all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Programing Isometrics

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheBorg

Level 4 Valued Member
So after this last Tactical Games, and looking forward to another one in August, I wanted to run a 6-8 week cycle where I focus 4 days per week on absolute strength and just getting strong, and then go back into my usual minimalist strength and heavy conditioning type thing. I had originally planned on using the 4-day split program from "Purposeful Primitive" but then I read Steve Justa's "Rock Iron Steel." In this volume he talk about throwing hay bails around for a living, and how when he went on an Isometric lifting program his day job of wrestling huge heavy objects become much easier, as opposed to when he was making bar-bell gains that didn't really help at work. This applies directly to me because most of what I need to do is lift heavy things and carry them. At no point in competition or real life is there a bench with a barbell out there waiting for me to lift it! Also, said carry is almost never about absolute max, like powerlifting, and almost always about carrying something heavy for speed and distance, like carrying a heavy sandbag up stairs. In other words, my application is a lot more like Justa's farming job, and a lot less like powerlifting etc. So I decided to give his Isometric program a try. I am currently in the middle of week three of Justa's program, interspersed with 2-4 high intensity conditioning circuits per wek, and have been feeling great. However, this week I felt like I wasn't outputting as much power. According to the interwebs Isometrics are very stressfull on the CNS. Maybe the right answer to do two weeks of Justa's program, one week of a power-centric program or just conditioning, and then back to Justa's program for another two for a grand total 8-week cycle? Wanted your thoughts. Thanks.

So after this last Tactical Games, and looking forward to another one in August, I wanted to run a 6-8 week cycle where I focus 4 days per week on absolute strength and just getting strong, and then go back into my usual minimalist strength and heavy conditioning type thing. I had originally planned on using the 4-day split program from "Purposeful Primitive" but then I read Steve Justa's "Rock Iron Steel." In this volume he talk about throwing hay bails around for a living, and how when he went on an Isometric lifting program his day job of wrestling huge heavy objects become much easier, as opposed to when he was making bar-bell gains that didn't really help at work. This applies directly to me because most of what I need to do is lift heavy things and carry them. At no point in competition or real life is there a bench with a barbell out there waiting for me to lift it! Also, said carry is almost never about absolute max, like powerlifting, and almost always about carrying something heavy for speed and distance, like carrying a heavy sandbag up stairs. In other words, my application is a lot more like Justa's farming job, and a lot less like powerlifting etc. So I decided to give his Isometric program a try. I am currently in the middle of week three of Justa's program, interspersed with 2-4 high intensity conditioning circuits per wek, and have been feeling great. However, this week I felt like I wasn't outputting as much power. According to the interwebs Isometrics are very stressfull on the CNS. Maybe the right answer to do two weeks of Justa's program, one week of a power-centric program or just conditioning, and then back to Justa's program for another two for a grand total 8-week cycle? Wanted your thoughts. Thanks.
An not familiar with the programming you are using, but if whole body comprehensive isometric, 2x per week would be about it. Mentally it is tough to use a "maximum voluntary contraction" with a lot of frequency.

If you break it down to just a few holds of upper/lower per day you can train more frequently.

I view it as standard isotonic training creates the conditions for strength, isometrics teaches you how to most effectively recruit that strength for day to day.

Last edited:
Steve Justa's "Rock Iron Steel." In this volume he talk about throwing hay bails around for a living, and how when he went on an Isometric lifting program his day job of wrestling huge heavy objects become much easier,
Let's break this down...

Throwing Hay Bales

This is a Power Movement.

The Foundation of Power

Strength is the foundation on which Power is built.

Research show sthat Novice Lifter who focus on increasing Maximum Strength will automatically increase Power.

Maintaining and Increasing Strength is fundamental for Advance Lifter's Power Development.

Isometrics

Isometrics increase Maximum Strength when trained in the same manner as a Resistance (Weight Training) Program: Low Repetitions and Short Isometric Actions (around 5 second or less per Rep).

Thus, Isometric with this approach ensure Maximum Strength Gains.

he went on an Isometric lifting program his day job of wrestling huge heavy objects become much easier, as opposed to when he was making bar-bell gains that didn't really help at work.

Something's Wrong With This Picture

A well written and executed Maximum Strength Training Program with Weight is just as effective.

So, I have no idea about what he's taking about. However, something was definitely not right with whatever his Weighted Maximum Strength Training Program was; that is a given.

this week I felt like I wasn't outputting as much power.

What You Felt

In other word you are guessing; which is never good.

Unless you have some method of measuring it, you really don't know.

power-centric

Define This

What type of Training Program and Exercise does this involve?

week three of Justa's program, interspersed with 2-4 high intensity conditioning circuits per wek,

Your Training Issue

1) If are having a off week, it might just be that, an off week. It happens.

2) Another factors is that your in an Overreaching State. Overreaching precedes Overtraining. Overreading means you are in a slightly Overtrained State.

2) Your High Intensity Conditioning and/or the combination of it with your Isometric Program may have created an Overreached State in your training.

Since Overtraining is a slightly Overtrained State, you recovery quickly. It should be part of...

Periodization Training

Part of a training program objective should be push the limit or near to it the final week of training.

Then a new training program is begun that is light and easy. Each week the intensity is increase. In the final week, push the training program to the limits. Then start a new program.

This method allows for...

Active Recovery

Active Recovery means performing light, easy exercise. This method ensure faster recovery than...

Passive Recovery

This means sitting around doing nothing.

Maybe the right answer to do two weeks of Justa's program, one week of a power-centric program or just conditioning, and then back to Justa's program for another two for a grand total 8-week cycle?

That Might Work

It would provide you with some recovery time between your Isometric and High Intensity Training.

Another option is that combined both into one training program in...

A Periodization Training Program

A Periodization Training Program is a program planned over a certain number of weeks, with progressively loading.

The first week is something like and easy.

Each week the intensity is increased.

The final week is when you put it to the limit.

With Isometric as well High Intensity Training, a certain amount of Autoregulation need to occur; going by how hard if feels.

Each week during the training cycle, increase the intensity; with the final week pushing the limit.

High Intensity Training

To some degree, a heart rate monitor can provide some good feed back on where you intensity level with High Intensity Activities.

Thanks for the feedback. I had given up on this thread after I didn't get anything back for a couple days, just checked in after a couple busy weeks people actually posted on it. What I meant by power-centric was stuff like circuits of pistols followed by sprinting stairs, plyometric circuits, Q&D, etc. One major problem with isometric training is that it is hard to measure anything, which is one of several reasons why I am not using it as a staple of training, but as something that I am phasing in and out as an addition. I ended up taking a partial rest week because I had to travel for work, and then diving back in. I have decided to do two more two week blocks of isometrics 3x per week and running (sometimes weighted) based conditioning 2x per week, interspersed with 1 week blocks of doing heavy carries instead of isometrics (80+ LB ruck, 200LB barbell carry in deadlift position, 200LB sandbag carry, etc) Then get back to my normal conditioning program of 2x barbell lift per week, 1 long ruck or kit run, and 2X HIT type workouts. Also, thanks for the input on periodization, over reach, and over training. This is good stuff.

What I meant by power-centric was stuff like circuits of pistols followed by sprinting stairs, plyometric circuits

What is the objectivece of Power-Centrics?

There is not much, if any Power Training or develpment with a circuit of this nature.

This method increase your Metabolic Rate but is contra-indicated for increasing Power.

One major problem with isometric training is that it is hard to measure anything,

Measuring Isometric Training

That is one of the reason that very few perform Isometrics. It is hard but not impossible to measure.

That is the reason that most individual don't perform Isometrics, mostly men.

It an ego thing. They can't state that they can lift X amount of weight in a movement. .

Crane Scale

Tyler Nelson DC, MS, CSCS, in the article above, came up with one of the most innovative methods of measuring Force Output (Strength) in an Isomtric Action; for individual who would like some feedback on how they are doing, this is a great tool.

Accommodation Resistance

I attached Band or Chains to the Bar for Squats, Bench Press and some other movements.

This method is referred to as Accommodation Resistance.

In Ascending Strength Curve Exercises, the bottom part is the hardest part of the movement. It where tehg overloading occur; where the muscles are worked, trained and developed.

The upper part is easy. That mean not much overloading of the muscle occurs in this part of the movement; the muscle are not being effective worked, trained and developed in the top part of the movement.

Ascending Stregth Curve Exercises are Squats, Pressing Movements, Deadlifts, etc.

Attaching Bands or Chain ensures a greater overload is obtain throughout the full range of the movement, The muscles in the movement are being more effective worked.

As with Isometrics, it is hard to measure the Resistance Force of the Bands and to some extent the chains.

Fish Scale

A cheap and effective method of determining how much Force is produced with Band or Chains attached to the Squat, is with the Fish Scale; which I have.

My top end loading on a Squat is 25 lb more than the Bar Load.

That if the Loaded Squat Bar is 300 lbs with the Bands attached, the Total Top End Loading of the Squat in the fully erect locked out postion is 325 lbs.

Functioinal Isomterics

This method employs a short range Concentric Movement, usually in a Power Rack, with a Isometric Component.

A loaded bar siting on one set of pins is pushed into pins that are higher up. The bar is pushed into the upper, immovable pins and a Isometric is preformed.

This method allows you to increase the bar load, the amount of weight that you are able to drive into the upper pin; which allows some measurement of how much weight you can push into the upper pin.

One major problem with isometric training is that it is hard to measure anything
Cycle it and gauge your progress on similar isotonic movements, or just compare RPE in your day to day.

I had good luck using them in two ways:
- 20 second efforts with 40 second rest, two positions per "exercise" one on either side of the midpoint of the ROM. This being done whole body for a 30 minute session 2x per week. Dropped to 1x week after about 3 weeks because mentally I couldn't keep it up. In combination with jump rope HIIT session done within 2 days, it produced a profound effect on overall hypertrophy and usable strength. My loaded isotonic weights didn't increase tremendously, but they did continue to respond to linear training longer than I expected. Also, the HIIT session blew me up like a dose of Vita Rays after the Super Soldier Serum of isometrics. In a 12 minute HIIT session I could literally feel my T shirt and sweatpants getting tight. This effect was notable out to 2 days after the isometrics whether I did isotonic between or not.

- second approach is to fire for 2-3 second pulses for 4-5 repeats followed immediately with some form of high contraction speed movement involving the same movement pattern. Eg when doing legs I would sprint in place for 10 seconds.

I doesn't matter a whole lot if you can track progress real-time, RPE for a "maximum voluntary contraction" should be 10 of 10. Effort is all, its not as though if you develop less tension on a given day there is anything more you can do. It was the most force you could develop that day similar to doing a sprint bike session of HIIT - max effort is max effort. The important thing is you anchor yourself so you are not limiting effort to avoid unbalancing yourself or pulling yourself out of position - it is tough to be honest about that since the body will self regulate. This is the biggest problem with "dynamic tension", there needs to be a clear winner and loser, or the weaker movement will limit the stronger.

Last edited:
I had originally planned on using the 4-day split program from "Purposeful Primitive"
I know you are already pretty deep into your other program. But Marty's 12 week 4 day split gave me the single biggest strength, size, and power results I've ever had from a program. If you can do the whole 12 weeks it will pretty much change your body like nothing you've ever done.

The other thing is that I've seen that absolute strength converts to strength endurance pretty effectively. When I threw hay back in the day, being stronger sure was a huge benefit.

If I was hitting a wall this quickly into a program I'd probably switch to something else and chalk it up to that program isn't for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom