all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Program, training with bodyweight only.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Luigib

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello, I am currently a little lost with many training suggestions and content that can be found everywhere. And I'm currently looking for some workout or bodyweight training ideas to gain muscle and strength. And I wanted to know if Pavel's book "Beyond Bodybuilding" was a good book for getting programming ideas? I am 23 years old, a few years in training, no injuries, and I am 64kg. Sincerely, Luigi Baumann.

Hello, I am currently a little lost with many training suggestions and content that can be found everywhere. And I'm currently looking for some workout or bodyweight training ideas to gain muscle and strength. And I wanted to know if Pavel's book "Beyond Bodybuilding" was a good book for getting programming ideas? I am 23 years old, a few years in training, no injuries, and I am 64kg. Sincerely, Luigi Baumann.
Depends a little on what you are looking for.

Beyond bodybuilding is a great book, but probably not for your purposes, as it is a collection of essays, often dealing with barbell training.

Check out "Naked Warrior" by Pavel, which has three main components:
a) StrongFirst principles of tension/hardstyle/irradiation
b) Grease the Groove training (frequent sets throughout the day with about half of the reps you are capable of)
c) Getting strong with one-arm-pushups and pistol squats.

The principles are really good, even if you don't plan on using the two bodyweight exercises.

Additionally, I guess the Kavadlo brothers' book mentioned by @apa seems to be a sensible program.

And, of course, the StrongFirst bodyweight course could be a great start for technique pointers. (I don't know if it includes programming.)

Hi, thank you both. I own both books, I follow Al and Danny's Get Strong program, only I get stuck with the wall handstands, I have a hard time. And so I'm looking for a way to find out if I can remove them to practice just the basics for now, or what other alternatives would there be for this move?
And yes I plan to participate in strongfirst bodyweight training in France. And would the online SFB pre-training bodyweight program be good?
Luigi.

Hi, thank you both. I own both books, I follow Al and Danny's Get Strong program, only I get stuck with the wall handstands, I have a hard time. And so I'm looking for a way to find out if I can remove them to practice just the basics for now, or what other alternatives would there be for this move?
And yes I plan to participate in strongfirst bodyweight training in France. And would the online SFB pre-training bodyweight program be good?
Luigi.
Well, a really good resource for ideas on how to structure your training is @Geoff Neupert 's "Strength Shortcuts 2.0". Maybe one of the sample routines would work for you.

Luigi.
On the handstands, in what way do you get stuck?

I think Al or Danny would tell you that if something in the program doesn't work for you feel free to modify it. At least that's what they told me.

Hi Luigi,

Building strength and muscle with bodyweight training works great. You have to understand however that there isn't a perfect 'secret' method/training schedule to build you faster and easier than other programs. Consistency is key for al types of training (barbell/kettlebell/ bodyweight). You can gain a lot by keeping it simple but high in sets/reps on a frequent basis (5-7 days a week). A good proven method:
  • Day1: Pull (5-10 sets of pull ups)
  • Day2: Push (5-10 sets of push ups or dips)
  • Day3: Squat (5-10 sets of squats or lunges)
  • Day4: Lift/Overhead (5-10 sets of kb clean and presses or swings + presses or (if pure bodyweight) backbridges + handstand push ups)
  • Repeat
Embrace high reps; take between 90sec - 3min rest between sets; take a rest day when needed but aim for at least 5 training days a week; Fit in some core work (sit ups/leg raises/plank/...) when you feel like it (try for 2-3 times/week and shoot for a total of about 100 reps/session). If you want some extra cardio, end your workouts with a run/bicycle or some burpees for a few minutes.

Just remember, whatever program you want to follow, consistency is the most important of all.

Thank you very much @Dries S , you say at least 5 times a week a style of program like the one you are showing me, but it has 4 days, so I choose a skill that I prefer to do twice a week for example?
Or if not putting all these exos in the same training 3-4 times a week would be an idea?
Sincerely, Luigi.

Thank you very much @Dries S , you say at least 5 times a week a style of program like the one you are showing me, but it has 4 days, so I choose a skill that I prefer to do twice a week for example?
Or if not putting all these exos in the same training 3-4 times a week would be an idea?
Sincerely, Luigi.
No, those are just 4 types of movement you should/could focus on (Pull/Push/Squat/Lift). After day 4, you just start again with a pull day and so on.
I wouldn't combine to much on a single training day. Just go hard on a (different) single movement each day.
Example of a Pull-day could be:
  • Warm up: some jumping jacks/jumping rope ; some squats ; some push ups ; some rows/pull ups
    Nothing heavy, just keep a good pace and get warm
  • Workout: 8 sets of maximum pull ups (no complete failure, end your sets strong)
  • Core: 100 sit ups in as few sets as possible (could be: 30,20,20,15,15)
  • Conditioning: 50 burpees as fast as possible

If I buy Karen Smith's pull-up program and add push-ups, Hanging Leg Raise, squats and lunge to body weights, can that be a good idea? What do you think ?
Luigi.

If I buy Karen Smith's pull-up program and add push-ups, Hanging Leg Raise, squats and lunge to body weights, can that be a good idea? What do you think ?
Luigi.
Sure, that's also possible. You can do whatever you want. I don't know what you can do now and what it is you seek in your training, but just beware of always looking for a new/'better' program. If you want to go for mass and strength, keep it simple and be consistent. Do the work everyday and the results will come. For overall body development, make sure you include the 4 movement patterns: pull/push/squat/hinge. Pick a program and stick to it for 3-4 months and always aim for progression (more reps/sets/less rest). Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
@Dries S Thank you very much for all your advice, it's very cool! And yes, precisely I got lost in always wanting, better or more as you say. And I'm looking for the minimalist! So that helps me a lot, thanks again. Luigi

@Dries S Thank you very much for all your advice, it's very cool! And yes, precisely I got lost in always wanting, better or more as you say. And I'm looking for the minimalist! So that helps me a lot, thanks again. Luigi
You're very welcome! I've done the same for many years. Always reading and looking for the one special program which would have the magical formula for super fast gains in strength and muscle. There simply isn't one...
Just 30 to 45 minutes of hard work everyday, that's not the most spectacular/revolutionary program ever, but that's the one that will work, and it's doable! Everyone can fit in half an hour for a workout even on a busy schedule. So that's pretty minimalistic on its own.

There are many options when it comes to Bodyweight training. I try to keep it fairly simple (not easy) by picking just a few skills to master and build pure strength.
I have a new Bodyweight program ebook coming out next month that will focus on:
-OAPU
-Lower body strength including pistols
-Core strength skills
And Bodyweight conditioning that could also be replaced with kettlebell conditioning if desired.
If interested you can add yourself to the waitlist at

Just remember higher strength Bodyweight skills fatigue your CNS, so proceed with lower volume to start.

I discovered the Free Start Bodyweight Basic Routine program, and wanted to know if anyone had used it and had advanced with it? So I would like to know compared to Convict Conditioning programs revisiting style going with 3 × 10 and changing stages, the Get Strong program and the basic routine, what would be the "best" program to advance in calhistenia, for the muscle and the strength? If there are people who have tried and have answers, I'm in favor! Thank you very much, Luigib.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom