all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Program using only one arm

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ronnymuk

First Post
Hi all. I had bicep tendon repair surgery (at the elbow) around a month ago. As a result I currently can't currently do exercises which require two hands. For example - two handed swings, two handed barbell exercises, etc are all out (probably for a couple of months).

I'm trying to devise a balanced workout plan for the next couple of months but am struggling. I have experience with Simple and Sinister and basic Barbell training programs and so on. I enjoy barbell and kettlebell training the most but appreciate that I will need to mix it up now. My goals are primarily good health and energy. I can train for around 45 mins daily. I have access to quite a lot of equipment including barbells and kettlebells. I just purchased a 20kg weight vest to help me but now realise I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.

Can anyone provide any suggestions for a balanced (as balanced as is possible) program to do for the next few weeks?

Many thanks

For the time being, anything that maintains strength in the non-injured arm will be helpful. There have been studies showing that training only one limb results in a percentage of strength gains in the untrained limb, so there’s that. Really, if health and energy are your focus while healing, you can stick with mostly lower body work, and maintain strength in the non injured arm.

When I had shoulder surgery, I did a LOT of Hindu squats, pistols, etc.

If you are able to safely and comfortably clean a kettlebell with the non injured arm, meaning keeping the injured arm safe, then there’s a lot to be done there: presses, carries, front squats etc….

I would use the weight vest to perform the bulk of your lower body work if holding a barbell on your back is out of the question for a while. Simply do a little higher rep range, and choose more unilateral variations (lunges, split squats, etc).

For hinge, you could try one hand swings, or you could rig a strap to perform swings or deadlifts sort of like this. I would start light to be safe though ;) :

For core do hollow holds or rocks. You can keep the healing arm safer that way. Probably no harm doing one arm planks either.

Hope that sparks some ideas. Just keep the healing arm from getting too involved so it actually heals up. Rehab for the bicep, training for the rest. Once the bicep is back to the point you are cleared to train with it, slowly get it as strong as the other arm. Don’t be in a rush. Good luck and happy healing!

I had the same surgery in August. I used the Total Tension template for the healthy side then added things approved by my physical therapist. I started KB Easy Strength in December and will start S&S in February. Be patient and good luck!

Thanks all, very helpful advice. I actually had the idea from somewhere that training the good side would cause "imbalances", which I can see now isn't correct.

My plan is broadly speaking:
  • Alternate between lower body (including pistol squat progression) and upper body (good side clean and press)
  • Work in core (hollow body, etc) and hinge (good side swings)
  • Be patient and kind to myself (this is challenging!)

Not necessarily advice, but my experience:

While recovering from shoulder surgery (I tore my rotator cuff playing basketball), I did a few months of pretty intensive training, mainly A+A snatches, on only one side. I basically did the same volume I would normally do, but with only one arm instead of split between arms.

My injured shoulder was my non-dominant side, so I was doing all the training on the side that was already stronger.

There were absolutely no negative consequences of doing this. During my recovery, the surgical side had a lot of atrophy, but once I was cleared to train normally it quickly regained size and strength and caught up to my dominant side (within my normal range of difference between dominant and non-dominant). I strongly believe that the unilateral training actually helped the recovery of the injured side.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom