all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Programming for 100 power reps/day Mon-Fri

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fraser

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi, I'd appreciate opinions /advice on my KB programming, if possible. I want to do 100 power reps /day Mon - Fri before work.
Primary Goal: conditioning (max mitochondrial adaptations). Secondary goal: maintenance of strength.
Other exercise each week: 4 hrs MAF cycling; 3hrs tennis (occasionally glycolytic). I love swinging KBs but it is my third activity.
Limitation: I want to do my power reps in 15 mins only. So, waving the volume is limited.
Currently, I do Q&D (Swings / VPP) Mon (5/4), Weds (10/2), Fri (5/4). On Tues and Thurs I do A&A snatches 60 reps in 15 mins).
My KB work is preceded by dynamic stretching and followed by static stretching.
I suppose my question is, "Am I getting the most (mitochondrial) bang for my (15mins /day) buck?
I'm occasionally tempted to simplify and just do 10x10 swings on M, W, F and 10x10 Jerks on T and Th.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, what weight are you using? it sounds like you're doing pretty good.
If you're doing cycling below MAF you're already getting a lot of mitochondrial adaptations.

you don't need to do both Q&D and A+A, you could cycle 2-4 week blocks and train on M-W-F.

Hi, I'd appreciate opinions /advice on my KB programming, if possible. I want to do 100 power reps /day Mon - Fri before work.
Primary Goal: conditioning (max mitochondrial adaptations). Secondary goal: maintenance of strength.
Other exercise each week: 4 hrs MAF cycling; 3hrs tennis (occasionally glycolytic). I love swinging KBs but it is my third activity.
Limitation: I want to do my power reps in 15 mins only. So, waving the volume is limited.
Currently, I do Q&D (Swings / VPP) Mon (5/4), Weds (10/2), Fri (5/4). On Tues and Thurs I do A&A snatches 60 reps in 15 mins).
My KB work is preceded by dynamic stretching and followed by static stretching.
I suppose my question is, "Am I getting the most (mitochondrial) bang for my (15mins /day) buck?
I'm occasionally tempted to simplify and just do 10x10 swings on M, W, F and 10x10 Jerks on T and Th.
Thanks in advance.
Solid program IMO, hitting mitochondria from both sides, some volume,some intensity. I also like your swing and jerk idea, go on the :90 and your last set begins at 13:30.

Last edited:

IMO, no: you may be short-changing both Q&D and A+A - especially A+A.

As @Erik Hournou says above, you'd be better off doing the two in separate, alternating blocks.

Given your 15-minute/day constraint, I would favor Q&D 4x/week (M,T, Th, F or every other day) for 4 series but mixing it up between 033 & 044 and playing around with 5/4 and 10/2 (bearing in mind that Pavel says that Q&D more than 3x/week starts to yield diminishing returns).

An effective A+A session, however, should go for 30 mins at least...

Last edited:
IMO, no: you may be short-changing both Q&D and A+A - especially A+A.

As @Erik Hournou says above, you'd be better off doing the two in separate, alternating blocks.

Given your 15-minute/day constraint, I would favor Q&D 4x/week (M,T, Th, F or every other day) for 4 series but mixing it up between 033 & 044 and playing around with 5/4 and 10/2 (bearing in mind that Pavel says that Q&D more than 3x/week starts to yield diminishing returns).

An effective A+A session, however, should go for 30 mins at least...
Thanks for the advice. I am doing both because, (1) I want to use kb's every day mon-fri, and (2) I read Pavel saying that q&d and a+a complimented each other.
But I'm hearing from you that a better way to compliment them is in blocks rather than together.

If you want to express full power, it's good to have some rest days in between q&d sessions, you could simply practice with kbs for a few minutes on those days.

Thanks for the advice. I am doing both because, (1) I want to use kb's every day mon-fri, and (2) I read Pavel saying that q&d and a+a complimented each other.
But I'm hearing from you that a better way to compliment them is in blocks rather than together.
"Q&D and A+A (e.g., in its simplest form, 5 high power swings or snatches OTM, or on the minute) are highly complementary. Q&D builds more and bigger mitochondria and A+A makes them function better. (The technical terms are “mitochondrial biogenesis” and “mitochondrial respiration,” respectively.)"

I could be wrong, but figure Pavel means consecutive rather than concurrent complementarity [is that even a word?]

One exercise, wreck shop.
Love this - that's Q&D 044 for me:
A+A snatching - workhorse
Q&D snatches - raging bull

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but figure Pavel means consecutive rather than concurrent complementarity
I'd guess you are right. I remember at the back of Q&D, Pavel says something about blocks. But for me, I can't imagine why it would make any difference long term.

I'd guess you are right. I remember at the back of Q&D, Pavel says something about blocks. But for me, I can't imagine why it would make any difference long term.
Because its more effective, but less time efficient to target each mitochondrial adaptation in a separate block. If you want to train both in the same block you can do S&S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom