run. If we let our natural muscles atrophy, this cannot be good for us.

Last edited:
Since you like S & S why not spice it up with some presses? If you do the reverse getups with the hand change at the top you can come out of the flying hand change and bring the bell down to kiss the ground in position for an immediate clean and press, then repeat that: kiss, clean, press, as many times as you want before taking it from the top into the rest of the get down. You can borrow 20 seconds from each getdown and add in 5 clean and presses at 4 seconds each. That would add 50 presses and still let you stay under tension the entire 10 minutes. It also forces a faster pace for the rest of the getdown for an extra cardio kick. It would even be easy to slip a bell swap in there to use different weights for the press set and the getdowns. I am going to give this a try tomorrow. I think this might become my new default getdown. I like the idea of slipping some extra presses in every day.

Hello,

Without necessarily aiming for half marathon, here are two articles with guidelines:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks, some good suggestions for me to look into

I feel i need to keep swings as they definitely help

Im thinking i might do the giant 1.0 as planned but for 20mins instead of the 30 and finish it with 10x10 swings

Ive just been reading the moving target workout too, looks like it could be a good 3 day option in the future to go along side running, not too demanding, 32 reps of clean press squats
Might give thatxa go forca few weeks soon too

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom