all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Programming Bent Presses and Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

S. G. Mason

Level 1 Valued Member
To cut a ling story short: hurt shoulder doing presses (my fault!) late July, got rotator cuff tendon thickening/impingement syndrome. Physio says that should now heal within around 4 months.

When I get back lifting I was thinking of S & S. But today the physio says he thinks bent presses will be even better for me, as they will also help a lot with the thoracic spine stiffness and front-to-rear body strength imbalances (weaker in the rear).

So, it got me thinking - to follow an S & S style 'leave plenty in the tank' how would you program these lifts? I guess swings can stay the same (100 with aerobic recovery).

The BPs are giving me a headache as to how many, how frequent and when to progress. How about 5 x 5 both sides, moving up simply when I can BP for 3 both sides, taking it easy, and adding reps until at 5 x 5 with the new heavier bell?

Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea. Have you done bent presses? Are you skilled at the movement? Didn't your therapist advise against learning new drills while recovering from an injury?

The starting position of a bent press requires a lot of external rotation. I have a history of shoulder problems, and I can not achieve a proper bent press starting position (and it hurts to try). Maybe this isn't a problem you have with your condition, but I would still start with exercises that could serve as regressions of the bent press, such as get ups, arm bars or windmills before jumping in to bent presses.

Coming off an injury/layoff like this, I'd actually recommend things like crawling and loaded carries before exercises that load the shoulder in more vulnerable ranges of motion.

Don't worry about progression. Worry about tolerance.

Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea. Have you done bent presses? Are you skilled at the movement? Didn't your therapist advise against learning new drills while recovering from an injury?

The starting position of a bent press requires a lot of external rotation. I have a history of shoulder problems, and I can not achieve a proper bent press starting position (and it hurts to try). Maybe this isn't a problem you have with your condition, but I would still start with exercises that could serve as regressions of the bent press, such as get ups, arm bars or windmills before jumping in to bent presses.

Coming off an injury/layoff like this, I'd actually recommend things like crawling and loaded carries before exercises that load the shoulder in more vulnerable ranges of motion.

Don't worry about progression. Worry about tolerance.

Hello Steve, he did advise against learning new stuff while I am injured but I'm thinking for beyond then, when I've healed. I do have some experience with the BP but I am going back to original RKC challenge book days. I think I abandoned them when ETK came out in 2006.

Steve F - ordered it on Kindle, enjoying the read, so far. Tamer also has many programs in the back, including his bent-press adaptation of S & S, so thanks for pointing me in his direction. Even if not particularly interested in bent pressing it's still a great read for strength lovers, particularly at Kindle price.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom