all posts post new thread

Barbell Program while cutting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SethRen

Level 4 Valued Member
just wanted some thoughts. I'm currently 200lbs at about 18% body fat. Looking to drop 20 pounds by the new year

Program:

Incline bench(1RM is 275) 5,3,2 5 days a week
Daily dose dead(1RM 440) 5 days a week
half hour of light cardio(walking)

Is this too little volume? I'm afraid I'll lost too much muscle mass.

No, a minimalist strength program is ideal enduring weight loss.

Include some walking or swings or conditioning training as well?
I did plan on daily walking. I thought a low volume strength program would be optimal for a cut?

Last edited:
@SethRen

I'm in the same situation as you and I have the same goal. I've become too heavy and want to lean out some, as well as work on strength and conditioning (general GPP). I'm currently about 235 lb. I would like to drop below 220 lb so that when I conduct my hobby, powerlifting, in 2020, I'll be in a lower weight class (and I think being lighter will be healthier). My long term goal (1-3 years, probably closer to 3 vs 1), is to accomplish an elite raw powerlifting total (wilkes ~450) without compromising my health.

Here is my current, offseason (from powerlifting) training approach, I'm not sure it is optimal, but so far so good (I'm in week #3):

Alright, 1+ week in and it's going well so far. Every once in a while Ill post with results. But here is a summary of the program:

Saturday --> (1) Barbell Pause Squats 3x5, 1 top set, (2) Barbell Pause Deadlifts 3x5, 1 top set, (3) Barbell floor press 3x5, 1 top set, (4) A&A snatches, (5) Stir the pot

Sunday --> (1) Planet Fitness bodybuilding stuff. Machines and dumb bells, 3x10. Very light weights. Full body isolation excersises but lots of emphasis on triceps. Including Stir the pots. (2) Later in the day, Long walk, 1 hrs +, with weighted vest

Tuesday --> A&A snatches

Wednesday or Thursday --> (1) McGill pull ups 5sx2r, (2) Barbell shrugs 3sx10r, (3) goblet squats 3x10, (4) 1 leg kbell good mornings 3x10, 1 arm kbell (bottoms up) uneven bench press 3x10, (5) A&A snatches, (6) Heavy Sandbag carries or farmers walks, (7) Stir the pot

Every Day --> short walk, half the time with a weight vest.

Note I do a lot of work on the weekends. This is by design since I have more free time.

I have this as a 4 day per week workout program. Sometimes I may separate the A&A snatches from the other stuff (not do it in the same day) and add more training days (but they will be easier/shorter days). Same amount of work, just spread out over more days.

For nutrition I am following the Vertical Diet, focusing on real food. I am carefully conducting a DOE (design of experiment) with my food intake to really understand what is optimal for me. I am spending more time on my nutrition than my training.

Hopefully this helps give you some ideas.

@SethRen

I'm in the same situation as you and I have the same goal. I've become too heavy and want to lean out some, as well as work on strength and conditioning (general GPP). I'm currently about 235 lb. I would like to drop below 220 lb so that when I conduct my hobby, powerlifting, in 2020, I'll be in a lower weight class (and I think being lighter will be healthier). My long term goal (1-3 years, probably closer to 3 vs 1), is to accomplish an elite raw powerlifting total (wilkes ~450) without compromising my health.

Here is my current, offseason (from powerlifting) training approach, I'm not sure it is optimal, but so far so good (I'm in week #3):

For nutrition I am following the Vertical Diet, focusing on real food. I am carefully conducting a DOE (design of experiment) with my food intake to really understand what is optimal for me. I am spending more time on my nutrition than my training.

It's funny you mentioned the weighted vest. I just bought one. It's a bitch walking around with 80lbs latched on to ya.

@SethRen

good luck with that wilkes score...that would be a great accomplishment .

It's funny you mentioned the weighted vest. I just bought one. It's a bitch walking around with 80lbs latched on to ya.

Yes it is! My vest weighs 65 or 75 lb I think. Just start slow. You eventually get used to it. I can really motor, now, with that thing on. Sometimes, if I really want to walk with load, I carry around a 125 lb sandbag on my shoulders. It is really awkward. I can only walk about 5 minutes before I must put the bag down to catch my breath and give my arms a break.

FWIW, my problem with a weighted vest is numbness in the shoulders and arms after a bit. It may be that I'm just too darn skinny, but my walks with 75 lbs. in a loadable vest ended for that reason.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom